Kubota Transmission Filter & Fluid Change

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
How are they doing it? Jacking the front of the tractor up in the air and letting all the oil run to the back of the back of the tractor?
Some say park it on a side slope some say elevate the back (assuming filters come off the rear of the pan).
But most common seems to be to use a shop vac to pull a slight vacuum on the sump to keep the fluid from running out. I haven't used either method.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
How would you put a vacuum on the sump? Where is the sump?
They fit it to the filler cap opening so it pulls air and not fluid. I used sump to mean basically the gear case that contains the oil. Some of the others on here can tell you better.

ExT-six

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota L3901, LA525 loader, Land Pride RCF2760 mower, Land Pride RTA1266 tiller.
Sep 24, 2020
Fort Payne Alabama
Ok so I am a little confused here and maybe you guys can help clear it up. If you look at the maintenance schedule that I uploaded for the MX series, Kubota is showing that the transmission oil should be changed every 400 hours. However, they are also showing that the transmission oil filter should be changed every 200 hours. So are they saying to change the filter independent of the fluid?
That is what my L3901H manual calls for also. Filter at 200 and fluid at 400.

Orange Man Good

Equipment
MX5400 HST
Mar 1, 2021
Somewhere Alabama
They fit it to the filler cap opening so it pulls air and not fluid. I used sump to mean basically the gear case that contains the oil. Some of the others on here can tell you better.
Yeah I remembered reading that in the Deere operator's manual for the 4052M. I had a copy of it so I uploaded it for everyone to see. However, this begs the question why Kubota did not state the same thing in theirs?

Attachments

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
How are they doing it? Jacking the front of the tractor up in the air and letting all the oil run to the back of the tractor?
Side slant with filter on high side, or a vacuum cleaner sucking on the fill spout, or just go fast and dont lose much.

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Changing the HST filter loses very little oil as it is pressure fed. Now, the SUCTION filter is another story, but it is changed at the same time as the hydraulic oil.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
B2650HST maintenance schedule:

The engine oil and filter, and HST and Hydraulic oil filters filters are changed at the 50 hours initial service, but the UDT fluid remains.

At 200 hours and every 200 hours after that the engine oil and filter, and HST filter, are changed.

The fluid is not changed until 400 hours, and every 400 after that, along with the hydraulic filter, and front axle case oil.

1615002203004.png

Reactions: 1 users

Orange Man Good

Equipment
MX5400 HST
Mar 1, 2021
Somewhere Alabama
B2650HST maintenance schedule:

The engine oil and filter, and HST and Hydraulic oil filters filters are changed at the 50 hours initial service, but the UDT fluid remains.

At 200 hours and every 200 hours after that the engine oil and filter, and HST filter, are changed.

The fluid is not changed until 400 hours, and every 400 after that, along with the hydraulic filter, and front axle case oil.

View attachment 55928
Ok, So I'm following you and whitetiger now. The "suction filter" is the Hydraulic oil filter. So that would mean there are two different pumps and hydraulic systems on the tractor. One for transmission and the other one for auxiliary hydraulics such as loader and rear remote valves?

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Ok, So I'm following you and whitetiger now. The "suction filter" is the Hydraulic oil filter. So that would mean there are two different pumps and hydraulic systems on the tractor. One for transmission and the other one for auxiliary hydraulics such as loader and rear remote valves?
Here's a hydraulics block diagram from a B2050_B2350_B2650_B3150 WSM. It appears that the oil gets filtered by the sump suction filter right before the 2 hydraulic pumps, then again at the just ahead of the HST.
One hydraulic Pump (for Power Steering, Independent PTO, HST).
One pump for 3-point hitch.

1615056944076.png

Orange Man Good

Equipment
MX5400 HST
Mar 1, 2021
Somewhere Alabama
Here's a hydraulics block diagram from a B2050_B2350_B2650_B3150 WSM. It appears that the oil gets filtered by the sump suction filter right before the 2 hydraulic pumps, then again at the just ahead of the HST.
One hydraulic Pump (for Power Steering, Independent PTO, HST).
One pump for 3-point hitch.

View attachment 55943
Thanks for the diagram upload Nbryan. Ok so I was almost on the money with what I was thinking but which pump supplies oil to the auxiliary hydraulics?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Here is the schematic for your MX5400. The loader and remotes are plumbed into the 3 point circuit between the pump and 3 point hitch valve.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Orange Man Good

Equipment
MX5400 HST
Mar 1, 2021
Somewhere Alabama
This may be a little off topic but does anyone know who makes the hydraulic pump and wheel motors for my MX series tractor? I know Deere uses Danfoss but who does Kubota use??

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Ok so I am a little confused here and maybe you guys can help clear it up. If you look at the maintenance schedule that I uploaded for the MX series, Kubota is showing that the transmission oil should be changed every 400 hours. However, they are also showing that the transmission oil filter should be changed every 200 hours. So are they saying to change the filter independent of the fluid?
Orangeman... if you look at that mx schedule again.... and look over further to the right side of the page, under the “Interval” column..... you will have your question clarified. (Yes, change the filter at 200 hrs and the fluid at 400 hrs Repetitively.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
If you don't know which filter is which, let me assure you, you will know if you have the wrong one ready to go back on if you take the Hydraulic Suction filter off. They are NOT interchangeable at all. I liken my experience to the monkey trying to put the cork back in. I figured out on my first 50H service attempt on my LX2610SU, that it's smarter to just go ahead and drain the fluid via the drain plugs. So, I had a second and much more successful service procedure on the second try. You have a lot better control of the oil that REALLY wants to come out of that transmission. It just simply doesn't want to be in there any more. Someone posted a rather humorous description of the preparation for a colonoscopy in another thread. Pulling that suction filter off is not much different from effects of the industrial grade laxative given for that procedure. It isn't very nice when your tractor is behaving like it just drank 16 quarts of liquid dynamite. It will purge itself, all over you, all over your floor.

Both filters are actually below the top of the fluid level, and both will 'bleed' if removed without some ingenuity applied, or without draining the fluid. The HST (Transmission) filter can be changed by pulling a vacuum on the transmission case with a shop vac. Use a clothes pin or something similar to pinch off the transmission vent for a slightly better vacuum. This will minimize the 'bleeding' from the HST filter. If you're changing the Suction (Hydraulic) filter, I'm not sure that will help. You're basically opening up the main vein to the heart of your tractor. Good luck with that. In less than 30 seconds, I lost a gallon of very expensive SUDT2. Your safest bet is to keep a dedicated CLEAN drain pan for the SUDT2, and use a funnel with some kind of straining/filtering capability to put it back in. Don't use the same catch pan for motor oil unless you're just capturing it for recycle. If you don't want to put it back in, that's OK too. Just keep in mind that SUDT2 is just over $20/gallon. The LX holds just over 4 gallons (15 liters).

What I learned about the OM for the LX, is that it is WRONG about which filter is who. The instructions for changing the HST filter have a diagram showing the Hydraulic (SUCTION) filter. And vice versa. You can imagine my dismay when the HST filter that I had carefully prepped to be able to put on quickly would not fit while my brand new tractor was puking all over me like a newborn baby that ate too much. If I'd had the right filter prepped, yeah, I probably could have done it without losing much more than a half gallon or so. That was my plan. I read, I studied, I thought, and I STILL got it wrong. I'm a firm believer that when all else fails read the instructions. This time, I read the instructions first. That was my undoing.

Reactions: 4 users