Kubota M4900 will not start, turns over very slowly

RickandBecky

Equipment
Kubota M4900SU
Sep 21, 2020
Tyler, Texas
Our M4900 Special Utility has always started up easily. However, even with a battery that our shop says is fully charged and full power output, the tractor barely turns over and will not start. Even things such as lights will not work. So, is my battery the problem, or could it be something else that I’m missing. Thanks in advance for any help!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Clean the battery cables at both ends of both cables

Or replace them with new cables and clean the attachment point to the frame (ground) and starter (positive)

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Our M4900 Special Utility has always started up easily. However, even with a battery that our shop says is fully charged and full power output, the tractor barely turns over and will not start. Even things such as lights will not work. So, is my battery the problem, or could it be something else that I’m missing. Thanks in advance for any help!
Have you actually had your battery "load tested"!

Reactions: 1 user

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho

Or replace them with new cables and clean the attachment point to the frame (ground) and starter (positive)
+1
Sounds like it could be a bad ground or internally corroded battery cables. It could also be a problem with the starter. Jump the starter from the battery directly. That eliminates the cables. if she doesn't turn over, have the starter tested.

RickandBecky

Equipment
Kubota M4900SU
Sep 21, 2020
Tyler, Texas

I replaced the ground a year ago, so I know it’s good. Will check the positive cable tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

RickandBecky

Equipment
Kubota M4900SU
Sep 21, 2020
Tyler, Texas
Have you actually had your battery "load tested"!
Not sure about it being load tested, but bought it at Interstate Battery. Took it to them to test and they said the battery was good, but they wanted to fully charge it and “condition”it, whatever that does. I don’t have a tester, so assumed they did what they said they would do, but I think the battery is bad. Thanks for the reply!

mbret2004

Equipment
Kubota LX2610
Feb 15, 2022
NEK, Vt.
All great items to inspect/repair/replace. Don’t forget to check the fully charged battery the shop gave you. It might need attention.

RickandBecky

Equipment
Kubota M4900SU
Sep 21, 2020
Tyler, Texas
+1
Sounds like it could be a bad ground or internally corroded battery cables. It could also be a problem with the starter. Jump the starter from the battery directly. That eliminates the cables. if she doesn't turn over, have the starter tested.
Will add to my list of items to test. Thanks!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I replaced the ground a year ago, so I know it’s good. Will check the positive cable tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
When you replaced the ground a year ago, does that mean the ground wire from the battery to tractor frame? If that cable is new, you might remove the bolt at the frame end and clean that to a shine! I'm sure that is what Russell was referring to. Got to have a good ground to frame for power to flow!

RickandBecky

Equipment
Kubota M4900SU
Sep 21, 2020
Tyler, Texas
What happens if you try jump starting it off another vehicle?
I connected jumper cables to the tractor battery, and it did turn starter over,, but still not enough to crank the engine. Today, i am going to attach cables directly to the starter and the ground, and see if that works. May have either a bad starter or a bad cable connection. Thanks!

SinNH

Equipment
L3430 JD 870 Volvo EC35
Sep 26, 2020
NH
Wire wheel in a drill to all the battery and starter terminations until they shine, then dielectric grease.

RickandBecky

Equipment
Kubota M4900SU
Sep 21, 2020
Tyler, Texas
+1
Ongoing issue with starting tractor: This morning, I did several “tests” using different ways of trying to start the tractor: 1) Used my tractor battery, using the jumper cables to connect the battery (sitting on concrete, not in tractor) to hot and ground battery cables in the tractor. Starter turned over very slowly; did not start. 2). Did the same thing, but connected the “hot” jumper cable directly to the starter. Turned over slowly, did not start. 3) Used my truck battery as the starting power—connected ground and hot to the tractor’s battery cables—starter turned over slowly, no start. 4) Connected the jumper cables from truck battery to tractor ground cable and directly to starter—starter turned over slowly, no start. 5) Connected truck battery ground to a bare bolt on tractor frame, then “hot” cable to starter, same results. I’m out of ideas to try. My gut is telling me I have a bad starter. Any further thoughts, anyone?? Thanks!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Ongoing issue with starting tractor: This morning, I did several “tests” using different ways of trying to start the tractor: 1) Used my tractor battery, using the jumper cables to connect the battery (sitting on concrete, not in tractor) to hot and ground battery cables in the tractor. Starter turned over very slowly; did not start. 2). Did the same thing, but connected the “hot” jumper cable directly to the starter. Turned over slowly, did not start. 3) Used my truck battery as the starting power—connected ground and hot to the tractor’s battery cables—starter turned over slowly, no start. 4) Connected the jumper cables from truck battery to tractor ground cable and directly to starter—starter turned over slowly, no start. 5) Connected truck battery ground to a bare bolt on tractor frame, then “hot” cable to starter, same results. I’m out of ideas to try. My gut is telling me I have a bad starter. Any further thoughts, anyone?? Thanks!
Seems as though your "gut" may be correct in this case.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Bad starter!
If you can find a rebuilder they can test it for you.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Looks like you found your problem.