Kubota Insurance

BotaBob20

Equipment
2020 Kubota MX5400
Mar 22, 2021
Central WI
Someone help me convince myself KTAC insurance is truly worth it on new purchase.

Purchasing a MX5400 w/ loader and few attachments about $40k in value......$915/year thats $6500 over life of my loan we are talking 20% of the purchase price of a new tractor. Meanwhile can get homeowner's policy for little over $100/year. i mean that's not a small difference that is like a 5k difference in price over 7 years.

Sure probably more convenient to deal w/ dealership vs some ding bat adjuster. Maybe it covers a little more than normal? I'm not planning on ever leaving property.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
I went through making the same decision a few months ago. Here are a few of the reasons I bought that may be relevant to your thinking. I am a new small tractor owner, so figured my likelihood of damage due to stupidity was bigger than to theft/fire and Kubota's "stupidity coverage" was way broader than home insurer. While not your situation apparetly, I have some adjoining land held in title in partnership with some family that I want to use it on, and our homeowners was dodgy about confirming coverage while off my specific property. I have seen problems with home owers policies covering unique expensive items - guns, art, heirlooms, commercial equipment (even when technically covered in the fine print) - it is just not what it is designed for - I figured a claim for anything but the simplest theft/fire would have been a painful process. Better coverage for listed implements (which are a big part of a tractor purchase I have discovered). YMMV.

Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
My tractor was quite a lot less. I can forsee the possibility that I might leave my property. At the point that you leave, homeowners doesn’t cover the tractor. Even plowing the local private road takes me off property.

Also, I really like that it is true replacement insurance. That is, I don’t just get true market value and have to find replacements. They will replace as new minus the deductible. If something breaks, you covered in almost all cases whether warranty related or not.

Finally, they have an excellent record, and you don’t have to buy from the dealer. You can buy direct from KTAC like I did. The dealer’s barely make any money off it from what I understand.

Reactions: 1 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Most homeowners policy coverage will leave you wanting. Get KTAC and be done with it, it's not a hill worth dying over.

Reactions: 3 users

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
I went through the same thinking and decided to go with KTAC. I really never break or lose anything, but it's my first tractor, first ranch and the coverage is as close to "white glove" as you can imagine. $250 deductible on virtually anything, even the implements, and you deal directly with the dealer to get everything fixed. My homeowners agent didnt really even understand how their coverage worked for a tractor, which was not really reassuring. They also had a $1000 deductible and it was limited to external problems with the tractor, like theft and a road accident, not operating damage. It's pretty clear that the dealers dont make any money off KTAC ($26 is what mine told me). After a year or two you will be a tractor pro and if you never use it you can drop the KTAC and go with the HO insurance. Enjoy your new ride!

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
You never know when something is going to happen. My tractor was destroyed in a fire late last year while working on someone else's property. It's not one of those accidents you think will ever happen to you, but when it does, thank the Lord for a good insurance policy! I would've been screwed with a homeowner's policy.

Reactions: 3 users

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
I have KTAC its a bargain IMO cost me 1602.20 for 5 years

I honestly wouldnt want a claim on my homeowners , state farm doesn't loose $$

Reactions: 1 users

Patt Swilling

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 11, 2021
Cabot, AR
I purchased the policy on my new Kubota recently. I will be nearing my 50-hour service soon. I am aware of the requirement to use the Kubota brand fluids. I would prefer to use Rotella. My salesman said it is extremely rare that fluid samples are taken for warranty work. Only if there is major motor work needed. Most of you will probably tell me that you should only use the Kubota fluids but I find it to be more than double the $ to use the Kubota fluids. Has anyone on this forum ever had their fluids tested while bringing in equipment for warranty work or any work whatsoever?

Reactions: 1 user

vanhanz

Equipment
Kubota L3301 HST, Hustler SD60, Kawasaki Mule 3010 Trans 4x4
Aug 1, 2018
GA
I bought it and just used it after a year. I think it cost me around 3k because I got it for the life of my loan.

I bent the bucket tilt cylinder arm when trying to drag down wood chips from the top of a wood chip pile. Cost was 2800 to repair and dealer wouldn’t cover under warranty. They said to file a claim. I did and the adjuster sent a status within a couple days.

the dealer took about a week and a half to send them pictures and the estimate that I already waited a week and a half for. As soon as they sent it, it was approved and paid for. Dealer took another week and a half to order parts. After that it was a week to get on the schedule to have my tractor delivered back. I ended up picking it up myself although insurance already paid for the delivery. I needed it back because I like to clear brush in the winter when there aren’t ticks and yellow jackets to worry about, plus I needed to mulch my berry farm before the weeds started coming up. Ended up doing the mulching by hand with a wheel barrow. They didn’t even help me load it.
Anyway, KTAC is good just make sure your dealer isnt too busy it may be worth finding a dealer in a less populated area.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
It's unusual for Kubota fluids to be dramatically more expensive than reasonable quality fluids - in fact often Kubota parts like filters are cheaper than other parts. Have you checked prices with somewhere like Messicks to make sure the problem isn't your dealer? I'm not personally familiar with Rotella, but are you sure they're equivalent quality? Kubota don't seem to overprice their fluids, so if there's a difference in price I'd expect it to be the dealer marking it up, or that the fluids aren't of equivalent quality.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
My KTAC story. On a family members 1100c the drivers door was severely bent when the door contacted a tree while the operator was backing. $250 deductible and a couple weeks later dealer replaced door. The next year, passengers door was severely damaged after contact was made with a large tree limb. $250 deductable and again a couple of weeks later door was replaced by dealer. I was told the door cost and labor was $2500 each. So $5000 worth of replaced doors cost $500 and insurance was not canceled and premiums did not go up. My family memebr elected to keep KTAC insurance even after the machine was paid off.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I purchased the policy on my new Kubota recently. I will be nearing my 50-hour service soon. I am aware of the requirement to use the Kubota brand fluids. I would prefer to use Rotella. My salesman said it is extremely rare that fluid samples are taken for warranty work. Only if there is major motor work needed. Most of you will probably tell me that you should only use the Kubota fluids but I find it to be more than double the $ to use the Kubota fluids. Has anyone on this forum ever had their fluids tested while bringing in equipment for warranty work or any work whatsoever?
FWIW, I am also ready for 50 hr service. I talked with service manager about doing my own service and he recommended letting dealer do the 50hr because there are several check torque or re torque items that are not listed in the owners manual. All oil and filter swaps after the 50 do not have any torque items.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I opted for the Kubota insurance plan for the BX five years ago since it was $25/month and cheaper than State Farm. I made use of the warranty a couple of years ago when a massive maple log rolled back into the front of the tractor breaking a bunch of plastic stuff. I used the claim to get a few other "wear and tear" items fixed such as the plastic bezels around the 3-point and transmission controls. Total cost of the repair was around $2,500 and my deductible was $250 with the dealer handling everything.

However, when I bought the MX and learned that Kubota insurance would be $90+ per month and State Farm is $28/month I figured it's worth the risk to use State Farm to satisfy the bean counters at Kubota. The BX is paid for and no longer has insurance coverage but I'm not worried about it. I'm not worried about the MX either.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My 2020 tractor was a private sale, so when I called KTAC today, I was told that they no longer will insure anything that wasn't purchased from a Kubota dealership.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Can Kubota insurance be purchased if I'm paying cash? I would really like to give them my money.
I did last fall, but sounds like it has to be a new dealer purchase, not a private used sale.

bigskyvideo

Equipment
L2501
Mar 31, 2021
Louisville, KY
I did last fall, but sounds like it has to be a new dealer purchase, not a private used sale.
That's good to know. My dealer seems confused on whether it was possible if I were paying cash. He's "pretty sure" it's only available if the tractor is financed. I'll be glad to have that insurance for sure.

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Paid cash for our tractor. Dealer offered to sell us the insurance twice.
Cant imagine why they wouldn't sell you the insurance whether it was purchased with a loan or cash.
Although, it could be to the dealers benefit to sell insurance to somebody who gets a loan through them just in case the tractor gets really beat up and the buyer cant pay for repairs so stops paying on the loan.
Paying in cash, they already have my money so they don't have to worry about me not paying the loan off.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Someone help me convince myself KTAC insurance is truly worth it on new purchase.

Purchasing a MX5400 w/ loader and few attachments about $40k in value......$915/year thats $6500 over life of my loan we are talking 20% of the purchase price of a new tractor. Meanwhile can get homeowner's policy for little over $100/year. i mean that's not a small difference that is like a 5k difference in price over 7 years.

Sure probably more convenient to deal w/ dealership vs some ding bat adjuster. Maybe it covers a little more than normal? I'm not planning on ever leaving property.
Maybe this would sway you???