Kubota ZG-124E / RCK48P-124Z muffler

easye9

Equipment
ZG-124e
Apr 4, 2020
PA
Long story short, 3 out of the 4 muffler bolts loosened up and came off during its 10 years. All was good until last week when the muffler finally dropped down.

Realized that was the problem, I ordered the bolts and gaskets. Slapped it together today and it started to sound like it was going to turn over, but this is what I get...

Apparently I can not attach a quick 5 second video. But it makes a loud buzzing sound (maybe I flooded it) as it will not even attempt to turn-over. I am guessing it has to be fuel related. I would say there is about 40-50% gas in the tank. Fuel filter and pump I changed out maybe 2-3 seasons ago. Everything else changed in that time frame as well (battery, solenoid, spark plugs, oil / filter.)

Any idea how I can "start" it back up?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you think you flooded it it should still crank.
If the motor isn't turning, it's a battery or wiring issue.

easye9

Equipment
ZG-124e
Apr 4, 2020
PA
If you think you flooded it it should still crank.
If the motor isn't turning, it's a battery or wiring issue.

So I went back out to look, I do not see any wiring that is loose or damage. I did just change the start fuse because it was dirty as hell but nothing. I don't think it could be the battery because that and the solenoid I just put it, like within the year.
I guess I can try to jump it tomorrow. The crankshaft spins very slowly if any, it just makes that buzzing sound. So maybe it needs to be jump, but longer, because I did jump it for a few minutes after I first problem solved it the first time. I don't get how it could have been working all that time with a loose muffler, until now fixing the muffler and nada.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Remove both ends of both battery cables and clean the ends and Inspect the cables for corrosion.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Perhaps the muffler is now crushing on a wire or connector and causing a problem?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Just had this happen on mine (ZG127)

the engine mount bolts were all missing. One broken, 2 were completely gone, one loose but keeping the engine on the frame.

Since the engine was flopping around, it allowed the muffler to loosen.

Loose engine mounts cause bad ground as well. So, you'd be wise to check them.

They are 3/8-24 on the Kohlers, I don't remember on the Briggs and Scrap-iron engines. Probably the same but I can't remember.

easye9

Equipment
ZG-124e
Apr 4, 2020
PA
Remove both ends of both battery cables and clean the ends and Inspect the cables for corrosion.

Update it was the battery. Even though it should not have been dead, I think my Daughter left it on. It took a few minutes to charge it up, but it works now. Thank you!