L225 PTO stops when tiller comes in contact with ground

WHF

Nov 4, 2013
Bucks Co,Pa
Last week I was tilling a field at the farm when suddenly the tiller stopped turning. I raised the tiller out of the ground and it started spinning again but stopped as soon as it came in contact with the ground. I can hand spin it in either direction when the machine is off and the tiller is raised off the ground. I'm not sure if that means anything or not.

Any ideas? I looked through my owners manual and didnt see anything useful about the pto.

Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep sounds like a shear pin at where the PTO meets the gearbox.

76_Bronco

Equipment
B7200 4WD w/FEL, 4' disc, 4' Brush Hog, 14" Plow, 4' Blade, JD 246 2 row Planter
Mar 28, 2012
Rainsville, Al
Thanks for the responses.
Is there an easy way to check or does the tractor have to be split?
Splitting tractor not necessary, the shear pin will be located at the tiller end of the pto shaft. But your tiller may be equipped with a slip clutch, if it is then it may just need adjusting.

Shear pin type pto
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12241&stc=1&d=1406233159

Slip clutch
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12242&stc=1&d=1406233216

Attachments

Last edited:

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
With the pto engaged and the roller in the ground (not turning)....look to see where the turning stops.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
for clarification purpose

Shear pin = low strength bolt in most cases on PTO shafts

Generally located at the implement end to the PTO

If you don't see the head or nut and you see two holes then the pin is sheared and needs to be replaced.

Part of the shear pin (the middle of the bolt) is still in the shaft (under the universal joint) and you will have to get it out to put the new pin in.

WHF

Nov 4, 2013
Bucks Co,Pa
Well it's not a shear pin on the pto shaft. I'm pretty sure something is going on with the pto stub coming out of the tractor. I hooked up the brush hog that has a different pto shaft and the tractor would not spin the hog while the tractor was in gear. It did however spin it when I first hooked it up and the pto would not stop turning when the pto knob was put back in neutral. I had to turn the tractor off to get it to stop.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Well there is usually a clutch in the transmission itself someplace to run the PTO but it almost sounds like it's popped out of gear and won't go back in... Could be fussy linkage from the PTO engage, or anything along those lines. Clean the assemblies up and do maintenance on them and see if you can get the PTO to engage again.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your PTO drive system is a simple system, If the clutch that moves the tractor is working then you have something internal like a gear or shaft that is either broken or striped.

WHF

Nov 4, 2013
Bucks Co,Pa
I also hooked up the brush hog and the pto spun the blade while raised and when I put the pto back in neutral the pto would not stop spinning. I had to turn the tractor off in order for it to stop.

The pto would not spin the blade in the down position.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You have a broken shaft or a broken gear, it's going to take tearing into it to find out exactly what is the problem! ;)