l245dt whats it worth?????

dmaxer1134

Jul 9, 2013
Rising Sun md
I went and looked at an l245dt today. Tractor had front end loader and was in fair condition. Tach does not work and neither did hour meter, seller was not aware that tach and hour meter didnt work. Hour meter was at just over 1000hrs and that was what seller had posted on ad. Fenders needed repaired they were rusted out were they mount and bucket was rusted through in a few spots. It would be easily repaired most of the bucket still has good metal. Tractor would need painted to be brought back to good condition. The good about it is that it has a new top end put on by kubota dealership including injectors. Guy is asking 6000 which im not willing to give. I drove it and everything works but im thinking closer to 4800??? need help dont know a whole lot about these

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Sounds like the seller is trying to collect a fat stack of cash on a pile of rust. For 6k you can keep shopping and find something alot nicer.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
The tractor is 30+ years old, and Kubota does not support it. Anything major breaks and you are out of luck and cash. If you want a project, offer him $2000 - $2500, maybe. Better to follow Eric's advice...
The gear in the transmission that ran the hour meter / tach was a high failure item - it has been mentioned in several threads here. It went out on my L185 at 749 hours, about 20 years ago.

Last edited:

dmaxer1134

Jul 9, 2013
Rising Sun md
Yea I thought I was way high when I got there and saw the condition. Tractor mechanically seems solid and it was one of the few I found in the last few months for that kind of money close to home with a loader. Pretty sure the guy won't drop from 6000 to 2500 he's trying to get the 3500 he spent at the dealer back out of it.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Yea I thought I was way high when I got there and saw the condition. Tractor mechanically seems solid and it was one of the few I found in the last few months for that kind of money close to home with a loader. Pretty sure the guy won't drop from 6000 to 2500 he's trying to get the 3500 he spent at the dealer back out of it.
I would have expected him to pay more from a dealership- that tells you what the tractor is really worth. The fact that they didn't sell a running tractor with a loader for more clues you in to the fact that it is going to be an expensive tractor to own.
I would resist, and keep looking. They are out there- sometimes, it just takes persistance and patience to find the right deal.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Too high! But a great tractor. I bought a 2wd L245 used back in 1983 and pulled a 5 foot cutter & box blade with it for almost 20 years. Still running good when I sold it, but looked like hell. Tach & OD stopped working in mine somewhere around 1200 hrs, but I put at least 3 times that on it...:cool:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Any chance you can put up pictures of the tractor? I'm not opposed to buying a 30 year old tractor. Parts are still plentlyful online if you look in the right places and cross numbers over.

dmaxer1134

Jul 9, 2013
Rising Sun md
I would have expected him to pay more from a dealership- that tells you what the tractor is really worth. The fact that they didn't sell a running tractor with a loader for more clues you in to the fact that it is going to be an expensive tractor to own.
I would resist, and keep looking. They are out there- sometimes, it just takes persistance and patience to find the right deal.

No the 3500 was for the new head and injectors installed on it.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well after reading everything he has replaced on it now the 6k sounds justifiable, either he spends the money or you would have too if you bought it before he did the work to it. I'd say jump on it and run it as is. Fix the wholes in the bucket but I wouldn't worry too much about the paint unless it really bothers you.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I agree with Eric- the price is more justifiable after reading the whole story. The tires look almost new, too. I don't know if I would spend $6000 on it, but there are worse buys out there.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
That tractor is pratically rebuilt with all the essential parts that could go wrong. That tractor should run like a top for another 30 years if taken care of properly.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I agree and feel it's almost worth 6k. If I was buying, I'd want to be into it for around 4500.

They really are tough old tractors.

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
I agree with Eric, all that would go wrong is repaired, and well a 245 is a heck of an animal, remember this is when Kubota used steel everywhere!

Big Kahuna

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I paid $5800 for my L245DT with loader and a 5' brush mower. Around here, that was a good deal at the time, priced similarly to what I could get a grey market Yanmar for. Kubotas usually go for more around here. Bottom line is 4WD tractors with loaders are not cheap.

I have had zero problems sourcing parts from my dealer. Parts I can think of off hand are oil pressure sender, ROPS kit, voltage regulator, water pump, radiator hoses, hydraulic cylinder seal kits, etc. Now if you needed a major item like a block, head, axle, etc. then maybe not the case, but wear items no problem.