L2501 Modifications

72401L2501

Equipment
L2501
May 3, 2021
Jonesboro, AR
Hey guys I’m back it’s been a minute! The time has come to release a full turbo kit. This will be available to purchase on our website 4Nmotorsport.com in the next two weeks.

I have now pushed this tractor over 350hours with the turbo and it’s Making an estimated 40-45hp with no issues. I will have two options for the kit. You will be able to purchase with a full 304l stainless tig welded exhaust either straight pipe or I can include a 2.5 muffler with a turn down. I will have some pics up here shortly of the full kit.

My apologies for being absent on this forum. I almost lost everything to the Caldor fire out here in California last year. it definitely wasn’t fun and slowed me down quite a bit but I am back at it making turbo kits👍🤘
Anyone see it on the website yet? I must have missed it...

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
I haven’t seen it either. Should have some additional options soon.

Mike

NetMagi

Equipment
BX25D (sold), L2501HST w/BH77 Backhoe
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
here's what i got for today,
tractor: L2501DT
elevation: ~1200ft
weather: @ testing 71*
tractor running time: 1:15min
implements: FEL & 5' bush hog
total operating weight: ~4200#
max rpm: 2350 vs NetMagi's 2650
terrain: very hilly

operating tractor,
dirt: WOT L2-L4 gear (4X4 engaged) FEL work, temps 450*-600*

N road: WOT H8 gear (4X4 disengaged) 1mi ~10 deg hill, temps reached 936*

S road: WOT H8 gear (4X4 disengaged) 2.8mi. drove down to corner gas station for fuel.. pretty much a down hill ride. 1st mile on the way back temps gradually increased to 650* . from there, turned off main road and headed up to the ridge. its about 1/4mi up to the top at ~20 deg angle. temps peaked at 1070* and rpm's dropped 1800-1700.

still see a puff of black smoke when starting the tractor... not as bad as before the mod though. i did NOT notice any smoke under loads.
still have plenty of dirt work, clearing, and bush hogging to do this year... im ready for some warm weather and hard work with this little bull!

questions, comments or something i can improve on?

thanks for all yalls help @NetMagi and @Rdrcr
I found the highest temp when I was feathering the pedal on the HST (I know you have gear) to see only about 200rpm of bog. If I let is bog as far down as what you're seeing, my temps actually went down. Not sure how you could duplicate with a gear-drive using just elevation change. Ideally, we'd all be testing @ the PTO with something that we could infinitely adjust the drag with, like a dyno. I've been keeping my eye out for a PTO-driven generator at a good price to use with some resistive heaters.

Thx again for sharing.

Reactions: 1 user

tractorX

Equipment
KUBOTA L2501 DT 5' BOX BLADE 42" FORKS PIRANHA TB 5' BUSH HOG 6' GRADER
Sep 27, 2013
Rock Spring GA.
I found the highest temp when I was feathering the pedal on the HST (I know you have gear) to see only about 200rpm of bog. If I let is bog as far down as what you're seeing, my temps actually went down. Not sure how you could duplicate with a gear-drive using just elevation change. Ideally, we'd all be testing @ the PTO with something that we could infinitely adjust the drag with, like a dyno. I've been keeping my eye out for a PTO-driven generator at a good price to use with some resistive heaters.

Thx again for sharing.
whats up my l2501 brother, good to hear from you again!
keep those mods and videos coming... great work!

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
Not a 2501 but I turbo'd my b2910 over the winter of 2020. It has about 100 hours with the turbo without any issues. Hat tip to Greenacresnorth who provided some guidance along the way while I was building and tuning.

I found a junked out Jacobs golf course mower with a 1505T and snagged most of the parts off it. I used fresh kubota parts where possible for some missing pieces. Swapped over the exhaust mani, intake mani, injector lines, compressor outlet pipes. Pulled a shim to put timing at ~20. I used a slightly modified Bobcat turbine outlet and exhaust pipe and made up my own intake. No welding was required this was 100% bolt on affair.

I have it fueled conservatively to get about 7-9 psi boost. EGT gauge is definitely a must have when tuning. I keep it under 1100* at all times. It really doesn't kick in that often, only if you are really pushing into a pile or going uphill fast. It's fun with a 6 foot finish mower it will plow through 3ft grass like butter. Healthy stock cooling system has no problem with it.

I may send the turbo out this winter to see if they can improve on it for power. The turbo is a TD 025 mhi. Tiny thing.

Let's see some more boosted kubota's around here.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Not a 2501 but I turbo'd my b2910 over the winter of 2020. It has about 100 hours with the turbo without any issues. Hat tip to Greenacresnorth who provided some guidance along the way while I was building and tuning.

I found a junked out Jacobs golf course mower with a 1505T and snagged most of the parts off it. I used fresh kubota parts where possible for some missing pieces. Swapped over the exhaust mani, intake mani, injector lines, compressor outlet pipes. Pulled a shim to put timing at ~20. I used a slightly modified Bobcat turbine outlet and exhaust pipe and made up my own intake. No welding was required this was 100% bolt on affair.

I have it fueled conservatively to get about 7-9 psi boost. EGT gauge is definitely a must have when tuning. I keep it under 1100* at all times. It really doesn't kick in that often, only if you are really pushing into a pile or going uphill fast. It's fun with a 6 foot finish mower it will plow through 3ft grass like butter. Healthy stock cooling system has no problem with it.

I may send the turbo out this winter to see if they can improve on it for power. The turbo is a TD 025 mhi. Tiny thing.

Let's see some more boosted kubota's around here.
Love it, I have a few really small ihi turbos off some little Isuzu diesels laying around. Keep eying them up for the B7510... real estate is a premium on those little tractors. But I think if I ditch the muffler and run a 2 piece stack out the hood it may be doable....

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
I’m getting closer on my L2501. I finally have all the tubing and tools I’ve been waiting for. I should have everything fitted and finished by the end of the month.

Mike

Reactions: 2 users

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
If you have any questions as you go i might have some insight. It's not that hard at all if you can get a drain line figured out without pulling your whole rig apart.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
If you have any questions as you go i might have some insight. It's not that hard at all if you can get a drain line figured out without pulling your whole rig apart.
Much appreciated!

I’m not anticipating any issues with the fabrication or installation. While my resume may be lacking, I have a former Indy car engineer, mechanic and fabricator lending a hand with a long list of accomplishments in land-speed and hot rod gas/diesel building. Him and I have worked together on projects before.

I’m looking forward to getting this project completed. Just need to find some time in the schedule. ;)

Mike

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
What's the PTO rating on that from factory? How much did they charge to test it?

I am very curious as to what mine is pulling. Thanks for sharing this.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Very, very impressive gains here. The torque is amazing!
And yes, please post the costs related to the PTO dyno session!

I can't wait to see what my Turbo setup makes!

Reactions: 1 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
What's the PTO rating on that from factory? How much did they charge to test it?

I am very curious as to what mine is pulling. Thanks for sharing this.
The L2501 factory PTO HP for 'gear drive' is 20.5 and 'HST' is 19.

He has a gear drive so 20.5 HP from the factory.

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
149E92DE-E2F5-4A9A-AA8A-715FCD0E346A.jpeg

Finally…the Turbo installation has begun! Right now, I’ve only removed the loader, hood and exhaust but, the fabrication will begin tomorrow. I already have most of the materials I’ll need however, as with any project, I know there will be some fittings, clamps, hoses and additional miscellaneous parts needed before it’s done. Regardless, it feels great to get things moving.

Mike

Reactions: 6 users

tractorX

Equipment
Sep 27, 2013
Rock Spring GA.
Keep in mind that's only injection pump timing. All shims removed and sealed with gasket sealer. Not my video.
finally... dino results! PTO grained HP, just as i suspected!
was on TBN (like OTT better) debating with a member about this exact subject. this is where i see the biggest grains (check out my post #129). with the PTO in the 25-27 HP range, think its safe to say, that the engine is in the ~32 HP range.
i have to agree with @NetMagi, leaving the smallest shim in vs using gasket sealer is pretty much a wash. removing the thickest shim/shims AND opening up the fuel go hand in hand for the D1703 mod. im luv'n mine!

Reactions: 1 users

tractorX

Equipment
Sep 27, 2013
Rock Spring GA.
View attachment 81683
Finally…the Turbo installation has begun! Right now, I’ve only removed the loader, hood and exhaust but, the fabrication will begin tomorrow. I already have most of the materials I’ll need however, as with any project, I know there will be some fittings, clamps, hoses and additional miscellaneous parts needed before it’s done. Regardless, it feels great to get things moving.

Mike
look'n good mike! 👊 🍿

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
Things are coming together. I should have some additional pics and an update on the turbo this week.

Mike

Reactions: 4 users