Kubota LA181 front end loader

ridinghigh

Equipment
Kubota BX1500X
Jun 25, 2014
Conroe, Texas
all of a sudden the bucket curl and uncurl function of my loader quit working. Checked the hydraulic fluid and see that all hoses were attached. the bucket moves up and down with the joy stick being moved forward and back, but the bucket won't curl up and down. The joystick which I move right and left to curl and uncurl the bucket seems to be in free flow, and the bucket does not respond. It is in the down position.

I can't keep up my 5 acres without it. It is on my Kubota BX1500D tractor. I bought both in 1995 and had the hydraulic seals replaced on the loader a couple of years ago.

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You said you checked, but I'd say check again. Your description sure sounds like a quick connect that is not totally engaged. Disconnect them (one at a time) and reconnect them, then try pulling them apart again.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
all of a sudden the bucket curl and uncurl function of my loader quit working. Checked the hydraulic fluid and see that all hoses were attached. the bucket moves up and down with the joy stick being moved forward and back, but the bucket won't curl up and down. The joystick which I move right and left to curl and uncurl the bucket seems to be in free flow, and the bucket does not respond. It is in the down position.

I can't keep up my 5 acres without it. It is on my Kubota BX1500D tractor. I bought both in 1995 and had the hydraulic seals replaced on the loader a couple of years ago.

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.
My advice is always the same. Disconnect the base end hose from the quick coupler and and put it in a bucket. Start the tractor and try to curl.

If you get oil out of the hose and bucket curls the disconnected coupler is bad.

No oil and no curl the other coupler is bad.

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When you say it feels like free flow, do you mean the control moves too easy?
If it does then it's a linkage issue.

ridinghigh

Equipment
Kubota BX1500X
Jun 25, 2014
Conroe, Texas
My advice is always the same. Disconnect the base end hose from the quick coupler and and put it in a bucket. Start the tractor and try to curl.

If you get oil out of the hose and bucket curls the disconnected coupler is bad.

No oil and no curl the other coupler is bad.

Dan
I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the only 2 quick connects. Did it about 4 times. No luck.
The other suggestion is to disconnect the base hose coupler and put it in a bucket. First before I try this, it the base hose the one nearer the tractor and not nearer the control box? Guessing it is.

Second, the free movement I am getting is that it does move too easily. So is there a diagram I can follow to see where the linkage is? The manuals you get with your equipment tell you nothing.

By the way guys, you don't know how much forum this means to me. I am a 79 year old woman who has had two Kubota tractors, a GH4200 and now my BX1500 with my first time owning my own front end loader. I have replaced the starters, switches, mower deck bearings, mower blades, etc. and at my age still learning!!! I have found that staffs at the dealerships have trouble dealing with me as a woman so I steer away from them and try to fix or learn how to fix issues on my own.
I truly appreciate this forum website.

Thanks

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the only 2 quick connects. Did it about 4 times. No luck.
The other suggestion is to disconnect the base hose coupler and put it in a bucket. First before I try this, it the base hose the one nearer the tractor and not nearer the control box? Guessing it is.

Second, the free movement I am getting is that it does move too easily. So is there a diagram I can follow to see where the linkage is? The manuals you get with your equipment tell you nothing.

By the way guys, you don't know how much forum this means to me. I am a 79 year old woman who has had two Kubota tractors, a GH4200 and now my BX1500 with my first time owning my own front end loader. I have replaced the starters, switches, mower deck bearings, mower blades, etc. and at my age still learning!!! I have found that staffs at the dealerships have trouble dealing with me as a woman so I steer away from them and try to fix or learn how to fix issues on my own.
I truly appreciate this forum website.

Thanks
To determine base end hose go to the right side bucket cylinder and follow the hoses/pipes attached to the base of the cylinder back to the coupler. Disconnect that hose from the coupler.

Here is a link to the parts diagram for the joystick. Looks like you need to remove the boot and plastic cover to see the linkage. Good chance you will find yoir problem there.

Dan

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
To determine base end hose go to the right side bucket cuylinder and follow the hoses/pipes attached to the base of the hose back to the coupler. Disconnect that hose from the coupler.

Here is a link to the parts diagram for the joystick. Looks like you need to remove the boot and plastic covervto sevyhe linkage. Good chance you will find yoir problem there.

Dan
Dan, I think you neglected the link!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I will blame it on age....

Dan
I appreciate your help. If I was close enough to help her I sure would. A person who enjoys being independent is somewhat unusual these days, but a woman who is willing to work on her own tractor at her age deserves more credit then we can provide!!!

Reactions: 1 users

ridinghigh

Equipment
Kubota BX1500X
Jun 25, 2014
Conroe, Texas
When you say it feels like free flow, do you mean the control moves too easy?
If it does then it's a linkage issue.
Thank you so much for your input. I got it fixed by myself after getting the cover off (which was the hard part - just had to start taking out screws. It was a tiny tiny cotter pin that the pin was gone and the joystick was no longer attached to the bucket. Wow, with a little piece of copper ire i re-fastened it and it works. Hurray!!!

Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thank you so much for your input. I got it fixed by myself after getting the cover off (which was the hard part - just had to start taking out screws. It was a tiny tiny cotter pin that the pin was gone and the joystick was no longer attached to the bucket. Wow, with a little piece of copper ire i re-fastened it and it works. Hurray!!!
Excellent to hear you got it fixed! :)

ridinghigh

Equipment
Kubota BX1500X
Jun 25, 2014
Conroe, Texas
I will blame it on age....

Dan
I don't know if I am being redundant but I don't use this post much. So many of you provided some input regarding my LA181 bucket problem. I don't know how to thank you all so much by telling you I fixed it myself just now. How rewarding. Yeah!!!
If I can ever help all you guys in other states, let me know.
Mary Ann

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I am impressed. A woman who knows which direction to turn a screw to remove it, knows what a cotter pin is, and a joystick, and fabricates a cotter pin. You weren't born in the city!!!!