L245dt

bigdpontiac

Equipment
l245dt
Feb 18, 2010
woodstock,ohio,united states
Bought this machine last week and am very happy with its ability, in my quest for info. I found this site. My tractor starts very hard depending on outside temp.,is there a way to test the glow plugs? Need to do full service, local dealers tell me a service manual is two weeks away and printed on request. Are manuals available online?
Thanks

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
bigd,
i have an l245dt and live in Indiana it too can be hard to start , if below 15 especially. I have to preheat for about 1 minute then start cranking with the decompression knob pulled. You can test your glow plugs with a pair of jumper cables one at a time remove from engine clamp around the threads then the other side on the post where the wires attach they get hot very fast so be careful. I have seen the manuals on ebay on a regular basis. Good luck .

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Keep in mind to the battery has alot to do with it, you need one with at least 850 cold cranking amps or more. In your case 1000 cca's would be best. Look into getting a plug in block heater to keep things warm. My dad goes overboard with his L275 and takes 3 or 4 old quilts and blankets from a bed and lays them over the hood while the block heater plugged in. It doesn't get nearly as cold here in Va as you do.

sunnyside

Equipment
Kubota M4D-071, ZD1511
Feb 17, 2010
Central PA
Bought this machine last week and am very happy with its ability, in my quest for info. I found this site. My tractor starts very hard depending on outside temp.,is there a way to test the glow plugs? Need to do full service, local dealers tell me a service manual is two weeks away and printed on request. Are manuals available online?
Thanks
I agree the L245DT is a very capable tractor for it's size. I bought a new one in 1979 and used it for 14 years. It was still going strong when I traded for a larger Kubota. The L245DT has two starting aids for cold weather -- glow plugs and compression release. I used both when temperatures were below 30 deg F. In sub zero weather I had to use a jump starter a number of times. Do you use the compression release knob also when starting?
I never had to replace any of the glow plugs. You should be able to check them with an ohm meter by disconnecting the wires to the plugs and checking for continuity between ground and contact on the plug. The plug is open if no meter deflection and should be replaced.

bigdpontiac

Equipment
l245dt
Feb 18, 2010
Decomp. lever! I will be looking for that as soon as it gets daylight! My battery is too small it is only 650. Thought I may be able to test glow plugs but I didn't want to mess anything up. Thanks for the help.

bigdpontiac

Equipment
l245dt
Feb 18, 2010
Daylight now, knob for compression release broken off. Heading to napa to get fuel, engine oil, air ?, filters. Machine has oem stuff on it now and I would replace with same if they were within 40 miles of me and in stock for sure. Need to know which fluids to use in engine, hyd.. Do trans and rear end share oil with hydraulic? What about those planetary looking things on rear axle out by hubs. May wait for book before messing with that. Thanks for help everyone.

sunnyside

Equipment
Kubota M4D-071, ZD1511
Feb 17, 2010
Central PA
Daylight now, knob for compression release broken off. Heading to napa to get fuel, engine oil, air ?, filters. Machine has oem stuff on it now and I would replace with same if they were within 40 miles of me and in stock for sure. Need to know which fluids to use in engine, hyd.. Do trans and rear end share oil with hydraulic? What about those planetary looking things on rear axle out by hubs. May wait for book before messing with that. Thanks for help everyone.
Depending on what is missing you may need the whole compression release assembly. The compression release knob has a spring loaded return mechanism. The idea is to get the engine cranking fast with no compression (compression release pulled out) and then let go of the knob and she fires right up. In very cold weather this should be preceded by warming the glow plugs. I'd also take the battery to the parts store and get it tested unless you know it is good. Advance Auto Parts tests batterys for free -- not sure about Napa.

bleecker

Equipment
l245
Oct 15, 2010
new york
hey bigd, I just got a l245dt also doesn't have the decomp knob but the mechanism is intact. Did you fix yours? Is the knob connected to a shaft then a cable? How can I repair it?

Bleecker

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
bleecker, I am in the same boat as you. I also have an L245DT, it has the compression release linkage in the valve cover and a hole in the dash but no cable or linkage between them. My plan was to try an old fashioned manual choke cable setup from the generic "Help" section at the auto parts stores. For $10 or so, I'm going to try it.

bky

Nov 8, 2009
ky
I also have a l245dt. Great tractor if you need information on oils or pictures let me know.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Vic, your projects have always set the bar and this one proves the point!

Now you just need to find a better hiding spot that Mt K doesn't know about.