L285 30 yr old?? Fan Belt

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
SOOO figured out why my 1975 vintage L285 fan belt looks SO BAD!!

During my water pump change I planned to change all the hoses and fan belt and thermostat (more on that in a min)

I know the fan belt is at least 25 years old and maybe older 30? the tractor is 45 years old but cant imagine the belt lasted that long!

The reason it is SOOOO OLD is because in order to change it you have to disconnect the hydraulic pump which is directly driven by the crank shaft. The belt goes around the crank pulley so will be figuring that part out this weekend.

Radiator will get a clean and pressure check before installing the new water pump but have a question about the thermostat.

Living in Texas it does not get very cold here (for very long) and wondering if running no thermostat would be OK.
I don't think it would hurt and most of the tractor operations are conducted in hot temperatures so thinking the free flow wouldn't hurt.
Thoughts?
It is all apart for the fan belt/waterpump/radiator and hoses so figured might as well change it too while it's all torn apart...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You should keep your thermostat for a couple reasons: The coolant flow without a thermostat will increase... leaving insufficient “dwell” time in the radiator and will reduce cooling...not improve it.
Also, the thermostat ensures that cold coolant flow does not prevent your engine from warming up to the proper temperature.... thereby keeping water vapor from continually forming inside your oil sump. The thermostat brings your engine temp up to proper operating temp quickly and keeps it there. You want that.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Ditto what Geohorn said -

Coolant will flow SO fast past a hot surface - it will not pick up heat as well, plus you want to get the engine to temp as fast as possible. Whoever designed the thermostat was one smart cookie.

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
Ok thanks for the insight so looks like the Thermostat is a go... any input on the fan belt?

I really do not want to disassemble the entire front of the tractor for a fan belt... NOT like I have a choice tho...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
There are not many instances in which I’d strongly recommend replacing with only an OEM v-belt...but this may be one. There are standardized and non-standard V-belt dimensions and if you install a belt that differs from what Kubota initially installed.... it might not reach the same years of service as you’ve already enjoyed. Also, rubber parts including V-belts have “shelf lives” in which they must be either chronologically renewed even if warehoused... or they must be specially packaged to preserve the integrity of the rubber compound. If you don’t know the dimensions of your belt when new then you may not be able to meet it’s dimensional requiements which will shorten it’s life. (If it’s as difficult as you say to replace it now.... you likely do not want to have to repeat it soon. See the following link, not to sell you from that provider, but to illustrate the differences in V-belts which otherwise might lead you to buy aftermarket and suffer early failure.)

Reactions: 1 user

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
... I’d strongly recommend replacing with only an OEM v-belt.....
GeoHorn
Kinda cut n pasted you post and FYI I did get the OEM belt to replace the one that is installed. Pretty sure the belt installed is not OEM as the alternator has almost ZERO adjustment for tension (meaning the belt was short) the issue I have is I think I have to remove the hydraulic pump to change the belt; YIKES!!! Gonna tackle this repair this weekend... MORE to come!!

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
71hphXS9p6L._SL1500_.jpg
Anyone ever use a belt like this?
After looking at the front end of my L285 in order to replace the fan belt I will have to remove the hood, battery, hydraulic pump and some brackets which just does not sound like fun... Then I have to hope the drive spline to the pump will separate so I can get the
belt around the crank pulley...

I have read a few reviews where this type belt was used in an emergency situation but ended up staying on the vehicle (one was a tractor) for a very long time.
This would save me a lot of tearing apart stuff which has the potential for requiring more parts (hoses etc)

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
Well tore into the front end and after removing the hood the hydraulic pump is only held in place by four bolts so out they came. The crankshaft spline was held in place by two allen head set screws which were pretty tight but came out with a little hammer help. The spline also need a little hammer time but slid off easy enough.

Access to the crank pulley was achieved but it seems the fan belt is a little short which might be the reason it was so tight and led to the waterpump bearing failure.

More to come...

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
ANY L285 owners out there? Anyone have a clear diagram of the dynamo/alternator bracket?

Wondering if there is a washer "behind" the tension adjustment bracket.

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
Here is a Parts Diagram
THANKS whiteiger!!

No washer "behind" the tension adjustment bracket; Got it!
A little rubber mallet persuasion got the clearance I needed to install the fan belt.
Please: Where is this diagram from? All the ones I have seen are very grainy/blurry this one is FANTASTIC!!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
THANKS whiteiger!!

No washer "behind" the tension adjustment bracket; Got it!
A little rubber mallet persuasion got the clearance I needed to install the fan belt.
Please: Where is this diagram from? All the ones I have seen are very grainy/blurry this one is FANTASTIC!!
https://www.kubotausa.com/parts, click illustrated parts list, next window click view illustrated parts list, next window click accept terms, then "OPEN" box, next window you can put in your model number and view all parts pages.

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
https://www.kubotausa.com/parts, click illustrated parts list, next window click view illustrated parts list, next window click accept terms, then "OPEN" box, next window you can put in your model number and view all parts pages.
I do have that link and I was kinda going crazy because I know I had check there.

L285 is my model not 2850... Good kuz I'm not crazy!! The L285 diagrams (at the same link) SUK and are very grainy.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I do have that link and I was kinda going crazy because I know I had check there.

L285 is my model not 2850... Good kuz I'm not crazy!! The L285 diagrams (at the same link) SUK and are very grainy.
Must be your browser then, I get the pictures clear. Where did 2850 come from??

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
Must be your browser then, I get the pictures clear. Where did 2850 come from??
The diagram referenced is labeled: "L2850DT -> ELECTRICAL SYSTEM -> T03600 DYNAMO ## L2850DT
Update Date: 09/24/2017"

I have an L285 and the pictures are not very clear like the 2850.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The diagram referenced is labeled: "L2850DT -> ELECTRICAL SYSTEM -> T03600 DYNAMO ## L2850DT
Update Date: 09/24/2017"

I have an L285 and the pictures are not very clear like the 2850.
Ok, I see what you are saying. When I put in L285, it also lists L2850 in the selections. I clicked on the wrong line and did not notice. There is no washer behind the bracket on an L285 either.
Yes, the picture is a little fuzzy.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
View attachment 52609 Anyone ever use a belt like this?
After looking at the front end of my L285 in order to replace the fan belt I will have to remove the hood, battery, hydraulic pump and some brackets which just does not sound like fun... Then I have to hope the drive spline to the pump will separate so I can get the
belt around the crank pulley...

I have read a few reviews where this type belt was used in an emergency situation but ended up staying on the vehicle (one was a tractor) for a very long time.
This would save me a lot of tearing apart stuff which has the potential for requiring more parts (hoses etc)
I have used the Fenner Power Twist belt shown in your picture on some metalforming machinery where the belt was exposed to an oil mist that would dissolve "normal" belts in a few weeks. They work great but are pricey...well worth the investment and I also used them on industrial applications where disassembly of the equipment was a hassle. They can be threaded around a pulley with limited access, joined together and then tensioned as usual. They ARE directional, so make sure that they are running the proper way according to manufacturers instructions.

I also use them in triplicate on my Jet cabinet saw...smooooth running! I can balance a nickel on edge on my table saw while it's running. Harbor Freight sells a knockoff of the Fenner Power Twist but it's not made nearly as well.

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
THANKS mcfarmall!!
I did decide to remove the hyd pump and shaft to change the belt but next time may be different. Hope this belt lasts 20+ years too kuz I will be living at the beach by then!!

Orange L285

Equipment
L285 1200FEL
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
How old? The world will never know...
THANKS EVERYONE for all the help getting this done!! Appreciate you all!!!
IMG_5665.JPG
IMG_5668.JPG