L2250 coolant in oil sump

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Im not seeing anything alarming. What did you see before that caused you to think water/coolant

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm still not seeing coolant contamination either?
But I am seeing that your motor oil is too clean which unless you just changed it, I'd be suspecting hydraulic fluid in the motor oil.
Have you checked the hydraulic levels?

Draining it will give a better answer.

kubotal2250

Jan 31, 2021
canada
the dipstick had bright green on it as well as oil and it was the same colour as 50/50 antifreeze . the fact that my low coolant light was on and the overflow tank was low made me think that it was coolant. i pulled the cover on the sight glass for the hydraulic oil and it is low and i had topped it up earlier in the season. i had been using the FEL more this year than most for moving logs and manure. i will take some pictures once i get it inside and drained

kubotal2250

Jan 31, 2021
canada
the dipstick had bright green on it as well as oil and it was the same colour as 50/50 antifreeze . the fact that my low coolant light was on and the overflow tank was low made me think that it was coolant. i pulled the cover on the sight glass for the hydraulic oil and it is low and i had topped it up earlier in the season. i had been using the FEL more this year than most for moving logs and manure. i will take some pictures once i get it inside and drained
it was also sounded like it was quite loud (knocking ) right when i started it up compared to other times. i know its a diesel so wasnt to sure about the knock i was hearing if that is what i heard

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Draining
i pulled the cover on the sight glass for the hydraulic oil and it is low and i had topped it up earlier in the season.
????? Pulled what cover? the sight glass doesn't have a cover? Did you pull the sight glass out?
If it's not clear, a new one is cheap.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The sight glass was behind a sheet metal panel in the transmission hump. I just took the panel off to be able to view it.
OK, that's an odd one, they improved the design later on as the cover just has a viewing hole in it on other models.

Sorry not tying to bust your chops.
It's just sometimes things can get lost in typing translations, and we don't want to lead you astray.

As far as the knocking goes, I'm hoping it's just paranoia, with you knowing you have something off.
These are pretty tough buggers so I wouldn't worry about it.

kubotal2250

Jan 31, 2021
canada
OK, that's an odd one, they improved the design later on as the cover just has a viewing hole in it on other models.

Sorry not tying to bust your chops.
It's just sometimes things can get lost in typing translations, and we don't want to lead you astray.

As far as the knocking goes, I'm hoping it's just paranoia, with you knowing you have something off.
These are pretty tough buggers so I wouldn't worry about it.
No offense taken at all. I completely understand.

I drove an L2250 for years at a farm I worked at when I was younger and it was a workhorse which was why searches for one.
They are quite versatile especially for getting in the woods as they are pretty narrow

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No offense taken at all. I completely understand.

I drove an L2250 for years at a farm I worked at when I was younger and it was a workhorse which was why searches for one.
They are quite versatile especially for getting in the woods as they are pretty narrow
Yea I have the slightly newer bigger sister to it, an L3450.
All the 50 series are good models!

Reactions: 1 user

kubotal2250

Jan 31, 2021
canada
Well I was out for the count with pneumonia but i got out and managed to rig up a land anchor by driving a metal bar into the floor drain of my shop and using a chainfall and a logging chain pulled the tractor in the shop. I will drain the oil and post some pictures of the oil .

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well I was out for the count with pneumonia but i got out and managed to rig up a land anchor by driving a metal bar into the floor drain of my shop and using a chainfall and a logging chain pulled the tractor in the shop. I will drain the oil and post some pictures of the oil .
Sounds great, and Yikes that does not sound like fun!
I got an upper respiratory infection and that crud hung on forever!
Take it slow and don't overdue it!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've got young children and they are always bringing some new sickness home.
Ouch - - no young children here anymore but know that routine.

The youngest (23) relocated back here last year for a good job local to us.

First thing he brought home was COVID..... :oops:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ouch - - no young children here anymore but know that routine.

The youngest (23) relocated back here last year for a good job local to us.

First thing he brought home was COVID..... :oops:
HAHAHA 🤪

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
All my young ones bring home are the occasional dead mouse, dead bird, or dear leg. :oops:

Reactions: 5 users

kubotal2250

Jan 31, 2021
canada
Well I finally got around to getting the loader off the tractor and while I was doing it I noticed that the right boom cylinder was leaking slightly as well as the mid PTO and drive shaft seals are wet as well. I also noticed a bulge in a heater hose under the tractor as it enters the cab and routes up to the heater core. I cut the outer sheathing and out came a bunch of coolant. The oil level in the engine is bang on where it should be on the upper mark. I'm beginning to wonder if I jumped the gun on thinking I saw coolant on the dipstick and was seeing the oil spatter up the dipstick in the light weird. I don't use the tractor all that often so perhaps the oil is still clean from the last time I changed it.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well I finally got around to getting the loader off the tractor and while I was doing it I noticed that the right boom cylinder was leaking slightly as well as the mid PTO and drive shaft seals are wet as well. I also noticed a bulge in a heater hose under the tractor as it enters the cab and routes up to the heater core. I cut the outer sheathing and out came a bunch of coolant. The oil level in the engine is bang on where it should be on the upper mark. I'm beginning to wonder if I jumped the gun on thinking I saw coolant on the dipstick and was seeing the oil spatter up the dipstick in the light weird. I don't use the tractor all that often so perhaps the oil is still clean from the last time I changed it.
Have you drained any oil out?
You really don't need to drop all of it, is the bottom bit is good to know if there is coolant.
If you have a coolant leak somewhere else, it's very possible you did just see shiny oil that looks green.
Panic can fool the eyes!

kubotal2250

Jan 31, 2021
canada
Have you drained any oil out?
You really don't need to drop all of it, is the bottom bit is good to know if there is coolant.
If you have a coolant leak somewhere else, it's very possible you did just see shiny oil that looks green.
Panic can fool the eyes!
I should know better. Overthinking will have you chasing your tail every time.