L35 rear axles

rxpx40

Equipment
L35
Aug 25, 2015
Buda
Hey all, Newbie here. Helping a neighbor with his L35 bargain he picked up from the coast. It appears the PO let the rear lug bolts get loose which in turn wallered out the lug holes in the rear wheels, which then wallered out the bolt holes in the rear axle flanges. These L35 Compacts have flanges on the outside of the axles that the wheel bolts to instead of wheel hubs that are removable. The question is: How much of a PITA will it be to replace these axles? Neighbor is willing to buy new ones and if I have to tools, I am willing to do the labor. Has anyone taken on this beast of a job? If so, what am I looking at? Dropping the rear drive unit?
Thanks in advance.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Fairly easy job if you ask me, But I'm nutty enough to think a complete tear down is easy.

Just pull the cases (in blue) and unbolt the axles (nut in yellow).

Attachments

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I had several L-35 TLBs. It was common to miss tightening the rear wheels and have the wheels wallow out. I had a machine shop make a weld on repair for the rear wheels. They were welded on and I replaced the lug bolts with longer bolts. Worked like a charm. Much cheaper than replacing the wheels. My local Kubota dealer used several of them. I am supposed to have one left. If you like, I will find it and send it to you. I'm told that the machine shop still has it programmed. As for the hubs, do you have enough room to drill the wallowed holes a little bigger so you can insert bolts from the inside and weld them to act as studs?

rxpx40

Equipment
L35
Aug 25, 2015
Buda
I had several L-35 TLBs. It was common to miss tightening the rear wheels and have the wheels wallow out. I had a machine shop make a weld on repair for the rear wheels. They were welded on and I replaced the lug bolts with longer bolts. Worked like a charm. Much cheaper than replacing the wheels. My local Kubota dealer used several of them. I am supposed to have one left. If you like, I will find it and send it to you. I'm told that the machine shop still has it programmed. As for the hubs, do you have enough room to drill the wallowed holes a little bigger so you can insert bolts from the inside and weld them to act as studs?
Thanks for the reply. Said neighbor has already purchased new wheels and tires due to the fact that the old tires were completely shot and he suspected something amiss with the wheels. I do have plenty of room to drill out the holes and it would be necessary since at least one of them appears to have a new angle to it, and two studs are broken off in the flange, so I could wrestle with that repair or bite the bullet and tear down the rear drive to replace the axles. That would be the owner's call. But it gives me a couple options for him. Thanks again!