L345HD hydraulics and power steering quit working

ed58

Jul 15, 2017
Thompson sta. Tn. US
The power steering stop working saw the tank was empty so I filled it and it worked for a while then quite.filled it again it ran out. I put some Lucas power steering stop leak in the tank it worked for a few minutes then I lost all my hydraulics. What do I do now?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Rebuild or replace the hydraulic pump, as it sounds like it's blown a seal.

And while your at it check the motor oil and see if it's over filled.

ed58

Jul 15, 2017
Thompson sta. Tn. US
Bought a B2320HSD in 2014 and sold in for a good price this spring with 200 hours. Used year round keeping the drive up, mowing, loader work, lifting, and snowblowing. Not a single issue with it. Only thing I had to keep on hand were shear bolts for the blower.

Now have an L3560HSTC I got this spring, and have 45 hours on it. Threw a P2414 code, and dealer called Kubota rep who said it is an EGR failure. Said if it is not full of soot, it is likely going to need replacing (he told them to have one on hand when they check it out because usually they are defective when that code shows up). I can keep running until I take it in, but it will be covered under warranty. They will take care of it in September when I bring it in to have a front snow blower set up on it (last month they had a nice - low hour blower at a price I could not refuse). Other than that issue - which they are taking care of- it has been a great tractor.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Rebuild or replace the hydraulic pump, as it sounds like it's blown a seal.

And while your at it check the motor oil and see if it's over filled.
Thanks I've never done this before but the tractor is so old that they don't have parts for it any more. I have started draining the hydraulic oil. I filled a 5gal tub but didn't know how much more there is. I hope I'm not biteing off more than I can handale. [emoji11]

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
Thanks I've never done this before but the tractor is so old that they don't have parts for it any more. I have started draining the hydraulic oil. I filled a 5gal tub but didn't know how much more there is. I hope I'm not biteing off more than I can handale. [emoji11]

If you need help just ask, I live in Lebanon TN.

I rebuilt automatic transmissions for 20 years so I'm sure we can fix it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You really don't need to drain all of it to work on the pump.

You can get parts even with it being old.

Do you have the WSM?
If not, send me a PM and I'll send you a link for it.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The hydraulics and power steering have separate pumps. They may both have bad seals. Any oil leaking to the outside?

ed58

Jul 15, 2017
Thompson sta. Tn. US
The hydraulics and power steering have separate pumps. They may both have bad seals. Any oil leaking to the outside?
I went ahead and drained all the hydraulic oil and cleaned the filter screen it hasn't been cleaned in years. Put in New oil but it didn't help. Before I drained all the oil the hydraulics worked for a while then would quit working. Now it doesn't do anything. I guess I will start taking the pump off next as I get time. In the meantime I sure need to bush hog 15 acres. Does anyone know the best place to rent a tractor with a bush hog?

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
I think a problem in this thread might be not enough information.

First, there isn't a Kubota model L345HD. Please confirm the model. If it's really a L345 or L345DT the hydraulic systems for steering and loader are separate and don't share fluid. The symptoms might mean two unrelated problems depending on the model.

If your main hydraulic reservoir is full (5 gal +) the 3-point and loader should work even if the power steering doesn't.

The steering reservoir is much smaller so a leak affects it sooner.

Last edited:

ed58

Jul 15, 2017
Thompson sta. Tn. US
If you need help just ask, I live in Lebanon TN.

I rebuilt automatic transmissions for 20 years so I'm sure we can fix it.
Well, I got the hydraulic pump of the tractor and took it apart. It looks like the seals are not the problem. The shaft that turns the gears or pump blades was lose.The bushing was worn which caused the shaft to turn just enough to lock up the blades. What should I do now?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Maybe go to a hydraulic repair shop and see if they have something. If not, you may need to visit a machine shop and have one fabricated.

You could go here, http://www.kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx and slide to the bottom of all the legal stuff and click "agree".

Then go down and enter you tractor model number, L345DT, then look for hydraulic system, (click at the very beginning) and find hydraulic pump (PS).

You'll find pictures of your pump with numbers to parts. Find what you need and call Coleman's (or you favorite Kubota dealer) and ask for the part number you need.

ed58

Jul 15, 2017
Thompson sta. Tn. US
It is a L345DT. I took the hydraulic pumps off and took them apart. It turned out the bushing that the drive shaft goes through was worn and there was play in the shaft. This caused the gears or blades in the pump to lock up. I guess this caused the blelt to slip that drives the shaft. I went to the dealer and they can't get the parts I need. So far I haven't found a machine shop that can take the bushing out and replace it.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
......... I guess this caused the belt to slip that drives the shaft.....................
It looks like the rear power steering pump may be ok, just not being turned by the main pump.

The pump shaft is driven by gears from the fuel camshaft (there's not a belt). If the shaft isn't turning, something else in its drive sytem must be broken.

A new 2-pump assembly appears to be discontinued. But usable main pump looks to be available from these people. They list a used 35340-36100 pump in stock - which would have many of the parts your pump needs. Its not a dual pump assembly but it has the same body as your main pump and your power steering pump should bolt to it. Not sure about the shaft - might need to rehab yours.

There are two drive gears off the rear end of the fuel camshaft. One has 23 teeth and is part 37810-37830. The other is 37300-37810 (? teeth). Maine tractor crossing lists both in stock. Hopefully there's just a sheared key somewhere.

Go slow and be patient - good luck, Dick B

Attachments

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Ed:
Did you find the oil level rising anywhere (trans or engine) when the recently-filled power steering tank leaked out soon? Maybe the ps pump has a problem too?

My L345DT developed a leak at the integral power steering box. There's a discussion of it here. The leakage went into the clutch housing and came out a bottom drain, running across the loader frame and dripping off in more than one place, so it was confusing where it was coming from. Dick B

Last edited:

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello

I am parting out two Kubota L345DT tractors. I have two good used hydraulic pumps. If you need one seed me a PM.
Thank You Lance

L345DT Norway

Equipment
1982 Kubota L345DT. Bergsjø 912M frontloader. Tokvam 140MS snowblower.
Nov 14, 2017
Norway
You really don't need to drain all of it to work on the pump.

You can get parts even with it being old.

Do you have the WSM?
If not, send me a PM and I'll send you a link for it.
Could I bee so kind to get the download link for the WSM? I have looked for a place to buy it for download, but I cant find it..

I am changing the clutch discs and it would be really helpful :)

Stian S.