L2501 front axle grease points ?

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
There are two axle supports (front and rear) for the front axle assembly that hold the drive propeller shaft (See attached picture) that have to be greased.
The front (or forward)axle support has a breather plug that you remove, then apply grease through zerk until grease comes through breather port, and then reinstall the port plug...no problem.
So my question is there suppose to be a breather plug on the rear support (the one indicated in the picture as a dotted line circle) for the 4wd propeller shaft ?
When I try to apply grease to the rear support zerk (the one that doesnt have a breather plug), then I have complete resistance on my grease gun and it will not except any grease and I dont want to force it and damage a seal. Again my concern and questions are directed to the axle support shown in the picture that is indicated by a dotted line circle (the rear axle support).
Anyone else experience this ?
Is this normal, or did they forget to drill and tap a breather port for the rear bracket ?

Attachments

Last edited:

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
My MX appears to be similar to yours, in that the rear doesn't have a plug. That said, when I grease mine it'll take what I squeeze in. Can't see where it goes, and can't tell if I'm adding too much or too little. I'm guessing maybe your zerk fitting has some mud clogging it a bit

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Pull the zerk - see if grease will go through it - if not, small sharp tip to move the ball, or replace zerk. Tis strange that it does not have a place to "ooze" out from!

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
My MX appears to be similar to yours, in that the rear doesn't have a plug. That said, when I grease mine it'll take what I squeeze in. Can't see where it goes, and can't tell if I'm adding too much or too little. I'm guessing maybe your zerk fitting has some mud clogging it a bit

Thanks for explaining your personal experience with this procedure.
Sounds like you might be right about being clogged.
Thanks

Pull the zerk - see if grease will go through it - if not, small sharp tip to move the ball, or replace zerk. Tis strange that it does not have a place to "ooze" out from!
Good idea, I will remove to see if grease flows through the zerk itself.
And yes its strange that there would not be a place for the excess to escape.
Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The front needs have a vent because there is no place for the grease / air to go it's sealed.
The rear has two seals for the grease / air to leak out of thus no need for a vent.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
The front needs have a vent because there is no place for the grease / air to go it's sealed.
The rear has two seals for the grease / air to leak out of thus no need for a vent.
Got it on the front being not vented and the rear has seals for grease to exit if need be. Before I did any work or troubleshooting I wanted to make sure that the resistance on my grease gun wasnt normal.
Im going to pull the zerk soon and eliminate that first.
Thanks

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Can't see where it goes, and can't tell if I'm adding too much or too little.
Update: I removed the grease zerk and one pump straight through so fitting is working correctly. So I reinstalled, attached grease gun and still a lot of resistance but I continued and as I continued to pump grease the resistance became much less and you could start hearing the gurgling of grease and air displacement as I continued well over 20 pumps. I finished all of what was left of around 1/4 tube or less and still no signs of grease on the exterior. So I see what you meant Mister about not knowing if you added too much or not enough so I continued until I stopped hearing air/grease displacement and I think I achieved that but I will need more grease to be sure.
I know from the continuous sound of air displacement that this was never properly greased to begin with.
I will have to get more grease within the next few days and try to apply more I guess.
Thanks again for all the help here on this forum because I sure didnt get any help from whomever was responsible for greasing, fluid levels, tires, etc...that works at the dealership.

Last edited:

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Update: I removed the grease zerk and one pump straight through so fitting is working correctly. So I reinstalled, attached grease gun and still a lot of resistance but I continued and as I continued to pump grease the resistance became much less and you could start hearing the gurgling of grease and air displacement as I continued well over 20 pumps. I finished all of what was left of around 1/4 tube or less and still no signs of grease on the exterior. So I see what you meant Mister about not knowing if you added too much or not enough so I continued until I stopped hearing air/grease displacement and I think I achieved that but I will need more grease to be sure.
I know from the continuous sound of air displacement that this was never properly greased to begin with.
I will have to get more grease within the next few days and try to apply more I guess.
Thanks again for all the help here on this forum because I sure didnt get any help from whomever was responsible for greasing, fluid levels, tires, etc...that works at the dealership.
Glad to hear it. You may consider using synthetic grease from here out. It lasts 8X longer, which means you won't have to deal with it nearly as often

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The extra grease is just going into the front drive case.
Just a few pumps every time you grease it will keep it lubed up good. ;)

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Glad to hear it. You may consider using synthetic grease from here out. It lasts 8X longer, which means you won't have to deal with it nearly as often

I will see who sells that before I go to town. Thanks

I have been wondering about the exact same thing. Good posts !;)
I learn something new everyday. Glad it helps.

The extra grease is just going into the front drive case.
Just a few pumps every time you grease it will keep it lubed up good. ;)
I think from the sound of air displacement that it had to be getting full as it starting to become silent toward the end. I thought there had to be access to that propeller shaft enclosure and so now I know. Now that most the air pockets are gone, from now on I will just top off. Thanks

muddhogg

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT, Ford 3910
May 20, 2018
GA
Old thread @Mudball - have you had any issues with the grease in your front drive case? I just did the same thing and pumped a log of grease in there.