L series Backhoe worth getting?

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
This is the price of an L47 at a rental place near me. Not including tax or waiver fee. Do some quick math, and thank about convenience/inconvenience
I think it comes down to the issue many have identified - how much/often will you use it, and I would add how well suited the BH is to your tasks (you might rent a more appropriate tool). I do not have much work for a BH; and therefore, I did not buy one. If I had many things to do with a BH, I would have purchased one.

So far the only one of my tasks a BH could have been used for was digging a 180 foot trench for electrical wires. I rented a treaded trencher with trailer from a rental place about 40 minutes away; I had the trencher back to them in less than 4 hours. It cost approximately $250. It cut a beautiful, narrow trench in about 30 minutes. If I had used a BH, it would have taken at least as long including drive time (longer if I had to remove and replace the 3 point hardware and mount/dismount the BH), and the trench would not have been as clean or have a very uniform depth. If you do rent, you typically rent the best suited tool versus making do with what you have on hand.

I bought everything in my signature because I use them often (several times a month). The exception is the Spreader. However, the Spreader was not expensive and hard/impossible to rent, and it is a simple device that will last for decades with limited use.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
for me it is very worth it.

If I had 1 big job that I wanted to do quickly I would of course consider renting a bigger machine.

However I may use it 10+ times per year so over the life of the machine will save a lot of money versus renting 10X per year.

Some are MY jobs, some are friends / neighbours who in return come help me with things I need help with as a senior like putting my trusses up on my new shop, moving furniture into the home off my flat deck, etc... So I trade a little BH work which I can easily do at my age and trade for some labour help here and their like good neighbours sometimes do.

Also I do a lot more little things I normally would not due if I had to rent because I have it on the yard and its convenient to use it as its right here.. pull that one stump cause I have it when clearly I would decide not to rent for a day just for one stump, dig out some ground where I want to put in a new garden or flower bed, add some drainage pipe, put in a a culvert, etc... this year alone.... Those little things that if I had to spend $400 on rent and trailering ( or worse hiring which is about $65/hr in my area IF you can get someone to come plus $ for time trailering to where I am) I may have decided not to do. Also I live in an area where getting anyone out to do little jobs is near impossible to do especially on my time frames.

Cann't get any one hired around me during hunting season, holidays, spring planting, fall harvest, very cold weather like January, during summer holidays etc... adds up to 1/2 the year (haha)

so it all depends on your circumstances like may say.

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Well, I'll shamelessly chime in here. I don't need a backhoe, but I really Want one.

Whether or not it's worth it; Depends on your wants, needs, and ability to afford one.

I have back issues from a motorcycle crash in 2015. And I'm coming up on 60 years old. Personally, I never want to use a hand shovel again!

I'll be buying a Kubota MX 5400 or 6000 in a few months. I can just afford it with the cab, FEL, rotary cutter, Rear forward facing snow blower, rear remotes, etc, etc, etc.

But I have to say... I really want a backhoe. If my coming retirement was better suited financially, I'd buy 2 tractors. A Grand L with Cab, front snow blower and rear implements. And a dedicated TLB to have some real fun with.

As for me, I'm retiring but will never stop working. Working, or getting stuff done on the house and property, gives me a purpose. I can't imagine not having something productive to do.

A backhoe gives me purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Well, I'll shamelessly chime in here. I don't need a backhoe, but I really Want one.

Whether or not it's worth it; Depends on your wants, needs, and ability to afford one.

I have back issues from a motorcycle crash in 2015. And I'm coming up on 60 years old. Personally, I never want to use a hand shovel again!

I'll be buying a Kubota MX 5400 or 6000 in a few months. I can just afford it with the cab, FEL, rotary cutter, Rear forward facing snow blower, rear remotes, etc, etc, etc.

But I have to say... I really want a backhoe. If my coming retirement was better suited financially, I'd buy 2 tractors. A Grand L with Cab, front snow blower and rear implements. And a dedicated TLB to have some real fun with.

As for me, I'm retiring but will never stop working. Working, or getting stuff done on the house and property, gives me a purpose. I can't imagine not having something productive to do.

A backhoe give me purpose.
I am 81, and though I use it infrequently, I NEVER want to be without my Kubota L48 TLB.
I am just too old to dig/lift/move stuff without my intermediate size 11' backhoe w/hyd. thumb.

Reactions: 3 users

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
People who buy backhoes seem to like having them.

People who do not buy backhoes, seem to like to tell people that buying a backhoe makes no sense.

I never regretted buying my backhoe, after using it almost 20 years now.

Buying the backhoe did cost me a bit of my cents though...
I cannot picture life without my backhoe

Reactions: 2 users

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I originally bought my L47 as a tractor loader no backhoe. I do lots of loader work and I wanted a strong FEL in a compact size. I considered getting another skid steer, but I have some fields to mow too.
I've been very happy with the FEL. After a few months I decided to get a backhoe attachment. I didn't think I'd use it often and pictured it being in storage most of the time. Boy was I wrong. It stays on the tractor 95% of the time. I'll remove it to mow a few times a year, then back on it goes.
I've owned a full size backhoe before and it would out preform the L47 ten times over, but I couldn't mow with it, or fit it in many of the places I need to go. For me the L47is a good fit. My wife refers to it as the Swiss army knife of tractors.

Reactions: 3 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
People who buy backhoes seem to like having them.

People who do not buy backhoes, seem to like to tell people that buying a backhoe makes no sense......
Or they have run them plenty and would not bother.

For me it is a catch 22.
IF,
You only need it for a couple things, RENT a MINI, way faster way more fun.
You need it for a ton of stuff, BUY a MINI, way faster way more fun.

If you have enough cash to drop 10K on an attachment you won't hardly ever use, that is a lot of rental time.

If you have 10K to drop on an attachment you need all the time, put it down on a mini instead.

For me it would be the user that fits in-between those two that it would make sense for.

I was watching one of Andrew's videos the other night and it was funny, he had to move his perfectly good backhoe - his first comment "I haven't ran this thing in like 5 years".........

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
If you have 10K to drop on an attachment you need all the time, put it down on a mini instead.
Having spent many hours in both a mini and a TLB, for overall property needs, I don't see the logic in a mini versus a TLB.

Reactions: 1 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Having spent many hours in both a mini and a TLB, for overall property needs, I don't see the logic in a mini versus a TLB.
It is a lot easier to follow if you have one of each. That is what I did.

If you only have a little digging to do, rent a mini.
If you have a lot of digging to do buy one.
If you will occasionally need to dig a hole and don't mind the hassle mounting/operating/moving etc, get the bh. Even then, I would prefer a bigger bh to the tractor.

That is just my personal opinion. There is no comparison operating the two aside from them both having two sticks.

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
It is a lot easier to follow if you have one of each. That is what I did.

If you only have a little digging to do, rent a mini.
If you have a lot of digging to do buy one.
If you will occasionally need to dig a hole and don't mind the hassle mounting/operating/moving etc, get the bh. Even then, I would prefer a bigger bh to the tractor.

That is just my personal opinion. There is no comparison operating the two aside from them both having two sticks.
Right. Each have a great purpose. I love a mini, and will one day own one like yourself.

Me personally, my BH is on my tractor 90% of the time. I find uses for it when I least expect it. And doesn't take too long to dismount and get the 3PH setup for use, despite it still being inconvenient.

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I originally bought my L47 as a tractor loader no backhoe. I do lots of loader work and I wanted a strong FEL in a compact size. I considered getting another skid steer, but I have some fields to mow too.
I've been very happy with the FEL. After a few months I decided to get a backhoe attachment. I didn't think I'd use it often and pictured it being in storage most of the time. Boy was I wrong. It stays on the tractor 95% of the time. I'll remove it to mow a few times a year, then back on it goes.
I've owned a full size backhoe before and it would out preform the L47 ten times over, but I couldn't mow with it, or fit it in many of the places I need to go. For me the L47is a good fit. My wife refers to it as the Swiss army knife of tractors.
I have an intermediate size backhoe for 35 years (Ford 3400, then Kubota L48.
The Ford hoe was removed once, for painting.
The Kubota hoe has never been removed (by prior owner either)
I do have another 3pt hitch tractor to use though.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I had a backhoe for 10 years on my L3400 that I sold about 3 years ago. Last year when I was shopping for a replacement a backhoe was definitely NOT on the want list. Even though I found a machine with a hoe at a super attractive price, I passed.

In 2008 I had several projects that could use one. So when I bought the L3400 it had one. After 2 or 3 years it just sat in the garage. Most of the small projects that I could have used it on just weren't worth the bother to put it on. If I were planning on doing a lot of inground rock removal I might had considered it for my latest tractor.

So, I had one and don't want one now.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I had a backhoe for 10 years on my L3400 that I sold about 3 years ago. Last year when I was shopping for a replacement a backhoe was definitely NOT on the want list. Even though I found a machine with a hoe at a super attractive price, I passed.

In 2008 I had several projects that could use one. So when I bought the L3400 it had one. After 2 or 3 years it just sat in the garage. Most of the small projects that I could have used it on just weren't worth the bother to put it on. If I were planning on doing a lot of inground rock removal I might had considered it for my latest tractor.

So, I had one and don't want one now.
No "bother to put it on" for me....
I just never "bother to" take the it off!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Or they have run them plenty and would not bother.

For me it is a catch 22.
IF,
You only need it for a couple things, RENT a MINI, way faster way more fun.
You need it for a ton of stuff, BUY a MINI, way faster way more fun.

If you have enough cash to drop 10K on an attachment you won't hardly ever use, that is a lot of rental time.

For me it would be the user that fits in-between those two that it would make sense for.

I was watching one of Andrew's videos the other night and it was funny, he had to move his perfectly good backhoe - his first comment "I haven't ran this thing in like 5 years".........
So..oooo,.......... Assume that you dig a hole for some reason, and have a spoil pile of 10 yards excess material.
With ONLY a Mini-Ex, just how do you propose to move that spoil pile to a spot 400 ft. away that needs the fill?
A properly sized TLB can do it ALL !

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
So..oooo,.......... Assume that you dig a hole for some reason, and have a spoil pile of 10 yards excess material.
With ONLY a Mini-Ex, just how do you propose to move that spoil pile to a spot 400 ft. away that needs the fill?
Right

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
While I could afford a mini ex, it would have to sit outside. It would be a magnet for all the wasps and yellow jackets in the summer and field mice in the winter. Plus the extra up keep of another motor and battery. I can back up to my BH77 and have it on with 2 hoses and 2 pins. It sits in the garage on a wheeled dolly ready to go. If I need a 3pt while it is on I have the 8n still as that is why I kept that and it is also my snow plow with a front mounted power angle plow. Love my retirement tractor with backhoe.
and now I can use the loader to move back snow piles when we get a lot of snow at once. Maybe it depends on where you live too if snow moving is a factor.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Who said ONLY a mini? I would use my tractor for rapid material movement, and I would use my mini for rapid material extraction. At the same time my tractor would have a rake or box blade on it and excel at it at the same time.

I never said don't get a tractor, I think most people should start with a tractor. I also never said don't get a bh. Based on my experience, I would say it is a small window of users that the 10K is well spent on, that is all. The bottom end would be better off renting, the top end would be better of with a mini.

I guess you all missed the Andrew reference. Your backhoe is the handiest tool you will ever own.... right up until you have an excavator, loader etc. Once you have those the backhoe sits and collects rust.

My mini has a 25HP Yanmar in it, I can pick my tractor up with it. The BH77 (the bh that would fit my tractor) doesn't come close to it in ANY category. Depth, force, lift capacity etc etc. not even close by half. Production on the mini is on another scale compared to anything backward facing with stabilizers.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Here is a visual guide,

If your backhoe is 5 years old or older and,

The bucket still has most of the paint in it - you wasted your money and should have rented. More fun, less money.

If the bucket is missing most of the paint and has a nice little coating of rust on it, you made a good choice in the bh.

If the bucket has no paint and you can see your reflection in the shiny metal - you are wasting your time on the bh and should get a mini.

All JMO.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Here is a visual guide,

If your backhoe is 5 years old or older and,

The bucket still has most of the paint in it - you wasted your money and should have rented. More fun, less money.

If the bucket is missing most of the paint and has a nice little coating of rust on it, you made a good choice in the bh.

If the bucket has no paint and you can see your reflection in the shiny metal - you are wasting your time on the bh and should get a mini.

All JMO.
The sled dog has a great take on it. My rig came with a backhoe or I would not have one. The previous owner never took it off. I needed more versatility so it is off more than on. But when I need it it just takes 15 min to swap. YMMV.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
My take on the subject is if you buy a backhoe for your tractor and use it so much that you wear it out, you have easily gotten your money back out of it.

However, if you don't use it as much as you thought you would and it has remained shiny and pristine, you will most likely be able to sell it down the road for what you paid for it, if not more.

I don't see too many downsides to purchasing my backhoe.