L2501 fuel filter change

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
I’ve read the WSM and watched a few videos on changing the fuel filter on the L2501. What is the reasonI got for cleaning the fuel bowl with kerosene? Could one not just use some of the diesel that is coming from the fuel line to rinse and wipe it out?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
no reason you can't. That's what I always did.

when u put the filter back on don't tighten it up all the way, leave it loose enough so that fuel will flow into the bowl yet still leak out of the top. Once the bubbles go away, about 30 seconds of leaking, tighten it up and you won't have to bleed the system.

Reactions: 1 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I think kerosene is also known as number one diesel whereas your normal fuel is number two diesel. Kerosene may have a lower viscosity than diesel and perhaps be better for cleaning things out or rinsing the filter but they're pretty close to being the same thing.

Reactions: 1 user

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
At the cabin we would use diesel in the kerosene lamps if we were out of kerosene. The diesel smoked more and left a little more oil on your fingers (slippery) compared to the kerosene. Also the diesel was a little harder to light when it was really cold.
I guess it would make a slightly better solvent for cleaning than diesel.

Reactions: 1 user

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Lugbolt thanks for the tip. The L2501 has an “air vent cock” located above the filter at the fuel injection pump. WSM says to open it for 30 seconds any time the fuel system needs bled, e.g. change filter, run tank dry, etc. Your tip and WSM approach sound like both would achieve the same result.

I guess I will find out next weekend when I do the 100 hour maintenance on it.

Thanks again!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Lugbolts advice is good as always. My experience as my tractor very similar. Unscrew the bowl, change filter and both o rings, screw bowl back on and start tractor. Haven’t had to bleed the tractor after a filter change. Dont over think it, just change it and go

Last edited: