L 245 mid deck mower ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That loader is going to be on the large side for your tractor, but it might work.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You might want to check indepth and see if a factory mid mower will work with the tractor and use a loader. I do believe that on this old of a tractor a mid mower and loader won't match up together at the same time. If I remember correctly a mid mower will use roughly the same brackets a loader would but they are not compatible with one another.

I doubt you can take one off and hook the other one up or have them both mounted together. May need to check with ServiceDeptVic

guzzis3

Equipment
L245
Jan 15, 2014
Queensland Australia
Thank you for that. Good thinking on mounting a mid deck and fel.

Maybe I should just wait and see what comes up on ebay and gumtree...

There is a tpl mounted 5' finishing mower near grafton (4 hours away) for $660, new.

Gosford is further in the same direction so I could take my big trailer down and pick up both. I had thought of sacrificing the mid deck as some of you suggest. Maybe it's just too hard. Maybe also adapting that fel to my tractor is going to be a big job.

I think I should just wait a while and see what comes up...

I found parts manuals for the L1700/L1730 loaders on another forum. Very enlightening. Wish I could find manuals for those mower decks. Interesting the loaders seem to either mount a pump off the front pto or tap the existing hydraulics. I'm learning...:)

I appreciate your patience with me.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Karr67

Equipment
L3200DT, FEL, Land Pride rotary cutter, Land Pride box blade
Jan 24, 2014
Kentucky, USA
I have a L175 with a Woods mid mount mower. It was a pulley the mounts to the rear PTO shaft that provides power to the mower deck belt. Check out the Woods website. I was able to find the parts manually on their site just a couple years ago. Once you look at the parts manually it will give you an idea how it mounts to the tractor. Be aware this set up does tie up your 3ph basically turning your tractor into a lawnmower. To use your 3ph for anything else would be a real pain in the butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guzzis3

Equipment
L245
Jan 15, 2014
Queensland Australia
Yeah I figured that out regarding the rear pto driving the deck. Blessed bother. As I said earlier if I rigged a hydraulic pump to the front pto I could run any deck off that and tap it for a fel if I get one. The woods solution just seems complicated and prone to failures.

Woods don't make anything for my tractor anymore.

Coldwater are remarkably cheap for loaders. I neglected to ask them if there were optional extras, like 4 way buckets or fork attachments.

There is a local tractor wrecker with a combination fel/backhoe which I assume mounts on the fel somehow. wants $7k. Came off an L245. Not really what I want though...

Anyway thank you all for your patience and help.

kubseki

Dec 17, 2012
Australia
I think Karr67 is right, this type of mower deck would be too much trouble to install and remove.
Have you tried a rear finish mower? In certain situations I think they are better than a mid deck. Anyhow here is a pic of a Superior mower that was for sale on the net (Apologies to the owner). I'm not sure how you install that :D

Attachments

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'm still trying to full understand why you have to have a mid mower over a rear mount mower?? I don't see any real key benefits to a mid over the rear. A rear mower you pull three pins pop the pto shaft and you're off and on your way to something else.

Plus with the added bonus of a rear discharge deck over side discharge you get better dispersal of the clippings that wont windrow like a side deck will.

You could have everything you want and a whole lot easier with a rear mount mower and a loader.

guzzis3

Equipment
L245
Jan 15, 2014
Queensland Australia
Anyhow here is a pic of a Superior mower that was for sale on the net (Apologies to the owner). I'm not sure how you install that :D
Yep another heath robinson effort :D Probably more reliable than the woods and quicker to detach...

I'll be mowing around and under trees, so there's going to be a lot of watching where the edge of the mower is. With a mid deck your not twisted right round as much.

I'm coming around to a rear deck though. How much difference in performance is there between a slasher and a finishing mower ? I believe the finishing mower is supposed to give a cleaner cut and a slasher is supposed to handle harder conditions but how much does it actually matter ?

There is a new 60" finishing mower about 5 hours drive from me for $660.

Any comments on the coldwater loaders ?

BTW I've read a heap of threads here trying to find answers for myself. I've never been much good at searching things online. If anyone cares to point me at previous similar discussions I'd be grateful for that. Trying to get my head around things..

Again thank you for your interest...

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
It wont hardly take any getting used to with a rear mower. I'd jump on the 60" for that price.

And you are correct about the slasher and finish mower. A slasher is a rough cut mower that can mow down thick tall grass and sapplings usually up to an inch and a half. The finish mower is a finer cut for lawns. It'll leave the same cut quatlity on the rear mower as a mid mower would. Much like a riding lawn mower.

Guys around here seem to be buying up loaders from Coldwater, we've seen installation photos and everyone is happy with the easy of installing. We have yet to hear back from anyone after a few months on how the like the loader.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Guzzis3-
You never really stated what you want to mow.

I have a L185 with a 4 foot rear mount shredder (slasher, brush hog, whatever you call it). I use it to mow a 4 acre field of grass/weeds with the occasional piece of brush. I went with the rear mount because it can be adjusted to heights that will leave the grass fairly tall - 6 to 10 inches. Finishing mowers will generally only go up to about 4 or 5 inches since they have wheels at the 4 corners and just drag behind the tractor on the lift arms (I think). I don't think you can mow with them lifted off the ground but I may be wrong in that. The shredder is held up by the 3 pt hitch so it can be lifted fairly high. For what I needed the finish mower just would not mow high enough.

You will have to get used to the rear mount since it swings around as you turn the tractor, it does not track behind like a trailer would, but swings in an arc. I have wacked a tree or two when not paying attention and turning too sharp, too fast...

Also the weight is carried by the tractor and will make the front end fairly light if the shredder is too large or heavy. Even with the 4 foot on my tractor I added weights to the front to make if feel more stable on bumps and going up inclines.

guzzis3

Equipment
L245
Jan 15, 2014
Queensland Australia
Russell King: I am hopefully about to buy 4 acres. I say hopefully because I have for a couple of months now been trying to get some clarity on enviromental restrictions on the land. I currently live on small acreage but it's mountainside so the brushcutter has to be brought out for much of it. The new block is essentially flat. I appreciate your concern about the tractor going front light. I suppose if I end up with a rear finish mower and a loader it'll balance out ok.

I appreciate also your point about cutting height. I really want to get the block clean and smooth at the start. I've lived here 17 years now and am just really over the struggle of dealing with "hard" land. I'm getting old and less tolerant :D

Next week I hope I'll have time to get down to grafton and pick up that finish mower. Kubota put 60" mowers on the L245 so it should be an ok size. I am hoping I can fit it in the back of my forester.

What do you think of the feasibility of trailing a lawn sweeper behind a finish mower ? I'd really like to collect and compost the clippings and keep the grounds neat...

I really should have asked coldwater if they do accessories/options like 4 way bucket or fork attachments or whatever. If I'm spending almost as much shipping the loader out here I might as well get any extras they offer.

Again thank you all for your replies. As I said if there are other threads I should be reading I'd appreciate a heads up.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If you get a rear discharge finishing mower the clippings will blow all over the lawn sweeper. Might get lucky and catch some in the hooper and by pass the sweeping motion but I don't think they make a sweeper to cover a 60 inch wide path.

You're best bet if you want a neater apperance would be to put mulching blades on the bottom of the deck and mow on a consistant basis and don't let it get too tall. I have mulching blades on all my mowers and its night and day difference if mowed properly.

guzzis3

Equipment
L245
Jan 15, 2014
Queensland Australia
Thank you for that. Good information. Maybe I'll have to go round twice :)

This may or may not be a useful data point. The previous owner sent me the owners manual/parts book. In it is noted my tractor number and that it was purchased in 1980. The number is 51295. I don't know if that will help someone date theirs.