L Grand L3240 L3540

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Looking to get a L3240HSTC

What are guys currently paying out the door w/ FEL LA724

I really like the cab after getting cold and beat up by the wind and snow the other day while clearing the subdivision

What is the largest rear finish mower guys are going with I have seen 72" but does anyone have 84" or bigger? What other implements are guys using on the larger size?

Who leaves a fancy new tractor like this OUTSIDE year round?

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Sorry I can't help on the price, I go to the Kubota website, build one and look for a 10-15% reduction.

I believe you will be underpowered with a cab on a 3240 and would go with the 3540 to compensate for the added weight and compressor pull.

I considered the L3240/3540 and really liked them, but had to go with a bigger tractor.

We use to use and still own a 96" RFM, but haven't used it in a while as I am too lazy to swap back and forth on implements. My brother uses our 84" RFM on a Ford NAA and it works fine.

Good luck with your tractor shopping.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
I was simply hoping for something in the 90+ inch range. Currently I am mowing with a 60". Although 17' would be amazing, I can't imagine the price tag on something like that. I am guessing 84 is the largest I could go. I am just putting feelers out there to see what guys are using. I am only cutting 4-5 acres. With a 60" it begins to wear on you by mid summer. I really don't want to purchase a zero turn when owning a tractor therefor getting 80+ would make me happy.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
A 7 footer would be the max you could out behind there. General rule of thumb is 5 horse power per foot of impliment to power it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That's a 34 horse power tractor, I don't think it has enough power to run a 17 foot finish mower.
Actually it's listed for a 40hp tractor. If I remember right the 11' model is listed for 30hp.

KenB2920, I have a Bushhog 72" RFM that I have been cutting up to 14 acres (depending if I have time) for 13 seasons. Only repair I have done was to replace the bushings in the wheels with the upgrade roller bearings. Other than that just normal maintenance. It's still just as good as it was new, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Bushhog brand mower.

Last edited:

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Bulldog,
Which tractor are you running the 72" RFM. How many pto hp does it have?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I run it with my L3000, it has 27pto hp. If the grass it cut regularly I can run in what ever gear the ground will allow. If the grass gets to tall it's a good load on that tractor but other than that it does fine. When I say to tall I mean it really needs to have a rotary cutter put to it instead of a finish mower.

Normal mowing for me the grass is 6" - 10" tall. My motto is grass is pretty, let it grow. I figure if it gets to out of control that is a good excuse to use my M9000 and batwing.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Bulldog,
That really builds my confidence in running a 84". I usually keep my grass fairly short. I cut every week or two tops. In the summer it is more less cutting a few weeds. Very low resistance on the tractor. Maybe
I am getting a little over zealous but I don't see a major issue even for my little B2920. I just feel its the same as running a 84" ground engaging tiller or pulling a plow. Then if I step up to an L series I can choose 84". I am thinking of borrowing an 84" just to see if it works and if so how well.

I have run with my current tractor a 72" rotary mower. I had a small area to clear and with going slow it worked very well. ( I definitely wouldn't recommend it for daily use by any means but it worked amazing) its very heavy for it but the other option was hedge trimmers and weed wackers. I opted for the rotary cutter.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'll give you my honest opinion, out of every implement that I hook behind my L3000 the finish mower works it the hardest. I have a 72" mower, 62" tiller, 60" rotary cutter, backhoe and side arm mower. I have other stuff but those arm the heaviest load. The finish mower is twice the load of any other implement I listed. In supper heavy grass the rotary cutter may load it up for a short time but in general the finish mower is more like a steady constant load.

Another thing to consider is unless you have almost completely flat ground the wider your mower the worse it will scalp. I have often thought about getting a bigger mower and cutting with my 9000 just because it has air but alot of my ground won't work with a wider mower. Just a couple of things to think about.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
You are 100% on with scalping which I forgot about. I would "like" to flatten out any high spots where my 60" was scalping. Easier said than done when it comes to time. I literally have a dozen spots which could be smoothed out if I ever get the time. Aside the that, I don't "think" I have any concerns.

My big concern is conserving "time". I work an odd schedule and have the exact opposite schedule as my wife. Along with 2 very young children it's tough finding time to cut it all every time. Therefore I usually get it done every week to ten days. ( not giving a sob story, just explaining my situation).

With all of that being said:
My grass is typically nice and short where grass is a very limited load. If I cut more than a quarter inch to half of grass off the top I'd be surprised. So my question is, does the load come from simply turning the blades? Or does it come mostly from cutting through tall grass? Obviously I don't want to overload. I just want to save time. Also, if there are any other implements people can suggest maximize cutting and minimize cutting time, please let me know.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If your 60" is scalping a 84" would make your yard bald. I started out with a 48" which rarely ever scalped, tried a 60" which did okay but started to notice some scalping and my current 72" can be a problem. I have learned that certain spots can only be cut in one direction to prevent it. You know your ground better than anyone but if you are already having trouble the big mower may really be a problem.

I understand you wanting to speed up your mowing process. Makes perfect sense to me. Just remember that I'm only sharing my personal experience with you hoping it will help you make a informed choice. When I had my B7100 and 48" mower it took me 13hrs to cut everything I cut like a yard. When I moved up to the L3000 and 72" mower that time was cut down to just over 4hrs.

I see why you want the bigger mower but you can get to the point where bigger isn't better. If you are straining the guts out of your tractor or if you are always having to adjust your path of travel so it doesn't scalp you really don't save time, it hurts you. Just something to think about, hope this helps.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
I actually took a demo exmark lazer z 72" last year. Worked fabulous. Scalped no more than my 60". The problem is I couldn't utilize then speed. As bulldog I believe said earlier, you can only go as fast as the ground permits. Cutting at 12 mph theoretically sounds great but you may be green and have non fillings left. My property is like this. I brush hogged roughly 2 acres and turned it into a lawn (cut weeds). It's green and look great from a distance (bet midlar - everythngnlooks good from a distance). But in all sincerity bald doesn't matter, I could take the FEL or box blade and smooth it out. In a few weeks it will be fixed and problem resolved for eternity lol. Sorry, i had a few pops tonight.... It's a tad bumpy but doesn't have to be cut perfect. As for the front of the house, is smooth and pleasurable to cut. The fields r just a tad bumpy. I also think the air ride seat would give a tad smoother ride than my B series. Sorry for carrying on.... The beers were cold.

I was checking out his LS 4041... Very nice rig.... Again I think I could justify owning 10 tractors but my wallet says NOPE

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
How big of a lawn roller? I actually was given one last year. I need to weld a thing or two as it will only fill half way with water and leaks as it rolls. I think it holds 50 gallons or so from memory ... I would like to get it running my spring when the ground is soft to see if this helps out.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I've seen rollers of various sizes. On the smaller side from 30 inch that you could pull with a riding lawn mower up to 6 or 7 footers. I think somebody on here in the past made one from an old hot water heater that was 50 gallon in size.

Coffeebean

Equipment
L 3540 HSTC, LA724 Loader
Apr 2, 2013
London, Ohio
I use a woods 7 foot mower and have since 2009 with no problems, A/C on cool and comfortable. Also have a72 inch king kutter tiller that works great with the tractor.