L260 clutch sticking without the block?

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Well I haven't been around in a while and at this juncture in time I'm looking at selling my L175 to move into an L260.

So I looked at this L260 and he tells me about the clutch sticking if it sets for a long time without the block stuck behind the pedal. HUH ????????? THat really threw me. My L175 can sit almost forever and the clutch will never stick but there was an official looking block with directions labeled on it stating it must be behind the pedal when the tractor would sit for long periods. Ok so here it is........ wait for it.....

WHY ?????

What is the cause of the clutch sticking if it sits? I understand this is normal. Does this have to do with material? If I install a new design or updated material clutch will this go away?

So odd to me. What can you tell me about this?
Also what things to look out for on this L260 that I want to buy?

Last edited:

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
How is it that the moisture seems more of an issue for this L260 than say my L175? Is there supposed to be the same block for my L175 and I just don't know about it?
I haven't had this prob with mine but mine doesn't sit on the ground where moisture can rise up into it.

steve104c

Equipment
L4600,loader,backhoe w/hydro-thumb, rear blade
Jan 21, 2014
Texas
ipz2222 is right. On my new L4600 there is a hook under the clutch pedal. The salesperson said if I'm not going to use the tractor for a while, I need to push the clutch down and put the hook over the pedal because it could rust the pressure plates together..........steve104c

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
ipz2222 is right. On my new L4600 there is a hook under the clutch pedal. The salesperson said if I'm not going to use the tractor for a while, I need to push the clutch down and put the hook over the pedal because it could rust the pressure plates together..........steve104c

This disclaimer also applies to your new tractor? :eek: :eek:
I guess my thinking now is the L260 must be no different from the norm and that geo-moisture can rise into any bell housing.

The owner of this L260 must have left it in the rain or around moisture since he experienced this.

The dry brakes on my L175 can get sticky or grabby and noisy if it sits in a hard rain. Some water or moisture gets by the seal on the brake cover in this situation but the brakes will slowly get better. I don't leave my tractor uncovered or outside for the most part so I don't have issues like this.

I understand ferrous metal pressed firmly against something and rusting to it. Since there was an official block in the tool box of this L260 it made me think there was something unique or specially different here that required the block but if the new product has this same concern then I understand this to be like anything else that has these components.

Growing up with other tractors I never ran across such a thing but we also used our tractors nearly every day.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Aquaforce - welcome back to the forum, I was wondering where you went to.

My L185 has the same block in the parts list.

I just use a 2x4 block on its side under the foot board and between the pedal since my tractor sits outside.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
My B7100 sits in a storage area that is prone to moisture and condensation.

I have experienced the same sticking issues in the past, after long periods of sitting.
Seeing this post jogged my memory about having seen info about using a 2x4 under the floorboards, many years ago. Not sure if it was on OTT or somewhere else.

Age seems to have effected my memory these days. :D

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
AQUA!!! welcome back buddy!!! Like the others have mentioned all tractor clutch pedals can freeze up and stick due to moisture and rust. You could have been getting lucky with your L175 and have not had the problem happen just yet. You being down south in Georgia you could be in a warmer drier climate that doesn't get alot of atmospheric moisture and humidity to cause YOUR clutch to seize up.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
The L175 also has a Pedal Block (#45) in the parts list of the clutch pedal. The L1500 (same as the L175) also has the Pedal Block with it.

Ok Thanks. I didn't think to go home and look that up in my manual. So in general Kubota says keep the clutch disengaged and it cant rust together. Cool that they look out for the owner like that.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Aquaforce - welcome back to the forum, I was wondering where you went to.

My L185 has the same block in the parts list.

I just use a 2x4 block on its side under the foot board and between the pedal since my tractor sits outside.

I think all this discussion is stirring my grey matter such that I may have recalled reading about this when I bought my manual for the tractor but that out of sight out of mind thing got me. :D

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
AQUA!!! welcome back buddy!!! Like the others have mentioned all tractor clutch pedals can freeze up and stick due to moisture and rust. You could have been getting lucky with your L175 and have not had the problem happen just yet. You being down south in Georgia you could be in a warmer drier climate that doesn't get alot of atmospheric moisture and humidity to cause YOUR clutch to seize up.
Hey Eric, THanks and good to be here! :D

I grew up in the mid west regions of the corn belt and a tractor was a way of life then. We used it all the time and I never observed a stuck clutch. Now that I am here in the south the region here around Atlanta is very humid but my tractor is pampered in controlled climate areas that I park it. Mostly on concrete inside the shop with a moisture barrier under the floor so I have not experienced it here.......

BUT....... All this talk makes me think of the track loader I just bought. The right side steer brake handle is flopping loose like it is not hooked to the linkage. This JD 450 has a dry drive clutch and since it has not been disengaged for years due to this linkage problem I expect the drive clutch is rusted stuck. This machine sat outside on the ground so geo-moisture probably built up in the hub area. Guess I'll find out when I get it home. It should get here this week. I bought it about two hours from here up in Rome GA.

Last edited: