Kubota Transmission Filter & Fluid Change

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
How are they doing it? Jacking the front of the tractor up in the air and letting all the oil run to the back of the tractor?
They use a vacuum to suck on the fill hole. This would keep the fluid from draining.

Mine has the filters above the oil level, and you only loose whats in the filter and line above it (even though the manual say to drain the oil). So no need to drain or use the vacuum. I don't know how your unit is set up... you may want to see if it is really nessesary to drain or use the vacuum or not on your unit.

EDIT: Sorry... I wrote this response before I realized there was more than one page of posts. So it was redundant and outdated to the thread.

Last edited:

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
And he is basing this on what?????
Decades of experience maintaining and repairing Kubota tractors? Being a large Kubota dealership service manager? Seeing test results of hydraulic oils that were run way past service schedule and are still well within spec?

Reactions: 1 user

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
Decades of experience maintaining and repairing Kubota tractors? Being a large Kubota dealership service manager? Seeing test results of hydraulic oils that were run way past service schedule and are still well within spec?
I would agree it should be in this day an age !! Do you have any insight on why they call for 400hr change intervals on hydraulic same as engine oil on L series and some other model Kubotas.This would be like 3-4 times a year on heavy user not so much on home owner.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
I would agree it should be in this day an age !! Do you have any insight on why they call for 400hr change intervals on hydraulic same as engine oil on L series and some other model Kubotas.This would be like 3-4 times a year on heavy user not so much on home owner.
My B2650 oil changes are sheduled 200 hours apart. I look at it this way:

- my pickup truck a 2006 Tacoma 4x4 has oil change intervals of 8000 km.

- at 50 km/hr it would take 160 hours to go 8000 km.

So my truck, if it averaged 50km/hr, would takle 160 hours to need the next oil change.

Perspective.

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC

So my truck, if it averaged 50km/hr, would takle 160 hours to need the next oil change.

Perspective.
[/QUOTE

Perspective.
motor oil and hydraulic oil are very different in different systems of the tractor !! How often is transmission oil changed in your 2006 Toyota you change that every time you change motor oil ?? Our 2012 Toyota Camry was changed a 60,000 again at 120,000. not every motor oil change!! Most newer vehicles are 100,000 on transmission oil changes !!Kubota every 400 hrs on L series is obsessive in this day an age should easily go 1k hours as I stated in other post there’s hydraulic oil out and been rated for 4K hour change intervals !!

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
I'm just pointing out that the 200 hour B2650 engine oil change interval has a rough equivalent to a motor vehicle's km scheduled maintenance interval for engine oil. Not a direct reference to SUDT2 change intervals.
And even there, with my gas truck, the oil I use is Full Synthetic and after 8,000 km what I drain still ahs that slight tan-colored ting of fresh oil. Though I haven't had the old truck oil tested, I would bet big that it still has another 8,000 km of effective life left in it.
The point is I agree, change intervals seem to be set up to benefit oil and filter supply companies over working their products through their real effective lifespan.
And the schedule has to consider the worst case scenario where the operator regularly abuses the tractor and the fluids grow old faster.
Whatever, I'm still sticking to the maintenance schedule. Nothing more, nothing less.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Decades of experience maintaining and repairing Kubota tractors? I have for over 4 decades, had several hundred hours of manufactures training and some college courses in Ag and Construction equipment repair/maintenance.

Being a large Kubota dealership service manager? I was for over 2 decades.

Seeing test results of hydraulic oils that were run way past service schedule and are still well within spec? Yes, sometimes they do.

The Hydraulic-Transaxle oil in a tractor is scheduled for changing much more often than Hydraulic only oil. The reason is because of the contaminants and wear debris from gears, brakes, and clutches. This is why track and wheel loaders and excavator's hyd oil changes are several times longer than tractors. On those machines, there are no drive train components contaminating the oil. It has nothing to do with the oil being worn out.

Even large articulated tractors with a separate hydraulic tank containing the same oil as is used in the transmission schedules the transmission oil changed more often than the hydraulic oil. Some schedule the hydraulic oil change at 1000 to 1500 hours.

Reactions: 1 users

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
L series very little fluid loss on Transmission filter or Hydraulic on left side that is longer with a magnet ring for metal.I had filters ready to go when I did 50 hr service I don’t think I lost a half a quart.
Don't suppose you still have the part numbers for the filters handy? I am trying to make sure I am getting the correct ones.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
What are the drive components on loaders,dozers,
I do not know about dozers, but wheel loaders, track loaders and excavators are hydrostatic drives and the finals or the gears are running in 90w gear oil. The gear oil is changed much sooner than the hydraulic oil.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I'm just reaching here, but isn't the oil change interval for HST tractors much more frequent than for clutch/manual transmissions? The clutch packs and hydraulic motor in an HST will be a lot harder on the hydraulic oil than will a regular clutched transmission. My guess would be that oil designed to last 800 hours in a standard transmission would need changing at least twice as often in an HST. I think can see why 400 hours on an HST. HOWEVER, if it's PTO hours, i.e. a chipper or other stationary PTO device like a generator, I might be inclined to push out the change if it isn't discolored and smelly. Until the tractor's out of warranty, though, I think I'll just follow the guide to avoid any warranty claim issues.

As for the change at 50H, I learned the hard way to make sure to have the right filter ready to put on, or more correctly, that it's actually easier to drain the oil than it is to fight against gravity. I won't be making that mistake again. I lost just over a gallon out of 4+. What came out didn't look as bad as what's in that pan, and since I was adding the loss back to it, plus a little more when I topped off, I had no real problem putting what I captured (in a new clean catch pan) back in the tractor. I used a double layer of muslin in my funnel to pour through, because I didn't want to risk any possible plastic shavings from the new catch pan going into the transmission. I checked the drained filters for suggested copious amounts of silicone sealer and other mentioned objectionable debris, and saw none. So apparently the assembly was pretty meticulous at the factory. The first 50 hours on my LX were not kind hours. I thrashed it pretty hard, but tried to keep the engine break-in limits in mind. Seems I remember reading "Stay below 2400 RPM until after the first oil change." I'm not sure I see much difference in 2400 and 2800 RPM, but I'm pretty good at following rules whether I agree with 'em or not. Even the engine oil I drained from it was barely discolored at 50H. But, Kubota said change it. So I did.

I'm also in agreement that anything that costs $22/gal should last longer, but on the other hand, look how much engine oil costs. A 5 quart jug of Castrol GTX (Edge) 20W-50 is nearly $50 now. It's all a matter of perspective, isn't it? Do I run cheap oil and change more often, or good oil so I get better protection? That's the questions we have to keep in mind. I'm not recommending any oil, but the mentioned oil is what I've run in my old 1992 5.0L for 171,000 miles, and a hot-rodded air-cooled 1800 cc VW that had 400 degree head temps that would kill any other oil I put in it. Hard to argue with success.

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
I do not know about dozers, but wheel loaders, track loaders and excavators are hydrostatic drives and the finals or the gears are running in 90w gear oil. The gear oil is changed much sooner than the hydraulic oil.
Yes and Kubota L series you can run Super UDT 2 in front differential with an 800 hr change intervals !! I agree the wheel loaders,excavators,and dozers being HST drive with way longer change intervals on fluid not 400 hrs same as motor oil.

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
What are the drive components on loaders,dozers,
If Kubotas Super UDT 2 fluid can last way longer than 400 hrs but there worried about contamination I don’t understand why it’s not more like initial change at 400 hr then second one at 1k and 1k there after have filter changes every 250 hrs is cheaper than dumping oil every 400 hrs.As I’ve stated there behind times in this change intervals 400 hrs ridiculous !!

BIGO

Equipment
M5660suhd X1140 RVT
Sep 13, 2018
Fl
Same experience at my dealership. They tried to talk me out of doing fluid change at 50 hours, and talk me out of buying SUDT2 vs the dino version. I'm glad I didn't listen to them.

I dont know if its just the picture or not but that doesnt look good, especially if theres only 50hrs on it. Again , it could just be the way it looks in the picture????

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I dont know if its just the picture or not but that doesnt look good, especially if theres only 50hrs on it. Again , it could just be the way it looks in the picture????
it was pretty brown, i dunno how long the machine was in its crate, dont know why it was that color, rust, mixed oil of another type, who knows, I didn't get it tested. Machine runs great, its under warranty, I'm not worried about it, glad I changed it at 50hr vs following the manual. Coming up on 100 hours now.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Yes and Kubota L series you can run Super UDT 2 in front differential with an 800 hr change intervals !! I agree the wheel loaders,excavators,and dozers being HST drive with way longer change intervals on fluid not 400 hrs same as motor oil.
L series can run either 80/90w or SUDT2 in the front axle with a 400hr service interval. See pdf.

Attachments

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
L series can run either 80/90w or SUDT2 in the front axle with a 400hr service interval. See pdf.
Your looking at top 400 hr section of manual I’m looking at high lighted 800 hr number above Font differential axel fluid change I can see some confusion to this caused by Kubotas manual.