Kubota Transmission Filter & Fluid Change

Orange Man Good

Equipment
MX5400 HST
Mar 1, 2021
Somewhere Alabama
If you don't know which filter is which, let me assure you, you will know if you have the wrong one ready to go back on if you take the Hydraulic Suction filter off. They are NOT interchangeable at all. I liken my experience to the monkey trying to put the cork back in. I figured out on my first 50H service attempt on my LX2610SU, that it's smarter to just go ahead and drain the fluid via the drain plugs. So, I had a second and much more successful service procedure on the second try. You have a lot better control of the oil that REALLY wants to come out of that transmission. It just simply doesn't want to be in there any more. Someone posted a rather humorous description of the preparation for a colonoscopy in another thread. Pulling that suction filter off is not much different from effects of the industrial grade laxative given for that procedure. It isn't very nice when your tractor is behaving like it just drank 16 quarts of liquid dynamite. It will purge itself, all over you, all over your floor.

Both filters are actually below the top of the fluid level, and both will 'bleed' if removed without some ingenuity applied, or without draining the fluid. The HST (Transmission) filter can be changed by pulling a vacuum on the transmission case with a shop vac. Use a clothes pin or something similar to pinch off the transmission vent for a slightly better vacuum. This will minimize the 'bleeding' from the HST filter. If you're changing the Suction (Hydraulic) filter, I'm not sure that will help. You're basically opening up the main vein to the heart of your tractor. Good luck with that. In less than 30 seconds, I lost a gallon of very expensive SUDT2. Your safest bet is to keep a dedicated CLEAN drain pan for the SUDT2, and use a funnel with some kind of straining/filtering capability to put it back in. Don't use the same catch pan for motor oil unless you're just capturing it for recycle. If you don't want to put it back in, that's OK too. Just keep in mind that SUDT2 is just over $20/gallon. The LX holds just over 4 gallons (15 liters).

What I learned about the OM for the LX, is that it is WRONG about which filter is who. The instructions for changing the HST filter have a diagram showing the Hydraulic (SUCTION) filter. And vice versa. You can imagine my dismay when the HST filter that I had carefully prepped to be able to put on quickly would not fit while my brand new tractor was puking all over me like a newborn baby that ate too much. If I'd had the right filter prepped, yeah, I probably could have done it without losing much more than a half gallon or so. That was my plan. I read, I studied, I thought, and I STILL got it wrong. I'm a firm believer that when all else fails read the instructions. This time, I read the instructions first. That was my undoing.
Thanks for sharing your experience Old_Paint. Do you think the manual for the MX series is wrong also about which filter is which?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Buy both filters, and mark the boxes as to what each filter is for. Then compare the suction filter to the two on the tractor, and your question as to which is which will be answered. You can even write "SUCTION" on the end of the filter. I always mark the hours on the machine and the date that I change the filters on the face of the filter. Makes it easy to know when to change them, and better than writing it on paper that gets lost.

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Buy both filters, and mark the boxes as to what each filter is for. Then compare the suction filter to the two on the tractor, and your question as to which is which will be answered. You can even write "SUCTION" on the end of the filter. I always mark the hours on the machine and the date that I change the filters on the face of the filter. Makes it easy to know when to change them, and better than writing it on paper that gets lost.
Did exactly that, date and run-hours when changed written on the ends of the filters. The point is, the OM for the LX CLEARLY points to the wrong filters for the descriptions of changing them. A new tractor owner isn't likely to question the document, unless they've owned similar equipment. I have not. The procedure for the HST filter shows a picture of the Hydraulic (Suction) filter, and the procedure for the Hydraulic filter has a picture for the Transmission (HST) filter. Since the word SUCTION isn't used in the book, and I was smart enough to know that Transmission meant the HST, I went wrong, VERY WRONG. The filters are marked "HST" and "SUCTION" on the filter cans, but not on the box. There's a wonderful QR code on the box that will just spit the part number back at you, which I then let Siri look up and found them on the WWW. Yup, it's a Kubota Filter, Part number X. Umm, which is which? I took 'em outta the box, and finally found the designations on the cans, in very small print. Even then, the book still pointed me to the wrong filters. The description for changing the Hydraulic (SUCTION) filter includes draining the oil. For the transmission, it's a complete omission, and sort of implies that some kind of magic will keep the fluid in the tractor when it's removed. It does NOT. The vacuum idea is very appealing for the HST swap. Gonna have to give that a go on the next filter change that is just the transmission.

Reactions: 1 user

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
This is the response that I received from Kubota about the oil filter illustrations:

Customer By Service Web (03/08/2021 01:36 PM)

It was brought to my attention on Orange Tractor Talks that there might be a LX2610 manual error – I looked in the LX2610 manual and compared to the B2650 manual and the drawings seem to have the location of the Transmission filter and the Hydraulic filter swapped. I am ‘assuming’ that the B2650 and LX2610 are similar enough that they would not have swapped the location of the filters.

Could you please find out which drawings are correct? I have the drawings from the LX2610 and B2650 attached showing the filter locations in similar locations on each with different labels. I checked the Shop manual and they are swapped there also.

Response By Email (R G) (03/09/2021 04:30 PM)

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have found that the illustrations are, indeed, incorrect. We do not have the proper images available at this time, but we will start the revision process on this manual.

Regards,

Ruth G.
Kubota Customer Satisfaction

Reactions: 3 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Did exactly that, date and run-hours when changed written on the ends of the filters. The point is, the OM for the LX CLEARLY points to the wrong filters for the descriptions of changing them. A new tractor owner isn't likely to question the document, unless they've owned similar equipment. I have not. The procedure for the HST filter shows a picture of the Hydraulic (Suction) filter, and the procedure for the Hydraulic filter has a picture for the Transmission (HST) filter. Since the word SUCTION isn't used in the book, and I was smart enough to know that Transmission meant the HST, I went wrong, VERY WRONG. The filters are marked "HST" and "SUCTION" on the filter cans, but not on the box. There's a wonderful QR code on the box that will just spit the part number back at you, which I then let Siri look up and found them on the WWW. Yup, it's a Kubota Filter, Part number X. Umm, which is which? I took 'em outta the box, and finally found the designations on the cans, in very small print. Even then, the book still pointed me to the wrong filters. The description for changing the Hydraulic (SUCTION) filter includes draining the oil. For the transmission, it's a complete omission, and sort of implies that some kind of magic will keep the fluid in the tractor when it's removed. It does NOT. The vacuum idea is very appealing for the HST swap. Gonna have to give that a go on the next filter change that is just the transmission.
I only see one filter on the right side of the underneath of the BX22 and my new to me BX23S. On the BX22, the last time it was done by the dealership, and I have no idea of what happens when the filter is removed. I searched these forums, and didn't find anything that was specific to the BX tractor. Does anyone know if when you remove the filter, the transmission will drain, or will it be like someone else has said, it will only drip a small amount. I am assuming that both the BX22 and the BX23S are similar, since they both take the same filters.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
The filters that are installed from the factory have part numbers, physical size difference, and one is marked "suction". Simply match these before installing their identical replacements :rolleyes:

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
The filters that are installed from the factory have part numbers, physical size difference, and one is marked "suction". Simply match these before installing their identical replacements :rolleyes:
The factory filters on mine were painted grey, no markings visible. I posted copies of the filter procedures from my OM, in another thread. I promise, the book is WRONG.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I only see one filter on the right side of the underneath of the BX22 and my new to me BX23S. On the BX22, the last time it was done by the dealership, and I have no idea of what happens when the filter is removed. I searched these forums, and didn't find anything that was specific to the BX tractor. Does anyone know if when you remove the filter, the transmission will drain, or will it be like someone else has said, it will only drip a small amount. I am assuming that both the BX22 and the BX23S are similar, since they both take the same filters.
The transmission filter on a BX series is pressure fed, the trans-axle will not drain when you remove the filter.

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
Hey guys, I am new to the forum and wanted to say hello as well as ask you for your opinion. I was reading through the operator's manual for the MX Series tractors and noticed that Kubota is calling for the transmission filter and fluid to be changed at 50 hours as well as every 200 hours thereafter. Are any of you out there changing it this much?
My L4701 I changed hydraulic filter at 50hr and fluid at 400 hr and obviously another hydro filter and transmission filter per owners manual 2019 model HST obviously.Personally I fell this is ridiculous in this day in age I ran JD 160 D excavator hydraulic fluid rated for 4K hrs filters 1k hours full synthetic !! Now as an 20 acre property owner took me 2 yrs to hit 400hrs but a full time farmer or landscaper it could be 4-5 times a year ?? Also Kubota oil change is 400 hrs in an engine of combustion hydraulic should easily outlast motor oil !!!My L series at 50 did Transmission filter and Hydraulic did not change fluid I think that’s way over board and I’m pretty big on servicing equipment with years of farm and heavy equipment behind me.Some have dumped Trans -Hydro fluid at 50 hrs but it’s not in my manual it’s not a cheap service Kubota Super UDT 2 is little over $22.00 a gal I needed 10.6 gallons and trans and hydraulic filter over $300.00 times that by 4-5 times if tractor is used daily. I could see every 1k hrs fluid change and filer for hydraulic like 500 hr and trans could stay 200 hr intervals but 400 seems lite in this day in age. I like to know Kubotas reasoning for this ??? I also like to know other manufacturers hydraulic service intervals should be able to obtain these ??

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
The transmission filter on a BX series is pressure fed, the trans-axle will not drain when you remove the filter.
L series very little fluid loss on Transmission filter or Hydraulic on left side that is longer with a magnet ring for metal.I had filters ready to go when I did 50 hr service I don’t think I lost a half a quart.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
My M6040 hydro shuttle, has 300hr filter change and 600 hr fluid change..
I attempted a filter change last time with the tractor tipped up on blocks so the filters would drain back...NOT!
Sheesh, I lost a couple of gallons and soaked my clothes in seconds.:mad:
I will be doing fluid and filter next change so it won't be and issue.
I will try the vacuum next filter only change.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My L4701 I changed hydraulic filter at 50hr and fluid at 400 hr and obviously another hydro filter and transmission filter per owners manual 2019 model HST obviously.Personally I fell this is ridiculous in this day in age I ran JD 160 D excavator hydraulic fluid rated for 4K hrs filters 1k hours full synthetic !! Now as an 20 acre property owner took me 2 yrs to hit 400hrs but a full time farmer or landscaper it could be 4-5 times a year ?? Also Kubota oil change is 400 hrs in an engine of combustion hydraulic should easily outlast motor oil !!!My L series at 50 did Transmission filter and Hydraulic did not change fluid I think that’s way over board and I’m pretty big on servicing equipment with years of farm and heavy equipment behind me.Some have dumped Trans -Hydro fluid at 50 hrs but it’s not in my manual it’s not a cheap service Kubota Super UDT 2 is little over $22.00 a gal I needed 10.6 gallons and trans and hydraulic filter over $300.00 times that by 4-5 times if tractor is used daily. I could see every 1k hrs fluid change and filer for hydraulic like 500 hr and trans could stay 200 hr intervals but 400 seems lite in this day in age. I like to know Kubotas reasoning for this ??? I also like to know other manufacturers hydraulic service intervals should be able to obtain these ??
I mentioned to my Kubota dealership service manager (it's a pretty big Kubota dealership) about insisting on changing the SUDT oil at 50 hours, not 400 as per the manual, as it had been mentioned here a number of times. I was prepping to do my 50 hour service on my B2650 and I was curious about his thoughts on that. Was told in no uncertain terms that it was unnecessary and to just change the HST filter at 50 hours and keep the original oil as per manual, until the 400 hours drop.

He THEN said that the UDT Premium oil is made to last easily over 800 hours! So I took his advice and stuck with the manual without any concern about the oil being a problem. Which also saved me about $150 bucks worth of oil and suction filter.
He DID suggest I look carefully at the HST filter for any signs of metal shaving or shards indicating a problem, and record anything I see in case there's a warranty claim down the line that may relate to it.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I mentioned to my Kubota dealership service manager (it's a pretty big Kubota dealership) about insisting on changing the SUDT oil at 50 hours, not 400 as per the manual, as it had been mentioned here a number of times. I was prepping to do my 50 hour service on my B2650 and I was curious about his thoughts on that. Was told in no uncertain terms that it was unnecessary and to just change the HST filter at 50 hours and keep the original oil as per manual, until the 400 hours drop.

He THEN said that the UDT Premium oil is made to last easily over 800 hours! So I took his advice and stuck with the manual without any concern about the oil being a problem. Which also saved me about $150 bucks worth of oil and suction filter.
He DID suggest I look carefully at the HST filter for any signs of metal shaving or shards indicating a problem, and record anything I see in case there's a warranty claim down the line that may relate to it.
Same experience at my dealership. They tried to talk me out of doing fluid change at 50 hours, and talk me out of buying SUDT2 vs the dino version. I'm glad I didn't listen to them.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If that pan has your hydraulic oil in it, then I would be sending a sample out for analysis. That certainly doesn't look right to me.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
It was. Glad I didn't keep in there for 350 more hours. I did not have blackstone tubes handy. Will next time, if I remember. Nothing to back this up, but the HST is quieter now w sudt2.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
If that pan has your hydraulic oil in it, then I would be sending a sample out for analysis. That certainly doesn't look right to me.
I am curious as to the reason(s) you say it doesn't look right. Not challenging your analysis, it's just I don't have any experience of what it "should" look like to compare to.

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC

Well 800 hrs is better than 400 hrs obviously I figured they didn’t trust there equipment or got a deal with who’s making the oil for them ??

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I am curious as to the reason(s) you say it doesn't look right. Not challenging your analysis, it's just I don't have any experience of what it "should" look like to compare to.
It looks pretty gruesome (badly discolored and perhaps overheated) to me.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Because I have a Kubota BX 22 that when the oil was changed at 50 hours, it was clear just like the oil that went in. I have helped some friends that also have Kubota tractors, change their oils, and have never seen any of them with discolored oil.