Kubota L3901HST engine problem/not starting?

anoldmanandhistractor

Equipment
Kubota L3901HST
Aug 5, 2021
Henderson, KY
New to the forum, found it while trying to search for what is wrong with my tractor. I fear the worst and am pretty certain that is what is going on. Here is the story, buddy was bush hogging, a limb flung back off the front wheel and punctured the oil filter, he saw it and tried to get it to a place we could get the trailer to, drove about 75 yds, just a minute or two, and the low oil pressure light came on and tractor turned off. We went, got a new kubota oil filter, drained and replaced oil, and now we cant get it started. All lights turn on, it seems to want to turn over but it wont. We have checked all safety switches and also the battery, all are good. What would yall do, do we think it was long enough the engine is seized and we are done for, could it just be a piston, or is there something else we could be missing. As I told him, as soon as that stuff happens, shut that thing down, but hind sight is 20/20, so we are here now, what should I do, any input would be great. Thank yall in advance!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
More details are needed. When you try to start it does it make any sound? Is the starter engaging? When the object was throw toward back was any wiring damaged? Did you look under the tractor for something jammed up under the operator's platform?

Reactions: 1 user

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
Yeah, I guess the key question here is if the motor will turn over. If the starter is clicking and the solenoid is engaging - and no crank, then it may be seized.... and that will be expensive.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
So sorry to hear of such an unfortunate incident....

Welcome to OTT, and wish it was under other circumstances.

Definitely check the simple stuff, like Matt Ellerbee said. Is the PTO on? Since it "tries" to turn over, I'm thinking safety switches are satisfied...

Is this tractor financed through Kubota by any chance, with KTAC insurance? If so, you could be golden with a KTAC claim and $250 deductible. KTAC, or some coverage, is a mandatory insurance requirement for Kubota financing.

If starter is engaging as BigG said, my first thought is to try to turn it over by hand.

You will likely need to pull glow plugs, maybe injectors, alternator and water pump belt(s), and maybe a couple other things to relieve compression and make things easier to turn via a crankshaft nut or something you can get a wrench on..... (I'm not familiar with the engine in an L3901).

You may also want to pull starter, as a starter locked into a ring gear/flywheel can make an engine appear seized....this happened with my old '53 'Moline a while back..

Getting a wrench on it to turn it over without compression would give you an idea if it's spinning free, or whether something is spun/seized/damaged, etc..

Guys with more experience than me may have some more advice.

I wouldn't conclude it's set up right now, but it doesn't look favorable....

These modern engines are so tight in the tolerances, and dependent on their systems working perfectly. They can't tolerate interruptions well.

I'm hoping for the best for you....as you said hindsight is 20/20...

Last edited:

Whatscooking

Equipment
Grand L 3130. BX2360. RTV900. GRASSHOPPER 721D
May 19, 2021
Indiana
I have drained all the oil out of engines and made several laps around the building untill the motors would lock up so i doubt the motor is locked, more to the story.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I have drained all the oil out of engines and made several laps around the building untill the motors would lock up so i doubt the motor is locked, more to the story.

Why?

Whatscooking

Equipment
Grand L 3130. BX2360. RTV900. GRASSHOPPER 721D
May 19, 2021
Indiana
Company i worked for as a mechanic had us disable the trucks when it was time to replace. I have taken a torch and cut the frame around the steering gear box. No way they would let them back on the road. Made me sick.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
engine.

they don't run long with no oil pressure. Once they stop, they are done. Rebuildable? LOL! How much money you willing to spend?

Just like your body, when you lose blood pressure you're done unless you "fix" it quick enough. You ain't gonna last long with no blood pressure and neither is your tractor engine.

for anyone who might not be aware, the oil pressure warning lamp in the dash, if that light comes on during operation, shut the engine off immediately. Why? Because that IS the low blood pressure warning. If you're using the machine and the light comes on you have less than 8 psi oil pressure and you should have approx 60 psi. 8 is not enough, and engine failure is likely to occur if u continue to operate the engine. It only takes maybe 30 seconds for an engine under a load with heat in it to self-destruct and normally (with kubota's) they just "stop" (seize). Sometimes they'll break parts and every once in a while they'll send those broken parts directly THROUGH the side of the engine from the inside out, though not very common by design. That's where fire can start and fire is no bueno.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Not to throw the friend under the bus, but you really don’t know how long it ran before he/she noticed the warning. It may be fine.

Maybe your friend follows the same rules that some of us do … if we break it, we fix it.

Good luck!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Geez - - I've heard of companies disabling vehicles.

Always thought it was just a story...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Did you miss the first Obama term? Cash for clunkers ring a bell?
What's an Obama? I'm not into the "hip-scene" of young fellars...😉

I'm just kidding. I didn't equate the disabling with the cash for clunkers program. Thanks for the clarification.

As I recall, Cash for Clunkers skewed the used/new car market big time.....shortages of both used and new vehicles....especially the late-model used as I recall.

Oh wait, we have a shortage of used and new vehicles now, too.... :oops:

History does indeed repeat itself......

Reactions: 1 users

Saturn

Equipment
Kubota L45
Jul 31, 2021
SWPA
Sounds like it was an accident that caused the problem.
Maybe covered by insurance?
Hope all turns out well.