L2501 issue

Stomper

Equipment
2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
I have a L2501 with 335 hours on it. It has run flawlessly ever since I got it but it has started acting up lately. Every so often the engine acts up and starts running rough and then it clears up and runs fine. I noticed it the very odd time earlier this year but it seems to be happening more often now. It’s hard to explain and I really know nothin about Diesel engines but it acts similar to when a gas engine is getting too much fuel. It won’t stall out but the more throttle I give the rougher it runs but won’t come up to full throttle. Then it clears up and runs fine. Just wondering if it could be maybe the fuel filter. I haven’t changed it since new but I just ordered one and will change it ASAP

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Fuel filter is a good place to start. Others have found objects that made thier way into thier fuel tank (leaves etc.) that will cause intermittent problems as well.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Be sure to get the two o rings for the filter as well. There is a bigger one that seals the cup and a small one between the filter and the housing

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If it acts like it's getting too much fuel it may be getting too little air. Knock the dust out of your air filter and make sure there is nothing to impede the path for the air to get to the engine's intake.

Reactions: 1 user

Stomper

Equipment
2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
Thanks guy I will give it a try. It very well could be the fuel filter because the clear bowl looks slightly cloudy. I’m thinking maybe water in the fuel also as I use it to plow snow all winter (-10 to -30 Celsius temps) but store it in my heated shop.
I guess a better explanation of how it runs would be like it’s not firing on one cylinder. But it is only intermittent and not all the time.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
It could be an issue with an injector also but start with the easy things mentioned above first.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Contamination in the fuel system, Algae or water in the fuel are normally the cause, drain the fuel, change the filter.

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
Contamination in the fuel system, Algae or water in the fuel are normally the cause, drain the fuel, change the filter.
^^^this.^^^ Also. You can pick up some ph test strips for diesel fuel if you are suspect of the fuel. It wouldn’t do a lot of good if you refill with contaminated fuel. But more than likely water or dirty fuel filter.

Parrothead127

Equipment
L2501 with FEL
Apr 3, 2021
East of Atlanta
After you do all the above, you should invest in a Mr Funnel. It has a water/debris filter in it. It’s one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen. You can fill it with water and it won’t let anything pass thru, you can then pour fuel thru it and the fuel will pass and leave the water. One of the best 30 dollars I’ve ever spent.

Reactions: 1 user

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
I just ran into something similar with my 3901. I took off the water seperator bowl and that screen and warmed it up and cleaned up (note to self shut of the fuel valve next time)... That helped a little. I ended up changing the main fuel filter and that fixed it. Ice crystals in the fuel plugged up my filter. I added some diesel anti icing agent to my fuel and it hasn't missed a beat.
When I checked my air filter it was packed with fine ice (like white dust). Had to blow that out as well. Another fun aspect of winter cold operating a tractor.