Kubota L47 intellipanel reads in metric measures

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
For some reason the intellipanel on my L47 reads in metric, such as liters per hour of fuel consumption, kmh rather than mph. Is there a way to swap it over to imperial readings?

I contacted Messicks and was called by their head mechanic who said that he could find no mention of how to swap the readings to appear in imperial measures. I looked all over the owners manual and online an can find no mention of how to swap the metric readings to imperial. I did see how to do it on other L series tractors, which don't seem to use the same intellipanel as my tractor does.

Thank you in advance for the help.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
For some reason the intellipanel on my L47 reads in metric, such as liters per hour of fuel consumption, kmh rather than mph. Is there a way to swap it over to imperial readings?

I contacted Messicks and was called by their head mechanic who said that he could find no mention of how to swap the readings to appear in imperial measures. I looked all over the owners manual and online an can find no mention of how to swap the metric readings to imperial. I did see how to do it on other L series tractors, which don't seem to use the same intellipanel as my tractor does.

Thank you in advance for the help.
Does your IntellIpanel not have a MODE button?

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious which 'L47' ?
I've found the op manual for the L47TL, page 46, shows a 'display button' below the tachometer and pressing it 6 times gives you various display 'modes'.
I K-CA site , they sell an L47TLB... so that's THREE different tractors.......sigh
I could 'assume' they all have the same intellipanel, but I won't ! been down that road too many times.

As for why default to metric... it was designed and built in a land measured in metric dimensions and sold worldwide where the majority of the population uses the metric system.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Welcome to the metric system !

(sorry, couldn't resist)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Thank you for the replies. I can't check the tractor until tomorrow. Ate store bought ""strawbrry shortcake"" and got a gawdawful migraine from the preservatives. I'll post ASAP I can see out of more thanone eye. thank you all.

PS Mine is a 2023 build L47TLB

Last edited:

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
curious which 'L47' ?
I've found the op manual for the L47TL, page 46, shows a 'display button' below the tachometer and pressing it 6 times gives you various display 'modes'.
I K-CA site , they sell an L47TLB... so that's THREE different tractors.......sigh
I could 'assume' they all have the same intellipanel, but I won't ! been down that road too many times.

As for why default to metric... it was designed and built in a land measured in metric dimensions and sold worldwide where the majority of the population uses the metric system.
I understand that. It was built in Japan, or some of it was built in Japan, which is metric. As is Mercedes Benz, Toyota and other European built cars, and they read in imperial units.

I'm sure the readout on the dash on Kubota tractors destined for Japan read out in Japanese and not English.

I'm a retired machinist, so metric or imperial means nothing to me, it's all thousandths of an inch. It's inconsiderate at best to believe that everyone is well versed in conversion from imperial to metric.

If this is the case, it's a lousy way to sell a $65K product to a country that uses imperial measure and not mention it in any brochure.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
True. Imperial measurement put a man on the moon.
I only meant it as a lighthearted joke.
I am old enough to know Imperial measurements very well.
Somewhere in my childhood, Canada switched to the Metric system, so I kinda know both
and even today decades later, some things are still sold or measured in both systems !

I hope you can solve your speedometer (etc.) issues friend.

Good luck

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
I only meant it as a lighthearted joke.
I am old enough to know Imperial measurements very well.
Somewhere in my childhood, Canada switched to the Metric system, so I kinda know both
and even today decades later, some things are still sold or measured in both systems !

I hope you can solve your speedometer (etc.) issues friend.

Good luck
And that is how it was taken, and I was laughing as I typed your reply.

I'm sorry, I'm still a bit cranky from the migraine. I sent an email to Kubota corporate to see if they have an answer.

PS I'm close to kissing 70 on the butt myself.

Reactions: 1 users

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
If this is the case, it's a lousy way to sell a $65K product to a country that uses imperial measure and not mention it in any brochure.
The US doesn't use Imperial measure -- the US gallon is smaller than an Imperial gallon. Both are 4 quarts, but in the US, a quart is only 32 fl. oz. vs 40 fl. oz. in the imperial world. BUT to further complicate the conversion, The Imperial fluid ounce is smaller than the US fl. oz - 28.413 milliliters, vs the U.S. fl. oz of 29.573 ml. So a US quart is actually 33.307 Imperial fl. oz. Or if you prefer, an Imperial quart is actually 38.431 US fl. oz.

Which makes the US quart (0.94L) closer to a litre than the imperial quart (1.14L)

See, you are already damn near metric!

;-)

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Found this in an older thread. It was an L3560, but might work.

Starting with the tractor parked and engine off, turn the key switch to "on" while holding the display mode switch down (button on the console on the left). You should see a screen labeled Service Inspect and a bunch of letters. You should then be able to use the display mode button to scroll through the choices to select J with short button pushes. Open J with a long button push. This is the speed unit input mode. Choose the English units.

To exit this screen turn key to off. (Just tried it again since it had been a while, and even though there is an OK that you might think you could highlight and exit, I could not, but turning key off saved the change.)

Note: the other letters lead to adjustments you shouldn't change!

You can get comfortable with the behavior of this button by practicing setting the HST mode and throttle up settings.

These are found in the WSM if you were thinking of buying it.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Try calling a dealer in Canada. They might have to flip the switch when they take delivery since they are assembled in the USA. Just a shot in the dark. Sort of like the advice your dealer gave ya.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm you'd think as they were assembled in the USA, they'd be set to 'american numbers' and not the World standard of Metric ??
Sadly it appears the selling dealer doesn't have a clue. This should have been at least noticed when the dealer went over every feature of the tractor for the new owner.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
just for some colour commentary.... I used to make a lot of public speaking overseas about ag. business globalization. Part had to do with standards.

Did you know (or do you care)

Countries that refuse to impliment the metric system? Liberia, Myanmar, United States

96% of the world's population uses metric system.
99% of the worlds land mass uses the metric system
85% of the worlds business (GDP) uses the metric system

now these numbers were from a while back but probably still pretty accurate.

For the what its worth category. (haha)

1683160778639.png

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
just for some colour commentary.... I used to make a lot of public speaking overseas about ag. business globalization. Part had to do with standards.

Did you know (or do you care)

Countries that refuse to impliment the metric system? Liberia, Myanmar, United States

96% of the world's population uses metric system.
99% of the worlds land mass uses the metric system
85% of the worlds business (GDP) uses the metric system

now these numbers were from a while back but probably still pretty accurate.

For the what its worth category. (haha)

View attachment 101625

Employed 30 years at the United States National Institute of Standards and Technology which spearheaded the Go Metric movement 50+ years ago and currently maintains the international reference for the meter and kilogram. Yet we still offer master calibration services for instruments/artifacts that measure in pounds and inches......

Dan