L2950DT slipping out of 4WD

Poor Mtn

Equipment
Kubota L2950DT, Bush Hog FEL, Box and Scraper Blade
Dec 6, 2013
Elliston, VA
I have noticed mostly when driving downhill the tractor slipping out of 4wd into 2wd. I recently had a new Bush Hog FEL installed and rear wheels filled with fluid. Has anybody had these issues?

The tractor has only 400+ hours and I have owned it for over five years with no issues. I mainly use it for road maintenance/snow removal (box and scraper blade) and hauling wood (small trailer). I live on steep a ridge and use 4wd often. I checked the lever connect and everything seems tight and it shifts smoothly.

Thanks guys (girls?), any help appreciated!!

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Never had that problem? Might be some type of adjustment in the sift linkage?

Make sure you have a good bit of counter weight (500lbs+) on the 3 pt hitch when using that new loader. Tire ballast is good, but not the same..

Poor Mtn

Equipment
Dec 6, 2013
Elliston, VA
Thanks Bluegill, I use the box blade with my old suitcase weights mounted on top.

It seems odd I didn't have the issue before the fel but it could be coincidence. I noticed my hydraulic level was lower since the fel was installed but it is still above the line.

I can hold the lever as I am driving down the hill and this keeps it from slipping out.

Maybe I'll do the ole farmer's fix and wrap some balers twine around the 4wd shifter and the low/hi shifter!

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
This usually means the teeth that engage when you move the shifter are getting worn (ie at an angle ) and pushing themselves apart , back to not engaged.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
This usually means the teeth that engage when you move the shifter are getting worn (ie at an angle ) and pushing themselves apart , back to not engaged.
Yea, before you use bailers twine, at least deduce what is actually wrong with it. Some things can be nursed along, while others will get worse when ignored.
I don't know your tractor, but I am assuming that you don't have linkage, but a ball detent. Sometimes that ball or the slot that it rides in gets worn, and won't hold in place.
Welcome to the forum from another Virginian! I am about 2 hours up the road from you (Waynesboro area).

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah really ,its not working now so what ya got to loose, nothing but maybe a big hunk of change down the road, right now it just might be a bit of an adjustment in the linkage. later on,,who knows

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
2 things could be going on:

1: You have excessive tire wear.
2: The detent balls or spring are worn or stuck.

First repair, replace the tires.
Second repair, pull the 4x4 case and shaft and fix it, it's an easy repair.

#4 is the detent balls and #5 is the spring
L2950 4x4.jpg

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Good point about the tires, Wolfman!

It could have wrong size front or back, R1 & R4 mix match? This might not have been a problem until the weight of the FEL was added & all that weight is felt by the front axle.

Poor Mtn

Equipment
Dec 6, 2013
Elliston, VA
Thanks for the replies. I was just kiddin about the "farmer's fix", yes I will repair asap as this symptom just started. I would like to fix before the weather hits, which was yesterday!!

The tires are stock R4s front and back, 400 hrs, not worn but fronts are cracking on the sidewalls.

I will open up the case and check the spring and balls (I could insert a joke here but I will keep it clean.). I am still unsure why only downhill. Is it the centrifugal force plus the added front end weight?

Thanks again guys for the input. Anyone know the best place for a service manual for this model? I think I saw one on ebay for about 60/70 bucks, is this high?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Poor Mtn,
Shot me your Email in a PM and I'll send you a PDF copy.;)