L series Backhoe worth getting?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Like some others, I wouldn't have a tractor without a hoe. I dig with both a bh77 and a mini. Sure the mini (even the small KX033) will dig circles around a tractor mounted hoe any day of the week, but there are some jobs where the tractor mounted hoe is easier and doesn't leave near the mess of a mini.

dig3.JPG

Perhaps the OP can be a bit more descriptive in what the intent/need is? If you're planning on digging out 100 stumps with your tractor mounted hoe, good luck. But for some trenching, landscape and similar tasks, it'll do it for sure. Storage isn't a problem for me at all..

backhoe resting.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Jc said... I also dont agree with using a compact tractor backhoe for removing stumps. It takes forever and puts undo wear on these small machines. However I do know a number of people buy them for that reason.
I think backhoes even my little BX hoe is great for digging stumps within a reasonable size. Many who do not have a backhoe buy a stump bucket. Now that in my mind is something that will damage your FEL arms for sure and puts much more undo wear on your machine. That said I love my backhoe. I have two more stumps to remove in spring! They are in the way of my new garden bed which I will plow with my new EA 12" mold board sub compact plow! Woo Hoo playtime! :cool: I have also used my backhoe for installing over 300 ft of drainage so far!

Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
A Mini-Ex is the best digging machine, and I certainly would not mind having one.
That said: Moving a pile of dirt even 100 ft. is totally impractical with a Mini-Ex.
For (an ancient)) homeowner like me, my L48TLB is at the pinnacle of all around usefulness.
The Mini-Ex is best at what it does, but it is essentially......."a one horse pony".
Yup thats why I still have a tractor. Can’t be without a tractor!

OP you can see we are all bias about our choices. As previously stated, most people with them are happy with the purchase. Just think of ways to make it work for you and it will be a worthwhile investment.

Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Jc said... I also dont agree with using a compact tractor backhoe for removing stumps. It takes forever and puts undo wear on these small machines. However I do know a number of people buy them for that reason.
I think backhoes even my little BX hoe is great for digging stumps within a reasonable size. Many who do not have a backhoe buy a stump bucket. Now that in my mind is something that will damage your FEL arms for sure and puts much more undo wear on your machine. That said I love my backhoe. I have two more stumps to remove in spring! They are in the way of my new garden bed which I will plow with my new EA 12" mold board sub compact plow! Woo Hoo playtime! :cool: I have also used my backhoe for installing over 300 ft of drainage so far!
Yes as many say…sure beats a shovel!

OP probably the important takeaway from my perspective…I would not be without some type of digging machine (backhoe, excavator). So they are important to my use cases. Just make sure they are important to yours.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
It’s almost apples to oranges. But when I was looking. Having a BH was on my list of must haves. I have 0 regrets getting my 23s as opposed to one of the bx without it.

JonathanP

Equipment
Kubota
Jul 22, 2021
Pinckney, MI
There are 2 different BHs for the L series depending on the size. BH77 for the lower HP units..I believe the L4701 will take a BH92.

77 = 7.7ft reach and 92 = 9.2 ft reach.

This is a question you are going to get lots of opinions on. I had the very best backhoe Kubota offers (M62) and it was 14ft, had an extra hydraulic pump, and was built like a full size backhoe (but smaller/lighter of course). Lots of uses for backhoes.

Can we answer your question by asking you one?

What do you intend to do with said backhoe?
Digging along the sides of our 1/3 mile driveway, digging out stumps, digging holes for orchard we are planning, and digging a 1/4 acre fish pond.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Digging along the sides of our 1/3 mile driveway, digging out stumps, digging holes for orchard we are planning, and digging a 1/4 acre fish pond.
replied to your other thread, but I may get to use it some day 🤣

20F41CAD-50D2-41D9-ACF1-2BD9DE0DD804.jpeg

Worth every penny

Reactions: 3 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Yep…mine gets used ALOT! We are in volcanic Boulder country too….so the hydraulic thumb is the single best thing about it.

👆 Same for me - my property and soil is half rock but in my case it's glacial deposit boulders everywhere. No joke they are softballs to suburbans - I have to choose wisely but the BH & thumb has been awesome in getting access & developing carefully routed new trails

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Anything that saves my back is worth it’s weight in gold, and is Surely perfect for digging stumps out. Highly Recommend it if you have the extra money to put out for one. And aside from Anything else, i like Being self sufficient.

Reactions: 4 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Yep…mine gets used ALOT! We are in volcanic Boulder country too….so the hydraulic thumb is the single best thing about it. View attachment 71588 View attachment 71589
Did you do your own hydraulics for the thumb ? I did mine on the BH77 late this summer. I haven't had time to use it too much but will when I cut my firewood this year. Between that and the grapple It should allow me to keep doing firewood a few more years with some arthritic shoulders I am hoping.
Shoulders thank me for the backhoe and I walk by the pick, shovel, and wheel barrow.

Bill

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I figure I paid for something in the backhoe attachment that gets more use than a lot of boats, snowmobiles, jet-skis or campers I see in a lot of yards. I own none of the above, only a couple kayaks and a canoe. When my wife wants to move a large plant in one of her gardens it is one scoop and done. Hardly any shovel work since I got it. Well a little, cleaning the wet clay soil out of the bucket sometimes! Did a couple 100' of drainage this year finally getting rid of a spring/wet spot in the lawn. More to do this coming year.
Bill

Reactions: 2 users

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
^^^This is the true definition of a SCUT/CUT BH that you have to climb off the tractor seat and climb back on the BH every 3 feet. Kid's toy.
I have A lx2610 with the cab and just dug over 200ft of trench along a fence line, and didn’t get off of my backhoe once. This comment just goes to show you’re inexperienced with a backhoe 👍🏻

Reactions: 2 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Backhoe will be useful for everything but that fish pond. If you really want to waste some time dig a pond with a compact tractor. That said if you have lots of time, a box blade with scarifiers is probably the best implement. Get the heaviest one you can find, and I recommend loading your rear tires or adding wheel weights. Not a backhoe.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Did you do your own hydraulics for the thumb ? I did mine on the BH77 late this summer. I haven't had time to use it too much but will when I cut my firewood this year. Between that and the grapple It should allow me to keep doing firewood a few more years with some arthritic shoulders I am hoping.
Shoulders thank me for the backhoe and I walk by the pick, shovel, and wheel barrow.

Bill
Yep…got tired really fast of hopping on and off the BH to adjust the manual thumb that I had ordered when I bought it. Took all of about a week of that crap…then used this site and lots of pics from other guys rigs to figure out what was needed. As I said…that thumb, for my situation, is the most used best part of my tractor.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
I asked a similar question here before I bought my tractor. I have over 600ft of 3-4ft deep trench in heavy clay so I thought I could use a mini X. Or a backhoe. Biggest I could've purchased would've been a u35.

Instead I saved about 25K and got a l2501 with grapple and top and tilt.

I thought I could use the mini with thumb to stack brush. The problem is moving it. I would've had to load the brush on a trailer, drive truck and trailer, walk back get the mini or unload by hand.

I'm going to rent a 10-15,000lb machine for a week for about $1500 and do all my trenching at once. With my vacation time at work I still come about about 20k cheaper.

I would love to have a backhoe attachment but I have two small kids and I don't have the time to move that slowly. It is definitely a plus to have it in the barn and not have to wait. However I would hate having to hook and unhook a backhoe to switch to my box blade all the time.

I have a 60 year old tractor that sits and is for rotary cutter duty only. I hate hooking and unhooking attachments.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
For the expense, is the backhoe for the L series Kubota worth getting?
[/QUOTE
Depends on how much work you have to do. For most of us, cheaper and well worth paying an expert. They are craftsman / artist. Well worth their bill. To the dollar it’s very hard to justify vs renting or paying for service unless you have a lot to do. you have a lot to do you probably really need a track loader. That said I have a bh92. Why? I have a second property 4 hrs from where I live. I make power point slides for a living. Running my tractor makes me feel like a 3 yr old in sand box. It’s great. I also like the when I want to factor…for me to rent is an issue 4 hrs away and trying to predict travel and weather and rental availability is a real thing that I am not good at. For me it’s worth it but mostly for the priceless factor. To the dollar it makes more sense to rent for a few tasks and pay the craftsmen what they are worth.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Yep…got tired really fast of hopping on and off the BH to adjust the manual thumb that I had ordered when I bought it. Took all of about a week of that crap…then used this site and lots of pics from other guys rigs to figure out what was needed. As I said…that thumb, for my situation, is the most used best part of my tractor.
I found a ebay cylinder, Magister WTG 2X10 that worked good for dimension. The base end I plugged and then with it hooked to the thumb and tucked up tight I marked it for the hole which moved it about 7/16. Welded a 1" shaft collar to each side and milled a little off each side to center in bracket. BH77 is off the tractor right now so I can't get a good picture. It also has the connections clocked on the side. I paralleled my 3rd function with couplings front and back. I got a switch from surplus center PSN-020-M20 11-2201-20 ( I think). I paralleled that to the 3rd function switch so I could use this to control from the back. It has a magnet and I stick it to the rops, Handy there. Finally I installed a relief Prince RV H4 9-6135-50-H to the base side of the pressure at the 3rd function and teed the tank return at the FEL so the thumb can't be over powered and damaged by the BH77 bucket. 2, 1/4" x 180" hoses are how I hooked it up running them thru the backhoe with the others. I used ISO 5675 1/4" couples to connect.

Might be hijacking the thread, I apologize for that but wanted to share with other BH77 owners.

Bill

Attachments