Kubota L1501 Diesel Tractor Grey Import

crusher060

Equipment
Kubota L1501 Diesel Tractor with slasher
Hi All

Am new to the forum and own a property just north of Tamworth in NSW Australia.

The property I purchased included the above tractor which is about 45 years old however it has been refurbished and appears to be in good condition. I have had problems starting in from day one so have taken the following action to date:-
- Full service ie fluids, glow plugs tested and timing checked
- Injector pump was also refurbished
- new battery

When key is turned charge and oil lights illuminate and after warming glow plugs and pulling out primer when you turn the starter engine cranks and almost starts but it just wont fire. I have managed to start it a few times but most times it won't. Battery being used is 660 CCA so it should be enough to turn it over according to the local Kubota dealer. Its starting to really pee me off and I'm not sure what action to take next. Have had a couple of mechanic types take a look at it and they can't diagnose the problem either. Any advice you guys could give would be appreciated

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
First a caution. Do not use starting fluid , quick start or ether.

The time to heat the glow plugs is often much longer than owners think because their experience is with much more modern diesels..

Are you seeing the glow plug indicator glowing red. It is a special wire like a toaster and actually glows red hot.
1649675162341.png

Dave

crusher060

Equipment
First a caution. Do not use starting fluid , quick start or ether.

The time to heat the glow plugs is often much longer than owners think because their experience is with much more modern diesels..

Are you seeing the glow plug indicator glowing red. It is a special wire like a toaster and actually glows red hot.
View attachment 78133
Dave
Hi Dave appreciate your reply. Actually the instructions left by the previous owner was to use starter fluid if the tractor had not been started for a while. As I only get up to the property about every three to six weeks I have been using this. Also he said to warm the glow plugs for ten seconds. I have tried to do this longer but it hasn’t made a difference. I forgot to mention in my earlier post jump starting hasn’t worked unless it is from a friends truck which has a huge battery bank. The only two lights on the dash are the charge and oil? Cheers Mick

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
'pulling out primer'? Does this engine have a decompression knob? If so, it's just to get the engine spinning over, then it's released.
Apparently, they can leak if not releasing properly.
But if ether has been used, I'm afraid damage has been done. I'd start with a compression test.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hi Dave appreciate your reply. Actually the instructions left by the previous owner was to use starter fluid if the tractor had not been started for a while. As I only get up to the property about every three to six weeks I have been using this. Also he said to warm the glow plugs for ten seconds. I have tried to do this longer but it hasn’t made a difference. I forgot to mention in my earlier post jump starting hasn’t worked unless it is from a friends truck which has a huge battery bank. The only two lights on the dash are the charge and oil? Cheers Mick
You need to do a compression test on it.
I think that will answer your question as to why it won't start!

The previous owner did you a huge disservice telling you to use Starting fluid, it bends the connecting rods and breaks the lands on the pistons.
Both of which will drop the compression down to a level were no matter what you do, it will be a hard or impossible to start situation.

Last edited:

crusher060

Equipment
'pulling out primer'? Does this engine have a decompression knob? If so, it's just to get the engine spinning over, then it's released.
Apparently, they can leak if not releasing properly.
But if ether has been used, I'm afraid damage has been done. I'd start with a compression test.
Sorry yes it is the decompression knob. Will get a compression test done cheers

crusher060

Equipment
You need to do a compression test on it.
I think that will answer your question as to why it won't start!

The previous owner did you a huge disservice telling you to use Starting fluid, it bends the connecting rods and breaks the lands on the pistons.
Both of which will drop the compression down to a level were no matter what you do, it will be a hard or impossible to start situation.
Okay that’s a worry hopefully not much damage. Will get a test done in due course

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Good advice above. In addition, are you sure that you are getting adequate fuel? If it has sat for long periods, it could easily have bacteria formed in the fuel, which will coagulate and clog up the fuel outlet in the tank. It can create a hard or no start situation, because it simply won't allow enough diesel to flow to the filter and injection pump.

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
it bends the connecting rods and breaks the lands on the pistons.
Well, to be precise, it CAN bend the connecting rods and break the lands on the pistons. It can even punch holes in pistons and do other nasty things.

But it doesn't do it every time, and the fact that some people get away with it for years with no damage is a big part of why this very bad practice persists.

crusher060

Equipment
Good advice above. In addition, are you sure that you are getting adequate fuel? If it has sat for long periods, it could easily have bacteria formed in the fuel, which will coagulate and clog up the fuel outlet in the tank. It can create a hard or no start situation, because it simply won't allow enough diesel to flow to the filter and injection pump.
Noted thanks. Can you use anything to clear it other than draining the tank and using fresh fuel?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Noted thanks. Can you use anything to clear it other than draining the tank and using fresh fuel?
There are additives that will break up and disperse bacteria, but in my experience (I've been through it a couple of times), draining the tank and physically removing as much of the goop as possible is worth the effort. I make sure that the fuel can flow, I strain the fuel that I drained from the tank, and I treat it. I then keep the fuel treated, so that it won't happen again. Powerservice has a good product, Bio Kleen, which is a maintenance treatment. Lowe's carries it, for a very reasonable price.

I had a 94 Dodge/Cummins that would intermittently quite on me; I found a large clump (about the size of a squashed grape) of bacteria growth inside the fuel strainer. It would float around, and randomly clog up the pick up hole. It had flowed through the holes in the strainer and coagulated. I also had a friend who bought a used JD 790, and it would intermittently quit running. Suspecting the same issue, I drained the tank, and found a clump of coagulated bacteria on top of the pick up tube, in the tank. I back blew air through the fuel line, dislodging it, and I removed as much of the bacteria from the empty tank as I could. The small pieces looked like black pieces of flaky fish food, floating in what little fuel was in the tank. Once it was as clean as possible, I strained the fuel (finding more gunk), filled the tank back up, and added a concentrated bio cleaner (which emulsified what bacteria was in there, allowing it to flow through and burn off). The tractor has run great ever since, with no more running issues. My fiend maintains the fuel with Bio Kleen.

Reactions: 1 users

crusher060

Equipment
There are additives that will break up and disperse bacteria, but in my experience (I've been through it a couple of times), draining the tank and physically removing as much of the goop as possible is worth the effort. I make sure that the fuel can flow, I strain the fuel that I drained from the tank, and I treat it. I then keep the fuel treated, so that it won't happen again. Powerservice has a good product, Bio Kleen, which is a maintenance treatment. Lowe's carries it, for a very reasonable price.

I had a 94 Dodge/Cummins that would intermittently quite on me; I found a large clump (about the size of a squashed grape) of bacteria growth inside the fuel strainer. It would float around, and randomly clog up the pick up hole. It had flowed through the holes in the strainer and coagulated. I also had a friend who bought a used JD 790, and it would intermittently quit running. Suspecting the same issue, I drained the tank, and found a clump of coagulated bacteria on top of the pick up tube, in the tank. I back blew air through the fuel line, dislodging it, and I removed as much of the bacteria from the empty tank as I could. The small pieces looked like black pieces of flaky fish food, floating in what little fuel was in the tank. Once it was as clean as possible, I strained the fuel (finding more gunk), filled the tank back up, and added a concentrated bio cleaner (which emulsified what bacteria was in there, allowing it to flow through and burn off). The tractor has run great ever since, with no more running issues. My fiend maintains the fuel with Bio Kleen.
Okay great thanks