L2501 losing Hydraulic pressure when not running

lghollow

Equipment
l2501
Sep 14, 2023
Chattanooga
After I removed the backhoe, a few days later the legs lost pressure and it was sitting flat on the ground. I then noticed that even the front loader loses pressure.
There are no leaks that I can find anywhere and it is full of fluid. What else could be causing this?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
After I removed the backhoe, a few days later the legs lost pressure and it was sitting flat on the ground. I then noticed that even the front loader loses pressure.
There are no leaks that I can find anywhere and it is full of fluid. What else could be causing this?
It is probably the result of the nature of the control valve. All spool type control valves leak internally allowing cylinders held by pressure to drift.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
That normal.
My hoe is off the tractor unless needed. When off and on the dolly, I use ratchet straps to keep everything tight. One on each side going from the foot steps to the front of the bucket. Another strap between the outrigger legs.

Last edited:

lghollow

Equipment
l2501
Sep 14, 2023
Chattanooga
That normal.
My hoe is off the tractor unless needed. When off and on the dolly, I use ratchet straps to keep everything tight. One on each side going from the foot steps to the front of the bucket. Another strap between the out rigger legs.
Hmmm, what is strange is I had the backhoe off for a few months and the legs never lost pressure but this time it did. At least I now know that it's fairly normal for this to occur.

Thanks for the reply.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

LG I think you need to put a Dual Piloted Check valve in the system.........It will eliminate the leaking down problem, and they are easy to install.:cry:

I know a guy that will sell you his at a very good price. JK ;)

Last edited:

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
My L2501 FEL leaks down noticeably but the 3PH stays exactly where I leave it even with a weight box on over the Winter.
What is different?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Normal. And I would not worry about it. It’s a cheap hydraulic system. You want one that don’t leak down as fast you’re going to spend a LOT more money.

if it leaks down more than a foot per hour with no load on it then you can be concerned.

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
Early on (when new) I left my FEL at maximum high and it leaked down about 3 feet or so over night. From then on I always relieve all hyd pressure when I leave the tractor.
rr

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I lower everything as well now.
It's a lot safer if somebody starts playing with levers, the weight of even a small FEL could crush.