L2550 Starter Not Engaging.....Sometimes

Stob

Apr 5, 2013
VA
I put a volt meter on my system when I installed the new alternator, and it appears the battery is fully charged. Every once in a while, when I go to start, the starter doesn't engage in the start position of the key. The dash lights go dim too. I let off the key, try again, sometimes takes several tries and then it engages and turns over great and starts. It seems like the drive doesn't align between teeth on the flywheel, and the start motor stalls. Is that overrun clutch serviceable? I thought maybe if it was gummed up it may do this. Again, once it does engage, it spins the motor great.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sounds as if your bendix is trying to engage but is stuck - this would draw several amps and cause the lights to dim as well.

Have you cleaned ALL connections so they are bright and tight?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
A battery can appear (and be) fully charged but unable to source the current required to turn the starter adequately. As suggested, clean and tighten all connections. Don't overlook the ground from battery to frame. If the problem persists have the battery load tested. As a quick and dirty test be sure your battery is fully charged. Measure the voltage - should be about 12.6. While holding the voltmeter leads in place on the battery have somebody crank the starter and monitor the battery voltage. It should drop to about eleven.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Is that overrun clutch serviceable? I thought maybe if it was gummed up it may do this. Again, once it does engage, it spins the motor great.
Not sure about your particular starter. But generally, they are serviceable.