Kubota L3400 Starting Problems

Low Gap Farm

Equipment
Kubota L3400, 7' scraper blade, 6' mower deck, front end loader
Apr 24, 2023
SE Ohio
My L3400 won't start. When I turn the key, nothing happens - no clicking, no cranking, nothing. All the lights are functioning, so the battery doesn't seem to be the problem. I tried jump starting the battery just in case - no success there.

This is a manual model, so the only safety switches (I think) are on the transmission range selector, the PTO, and the seat. When I move the range lever to Neutral, I hear a solid click in the engine bay, which I believe indicates the switch is working. I think (just think) this click also indicates the other switches are functional.

I tried jumping the terminals on the starter. I got sparks and the wire I was using for the jump even started to heat up, but no crank. I'm thinking this probably means the starter is bad. It's really tough to jump between the terminals on this starter - the terminal on the engine side is covered by a rubber boot that is nearly impossible to remove. When I get a chance, I plan to pull that boot off as much as possible and try jumping again.

Any other suggestions? Many thanks!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Explain exactly how you are jumping the starter. I am not sure what your starter looks like but assume that you know what you are doing but just wondering how you are doing it.

And I think the starter should spin regardless if you are applying 12 V to either of the solenoid terminals.

So if it won’t spin then I would take it off the tractor and test it or take it to a auto parts store to have them test it

Low Gap Farm

Equipment
Apr 24, 2023
SE Ohio
Thanks for checking. I appreciate your confidence in my knowledge, though it may be misplaced :). To jump the starter, I'm just running a wire between the two terminals on the starter while the battery is still attached to the one terminal.

Low Gap Farm

Equipment
Apr 24, 2023
SE Ohio
The photo below shows one side of the starter, with the terminal near the motor. The terminal to the battery is on the bottom side of the solenoid, so it's not visible in this photo. I'm running a wire between the terminal in this photo and the terminal on the bottom of the solenoid (again, with the battery still connected to the starter).

1682383651224.png

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No your jumping it wrong.
Large terminal with battery connection on it, to small connection on the side with the Black wire with white stripe.
You need to check fuses and test the starter relay.

Reactions: 1 user

Kubie L3400D

Equipment
L3400DT 4WD, SSQA, Bobcat T190, Flail mower, Brushhog, Brushshark, Ratchet rake
Jun 29, 2022
FredNeck Acres, Tejas
Jumpering the starter with the key in the run position is the place I'd start.

My L3400D won't start unless I toggle the Fwd Rev lever in the Neutral position forward and a hard to the left. I've cleaned the NSS terminals and the shift lever contact area and it still won't start w/o the aforementioned movement.

Low Gap Farm

Equipment
Apr 24, 2023
SE Ohio
Sounds like I've been jumping the starter incorrectly. I'm hoping to get a little time later this week to try it the right way - I'll let everyone know how that turns out.

If the starter is good, I'll move on to the relay testing. The fuses are good, I've checked them.

Seems like starting problems are surprisingly common on these tractors...

Low Gap Farm

Equipment
Apr 24, 2023
SE Ohio
No your jumping it wrong.
Large terminal with battery connection on it, to small connection on the side with the Black wire with white stripe.
You need to check fuses and test the starter relay.
Aha! The correct method of jumping the starter worked. So, I've got a bad switch or relay. Thus far, the fuses I've checked were good. I have a few more to get to. At least I have a way to get it working. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 users