Kubota v2203DU ???

chris3434

Jun 10, 2014
Louisiana
Hello my name is Chris i'm really grateful i was able to find this forum after days of searching about the Kubota v2203DI engine.

I'm pipe welder and I have a 1970 Lincoln sa 200 welding machine i am rebuilding. I know several guys out there are using the Kubota v2203 diesel engines converting these machines from gas to diesel.

I have found many of these engines for sale and one guy actually locally here selling them that came out of the reefer trailers.

My questions are this, with proper up keep of these engines how many hours can the engines go before rebuild???

When they do need to be rebuilt what is the going rate for boring and assembling a Kubota v2203DI?? I know a kit online i have seen go for about $657.00 but not sure if the kit is good quality.

Are these engines sleeved or can they be sleeved if they have to be bored a lot??

The engine I believe what i need for this welder would be at least a 46 or 51 horse power engine. The local guy I have talked to I have asked if he could start and run the engine before i buy it and he said he would which means everything to me. His price I believe are from $1200-1800 I guess this would depend hours of the engine and he offers a 60 day warranty. I believe he has three mechanics who go through them to make sure there ok, i will find out more detail in a couple of days when i go and see it.

I'm just trying to educate myself here and you guys who know these motors, what all should i look for when buying one of these engines.

Thanks
Chris

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't have experience with that exact engine but my first Kubota had over 6000 hrs when I traded it in and was still running strong.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Price sound about right, and the best thing to look for is blow by, if it's low or not at all that's a good sign. Also if it smokes white or gray not good, little gray or black on startup is normal as long as it goes away fairly quickly.

chris3434

Jun 10, 2014
Louisiana
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to look for that. This guy just called me today saying something about the mechanic that runs them is having surgery and do i need to see it run. I told Him i have to see it run, told him I can wait till next week. He wants this sale he needs to start it for me is the way i look at it. I have seen people start them up for a few seconds with out having water going into it and I think that is fine just don't let it run long but if he had it hooked to a radiator that would be even better because lie you said i can see if there is white smoke meaning water is getting in the cylinder.

Thanks
Chris

UPDATE:

I talked to a company here today http://wheelersengines.com/brochure/Wheelers_V2203_Brochure.pdf

They rebuild the engines and a price to rebuild this engine would be $3800 + Tax I have learned that this company rebuilds a lot of these engines which are in forklift for some chicks distribution company but the guys said with proper up keep like anything these engines could last a very very last time. He also did say that these engine can only be bored one size over and that the number 4 cylinder a lot of times had to be bored pretty for which then requires the to sleeve the engine. From what i understand pretty much all diesel engines can be re-sleeved if need to be.

another thing he told me to see what the difference from a Tier 1 and a tier two engines is a tier 1 there is four bolts that go straight down the center of the valve cover so this will tell you it is a tier 1 engine. A tier 2 engine the valve cover will have bolts going around the enders of the valve cover telling you it is a tier 2. He said pretty much all the 2203 engines re the same just the tier 3 and 4 just have more the emissions stuff on them.

Just would like to add this for anyone else who is needing ay info about thee engines in the future.

Last edited: