kx161 versus other minis

sampeters

Equipment
rtv, m5040 b3200hd, kx161 (hopefully)
May 11, 2014
strafford, vt usa
hi folks; new to this forum and know next to nothing (okay nothing) about excavators. Looking for mini ex advice. sorry in advance for the long post.

I am looking at purchasing a Kubota KX161-3R4AS (2009 750hrs) for 45K from local dealer. Dealer is awesome -- I have 3 other Kubotas from them and have dealt with them for20+ years. anycase, looking for advice obviously on the KX161. unit has thumb / angle blade / 2' bucket / quick coupler /cab,...

good price given the hours? how does it compare to a Bobcat E50 or something similar?

Maintenance-wise my other Kubota stuff (RTV, M5040cab,B3200HSD) run flawlessly; I've had only a handful of bonafide problems over the years.

I am guessing an excavator will see rougher conditions and hence need more maintenance. Beside applying grease, my mechanical skills on this stuff is pretty limited.

As a side note, I have a Woods backhoe for my M5040 but it is such a pain to take on/off that I never it use it -- plus it's limitations for mobility while digging are obvious.

Thanks again for any advice.
-sam

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Look up excavator or mini excavator on ebay, and you will find a lot for comparison. 750 hrs in 5 years was probably rental service - 6hrs/day, 5 days a week for 25 weeks. Close to new. Your dealer does not want to lose your good faith.

The first mini I saw on ebay was a bobcat with 6000+ hours for about $20K.

You are the guy that thinks you'll get $45K worth of use out of it. I wouldn't be nervous about the excavator. Low hours. Probably like new.

sampeters

Equipment
rtv, m5040 b3200hd, kx161 (hopefully)
May 11, 2014
strafford, vt usa
thanks for the reply -- the kx that I am looking at was actually used by a guy on a private estate / horse farm. Knowing nothing about excavators but tons about tractors, i am just trying to get a sense of stuff. thanks.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
If you have need for the machine, buy it. I don't have any info price wise. I buy KX-71 and KX-41. The 71 approaches 40k so the 161 with low hours and being a one owner machine in good shape should be well worth 45k. I buy them for my rental stores. I have owned 3 other brands and proved to myself that when you leave Kubota, you are going downhill. They are the only mini I have used that can stand up to rental service. The machines eventually wear out but until they do, they don't break. Customers break them but that's what it usually takes for me to have to buy parts. Keep it serviced and it will outlive you.

radman1420

Equipment
MX 5100, KX 121-3
Aug 6, 2012
Athens, Alabama
I have a 2005 KX 121-3 with 1600 hrs on it that I will sell to you for 17k. I personally loved the machine until the hydraulic pump failed. It was $3600 for a new pump plus fluids o-rings etc about $4200 to get back running. I wanted to just have the pump rebuilt and found out fast no matter who you call it cant be done because kayaba is the pump manufacturer and they have a proprietary relationship with kubota and will only sell parts to kubota. kubota wont sell you the pump parts they will make you buy a new pump from them. My mini has bee sitting for about 8 months while I tried finding parts to rubuild the pump. I did find a place in china who will sell the parts but trying to talk to them .... well I couldnt make it happen. Long story short im selling mine and going over to cat.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I have a 2005 KX 121-3 with 1600 hrs on it that I will sell to you for 17k. I personally loved the machine until the hydraulic pump failed. It was $3600 for a new pump plus fluids o-rings etc about $4200 to get back running. I wanted to just have the pump rebuilt and found out fast no matter who you call it cant be done because kayaba is the pump manufacturer and they have a proprietary relationship with kubota and will only sell parts to kubota. kubota wont sell you the pump parts they will make you buy a new pump from them. My mini has bee sitting for about 8 months while I tried finding parts to rubuild the pump. I did find a place in china who will sell the parts but trying to talk to them .... well I couldnt make it happen. Long story short im selling mine and going over to cat.
Going over to CAT, and you thought Kubota parts were expensive. Wait till you buy Cat parts.