L3240 Steering issues

wynbul

Feb 19, 2017
Tylertown, Mississippi
I have a Kubota L3240 that I've had for several years that has 164 hours on it. A couple of days ago is was using the front end loader bucket to push some brush in a wooded area next to my house. This was not heavy brush-I did have the tractor in 4WD and was definitely not putting the tractor in a bind. I noticed that the "power" steering was requiring a lot more effort on my part than it normally does as I was pushing.

I got done with what I was doing, and I took the tractor out of 4WD and returned to my home to put the tractor away, I noticed on the way back to the house that the steering problem continued even after I finished using the loader and in 2WD and just driving on the road home. It is just very hard to steer whether I try to turn left or right. I checked my hydraulic fluid and it was in normal operating range. I checked the oil in the front (for 4WD) and noticed it was a little low. It took about a quart to fill it up.

I have been told that steering problems are pretty common on these L Series tractors, but I don't know if that is true or not. Just wondering (hoping) that someone here might have some answers fro me. The nearest dealer is about 40 miles away and if it is something that I can fix myself I would like to at least know what Km looking at before hauling the tractor 40 miles and getting bent over, if you get my drift. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I appreciate it! Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That tractor has hydrostatic steering, steering on L's are not problematic, quite the opposite, they are extremely reliable and tough.

First: Inspect the ram that controls the steering and make sure that it's not damaged and no shields are hitting it.
Second: Check lines that go from the ram to the controller as pushing brush can cause a line to kink or become damaged.
Third: If all else looks good, jack up both front wheels if the steering seems to be normal, you most likely have an internal seal failure.
You can confirm this by removing one line and turn the steering so that fluid only goes into the line that is connected to the cylinder, if fluid flows out of the open port on the other side of the cylinder then the seal is blown. ;)

wynbul

Feb 19, 2017
Tylertown, Mississippi
The "ram" that controls the steering? I apologize but I haven't a clue what the "ram" is or where it is located? Could you be a little more specific? I appreciate your response-I have fair mechanical aptitude, but sometimes a little slow. Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The steering cylinder / Ram (In yellow) is bolted to the front of the axle and has shields over the ends (in red), one issue is the shields get bent and hit the ram or the tie rods on the ends of the ram.

Attachments

Last edited:

wynbul

Feb 19, 2017
Tylertown, Mississippi
Wolfman, I don't see any kinks in lines, the shields aren't bent and there is plenty of clearance between the rams and the shields on both sides. I lifted the front end off the ground and turned the wheel in both directions and it steers just like it does with front end on the ground. I thank you for attempting to help me. This is a head scratcher. The power steering works a little bit, but it is much harder to steer than normal. Any other suggestions by chance, short of hauling it to the dealer?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Only other simple thing to check is if there is a mechanical issue in the linkage and joints that go from the steering wheel to the steering controller, possibly a stick has bent the linkage?

Attachments

Last edited:

wynbul

Feb 19, 2017
Tylertown, Mississippi
Wolfman, I thank you again for your help. I'm going to follow the linkage from the steering column all the way out. I'll have to wait until tomorrow when I have some light to work with. This old country boy from south Mississippi appreciates all of your help. Thank you again, Wolfman. God bless you, Sir. I will follow up here tomorrow with what I find. The stuff I was pushing yesterday was pretty small stuff-we have a lot of hedge bushes that how in the woods down here in this part of the world and the things are taking over. They are pretty small in diameter (2-3 inches diameter) but they have one hell of a root system. I'm not sure if that stuff could bend the linkage on that tractor, but I've been operating tractors on this place since I was 8 years old and I've seen a lot of things get bent and broken. This is the first time I've had this particular situation.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Steering shaft support bearing is probably seizing. OR one of the u-joints. I've done a few support bearings in the past; same complaints, it gets tight, harder to steer. Easy to diagnose to. Remove the support from the tractor but leave the shaft connected. 17mm bolt as I recall. If the bearing is tight, you'll know it real quick.