L series Backhoe worth getting?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
There are 2 different BHs for the L series depending on the size. BH77 for the lower HP units..I believe the L4701 will take a BH92.

77 = 7.7ft reach and 92 = 9.2 ft reach.

This is a question you are going to get lots of opinions on. I had the very best backhoe Kubota offers (M62) and it was 14ft, had an extra hydraulic pump, and was built like a full size backhoe (but smaller/lighter of course). Lots of uses for backhoes.

Can we answer your question by asking you one?

What do you intend to do with said backhoe?

Reactions: 1 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Only you can answer that question. The amount of use you have for a backhoe should be your primary consideration. You should also be aware you may have to remove tractor frame reinforcements to make room for the three point arms. Do you plan to use other implements or just the backhoe? Do you see a lot of use for the backhoe over time or do you just have a stack of projects for now? Renting a larger backhoe for a short period may be a better option for you.

Fladogman

Feb 1, 2020
Crawfordville Fl
I have the BH92, it's strong for a add on BH however, it's not a full BH. I can and have done a lot of work with it (taking down trees, digging stumps and ditches), but it's nowhere near as strong as a true fullsize BH or can do the work they will do. You do get the benefit of having one tractor the does everything and that's the good thing about it.

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
People who buy backhoes seem to like having them.

People who do not buy backhoes, seem to like to tell people that buying a backhoe makes no sense.

I never regretted buying my backhoe, after using it almost 20 years now.

Buying the backhoe did cost me a bit of my cents though...

Reactions: 7 users

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
It's an expensive attachment. I have the even smaller BH70 on my B2601.

Realistically, for me it probably will never pay off financially. But I do like having it, I end up doing tasks I would have done by hand before (and wouldn't have rented a machine for or contracted out). It's fun to use.

IMO, I like having it, it's fun and convenient.

Reactions: 4 users

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
Holding up cut logs to cut with chainsaw (keeps chain out of the dirt), removing stumps of said logs, dropping stumps in fire pit. That's what I use it for. Stays on the LX2610 most of the time.

Reactions: 2 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
“Holding up cut logs to cut with chainsaw (keeps chain out of the dirt), removing stumps of said logs, dropping stumps in fire pit. That's what I use it for. Stays on the LX2610 most of the time.”

Grapple is a better investment for holding up logs and moving logs/brush. I also dont agree with using a compact tractor backhoe for removing stumps. It takes forever and puts undo wear on these small machines. However I do know a number of people buy them for that reason.

The best reason to get a backhoe is because you have a lot of digging to do (foundations, trenching, drainage)…this is what they are built for. Lots of people that buy them for this use find lots of extra uses (relocating things in garden beds, holding things up while you work on them, etc).

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
People who buy backhoes seem to like having them.

People who do not buy backhoes, seem to like to tell people that buying a backhoe makes no sense.

I never regretted buying my backhoe, after using it almost 20 years now.

Buying the backhoe did cost me a bit of my cents though...
I owned a 10' dig (3400 Ford) hoe for 33 years.
I now have an 11' dig Kubota (L48TLB).
I have used both infrequently, but when they have been needed they were very necessary.
Both BH's were removable for 3 point hitch assemblies.
The Kubota hoe has never been off, and the Ford was off once....for painting.
I do also have a 32HP Ford 1920 FEL for light loader and 3pt. hitch use.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Adding my comments to jchonline's posted quote. Please expand to view...

Grapple is a better investment for holding up logs and moving logs/brush. I also dont agree with using a compact tractor backhoe for removing stumps. It takes forever and puts undo wear on these small machines. However I do know a number of people buy them for that reason.

Well...what is the other option? Dig it out by hand? OR spend big bucks for a rental to do one stump? I agree that digging stumps with a small tractor backhoe is a bit of a pain. I have dug a lot of them though over the years. Now if possible I just clean out the earth about 6 inches down with the backhoe, and cut them off and cover with dirt, and let them rot in place. Much better use of time...

I have also over the years found that I could lift a log with the backhoe, at one end, in order to cut some off, to reduce weight, and reposition again, and cut more off. I suppose I could have done that with the loader and one bucket fork, but that would have put unequal stress on the loader arms. Not something I like to do.

The best reason to get a backhoe is because you have a lot of digging to do (foundations, trenching, drainage)…this is what they are built for.

This is one great reason, but maybe not the best reason. The best reason for me is having the backhoe to save my back. Which it has over the years numerous times, too many to count really. Honestly! Saves time too.

Lots of people that buy them for this use find lots of extra uses (relocating things in garden beds, holding things up while you work on them, etc).

Exactly! Count me as one of them...

BUT honestly, I find the old mini ex that I bought last year, more fun and better than my tractor backhoe. It has about the same reach as my tractor backhoe...so a good comparison.

So now I have a tractor backhoe AND a small mini EX. By the way, YES, the mini EX is Orange...

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Well...what is the other option?
The other option is to rent or get the correct tool for the job. Tractors are made for pulling. For land clearing, a 15 or 20 ton excavator rented for 1 day would do more than a small tractor backhoe used for a month...best of all you are banging up someone elses equipment. Wait until you have 50 stumps to remove, then rent. Save your machine. Again this is just my personal opinion...adding for OPs benefit so they can see both sides and make their own decision.

QUOTE="Henro, post: 511796, member: 38478"]
BUT honestly, I find the old mini ex that I bought last year, more fun and better than my tractor backhoe. It has about the same reach as my tractor backhoe...so a good comparison.
[/QUOTE]

I also agree on the miniEX. After just a few hours with the KX040 I can absolutely say there is no comparison for digging. I do like the backhoe better for keeping trenches straight right now...but that is probably just my lack of excavator experience doing it.

I got rid of my tractor backhoe when I got the mini EX.

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
I use my BH77 on my L3560 a lot and wouldn't be without it. I've done electrical trenching and my own leach field including exposing the old concrete tank. I took out bamboo roots from a 20 x 30 ft stand of bamboo and those roots are really tough. There are times I wish I had the BH92 for the longer reach. I also use it for little tasks like taking out a bush root now and then. I like having it on call whenever I want it. I can't afford two machines and not interested in renting so the "do a little bit of everything" tractor is right for me. I am retired so time isn't critical to me and doing it myself whenever is satisfying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The other option is to rent or get the correct tool for the job. Tractors are made for pulling. For land clearing, a 15 or 20 ton excavator rented for 1 day would do more than a small tractor backhoe used for a month...best of all you are banging up someone elses equipment. Wait until you have 50 stumps to remove, then rent. Save your machine. Again this is just my personal opinion...adding for OPs benefit so they can see both sides and make their own decision.

QUOTE="Henro, post: 511796, member: 38478"]
I also agree on the miniEX. After just a few hours with the KX040 I can absolutely say there is no comparison for digging. I do like the backhoe better for keeping trenches straight right now...but that is probably just my lack of excavator experience doing it.

I got rid of my tractor backhoe when I got the mini EX.
[/QUOTE]

A Mini-Ex is the best digging machine, and I certainly would not mind having one.
That said: Moving a pile of dirt even 100 ft. is totally impractical with a Mini-Ex.
For (an ancient)) homeowner like me, my L48TLB is at the pinnacle of all around usefulness.
The Mini-Ex is best at what it does, but it is essentially......."a one horse pony".

Reactions: 1 user

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Yep…mine gets used ALOT! We are in volcanic Boulder country too….so the hydraulic thumb is the single best thing about it.
28005070-B283-476A-8163-C1568AC075B8.jpeg
9225ADE2-83FB-4322-BB81-084603FF2C0B.jpeg

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The other option is to rent or get the correct tool for the job.
I get that. But what are the other REASONABLE options over the long term. I have found none that would have worked for me...Convenience and cost always won out in my case.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I would agree on the paying for Convenience of use as my driving factor for purchase. Very versatile attachment, I even pulled an engine with it one time. The worst part of a backhoe attachment is storage.

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
Bought L4701 with BH92 about two years ago have been very pleased with BH and Tractor. I have ran full size BH for over 30 years in agriculture before retirement. Definitely no regrets pound for pound a great attachment for home owner or small property owner that has a need for this attachment and time to work it.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Gonna have to pry the BH from my carcass, I'm always using it from May - September 👊

Reactions: 4 users

kreuss

Equipment
B26 - loader, backhoe, box blade, pallet forks
Mar 22, 2021
Lothian, MD
I went with a B26 which has a BT820 that is somewhere in between the BH77 and BH92. I've rented a miniEX a few times and agree with the rental crowd, it will get more digging work done faster, and you can rent one a whole lot of times for the cost of a backhoe. I choose to get the backhoe for convenience. I hate planning a project, renting equipment, then having the weather change and wash me out. With the backhoe I can dig for an hour after work if I feel like it, work around the weather, etc. For me that was worth the significant expense.

Reactions: 9 users