L3010 Front axle repair

runrun338

Equipment
l3010 hts , jd 3520 e-hydro , 2004 gmc duramax 3500hd
Nov 1, 2015
north yarmouth
I noticed a systematic clicking from my front axle (under load driving).
It was 3 clicks every full rotation of my right front tire when I jacked the front end off the ground.
I do not hear the clicking from the axle.
I have pulled the hub off and have found that the outer wheel bearing is bad, my gears look fine, just a little wear on them.
I have ordered a new bearing and new seals.

Should I keep taking the axle apart to inspected it?
Thanks for your time
Sorry for typos

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Most of the time it's one part failure that's causing a noise and if there is no other damage to close parts, I would feel confident to just replace the bad bearing and of course the seal too. ;)

Now, if there was no oil in the housing on disassembly then I would worry about other damage to other parts. :eek:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
When the bearing failed, where did all of the parts of it end up?

99% of the time, the metal just drops into the housing, then gravity pulls it down into the lower kingpin bearing area, which is why I suggest to pull the cap off of the bottom of the kingpin, remove the retaining ring and the shims, then drop out the shaft/bearing assembly and clean/inspect it. That's usually the only place I ever see any other issue, and that's only if the hub bearing came apart.

runrun338

Equipment
l3010 hts , jd 3520 e-hydro , 2004 gmc duramax 3500hd
Nov 1, 2015
north yarmouth
i have change the bad bearing and seal it was the outer on the right front there was a fair amount of oil not to the level check but at least 3 quarts there was not to mutch wear on my gears i it this point have pushed snow for about 12 hours on the tractor i have some time to work on it and i think i will take the cap off my lower king pin i can deal with the retaining clip shaft and bearing but i have to found how to remove the cap itself i know it is probably very simple thanks for you time
sorry for tipos

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On the bearing you replaced, was there pieces of the bearing or cage missing?
or did it just have flat spots on the bearing rollers?

If no parts missing, just flat spots, no need to pull it, if there was parts of the bearing or cage missing then pulling it would be a good choice.

The bottom cap is a press fitted cap, just use a semi sharp chisel and hit the lip forcing it down, then remove the snap ring and pull the bearing out the bottom.