kubota grey paint

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
anybody recommend the grey paint rattle can kubota color ???
I have used the lobster red rustoleum very nice match and easy to use

to be used on L3300

thanks

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Haven't found a good grey substitute yet but found a cheap match for orange.

I noticed you are a Canuck also.
Home Hardware beauty tone rust paint, the colour is actually "Kubota orange". They carry it in all sizes from rattle can to gallon.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I've had good luck with Rustoleum 7784 Charcoal gray.

Reactions: 3 users

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Just curious why you wouldnt get the paint right from your Kubota dealer. When I need to touch up something, I use the color I need, it matches perfect and is good paint.

Reactions: 1 user

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Just curious why you wouldnt get the paint right from your Kubota dealer. When I need to touch up something, I use the color I need, it matches perfect and is good paint.
Because the dealer usually charges about three times what it's actually worth. If I were going to repaint the whole body, I'd want the correct paint. If I'm repainting stuff that's going to get tore up anyway, like the bucket and attachments, what do I care if the color is a half shade off when it's $4 a can? I have also used the trick of painting a whole item with the cheap stuff, and then fogging a top coat of the Kubota paint to make it match perfectly. I will also say that I have had more cans of OEM paint go bad and not spray than all all of my years shooting Rustoleum combined. I think it sits around the dealers too long and goes bad. I've had it happen with Two colors of Bolens paint, two colors of Grasshopper paint, and one Kubota Orange. The Bolens Green was the only color I never found a satisfactory substitute for.

Last edited:

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Because the dealer usually charges about three times what it's actually worth. If I were going to repaint the whole body, I'd want the correct paint. If I'm repainting stuff that's going to get tore up anyway, like the bucket and attachments, what do I care if the color is a half shade off when it's $4 a can? I have also used the trick of painting a whole item with the cheap stuff, and then fogging a top coat of the Kubota paint to make it match perfectly. I will also say that I have had more cans of OEM paint go bad and not spray than all all of my years shooting Rustoleum combined. I think it sits around the dealers too long and goes bad. I've had it happen with Two colors of Bolens paint, two colors of Grasshopper paint, and one Kubota Orange. The Bolens Green was the only color I never found a satisfactory substitute for.
I was just curious. The stuff I am touching up is on my new tractor so I want it to match perfect. I have had no problems with their paint so far. Can understand using off paint on something that is going to get tore up.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Because the dealer usually charges about three times what it's actually worth.
Gotta agree. I think the last time I was at the stealer, $22 a can. It seems to be good paint, but I don't think it's 5 times better than normal paint.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I paid $12.00 a can at my Kubota dealer for rattle cans. So for me with the prep work it takes to get something ready, It is not worth screwing around with something that almost matches for 1 or 2 cans. If I was buying 20 it would be different. I never questioned anyone what to do with their money. My question was to Vic Gerbasi who posted this thread not any body else. I was curious if it was because he was in Canada it cost more for rattle cans or something with the dealers in Canada that prices are out of line or even if price was the case. He didnt say in his post. That was the extent of my curiosity.

Dieselbob

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Well, as I said, you could paint a tractor with cheap paint, (in my case I use Chevy Orange engine paint), and then you could likely top coat the whole tractor with just one can of the expensive Kubota paint to make it look just right.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
If I was going to paint a whole tractor I would not use rattle cans. I would get a quart of Kubota orange and use a HVLP gun to shoot it for reasons that have been discussed on this forum in great detail.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
the kubota price is very out of line more than double the rustoleum price for lobster red enamel I am just looking for the grey for now
Yea I've had bad luck finding both the Blue (for older Kubota's) and the grey (for newer Kubota's.
I'll look to see if I can find the Rustoleum 7784 Charcoal gray and see how that matches. ;)

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
the kubota price is very out of line more than double the rustoleum price for lobster red enamel I am just looking for the grey for now
Thanks for the reply vic. I was curious in Canada if it was price point or availability. Good luck on your search.

cleo101

Equipment
New Kubota LX3310
Dec 4, 2015
Thorndale, Ontario - Canada
I've had real good luck with this one (see pictures) now I can't remember how I got that number but if you have a home depot in your area that is the number for the new Kubota Grey and it is as close as I ever got it to work and you have to be inches away really starring at it to notice any difference :)

Now I don't know if that would be a different number in the US ??

I did a bunch of painting on my new mods using this and turn out great, if I was to do anything different I would get the full gloss not just semi gloss

Hope this help if you have trouble reading the numbers let me know and I will scan the tag and do a better pic in "PDF"

Attachments

Last edited:

LorenS

Equipment
B2150HSD, Land Pride AT2572, Koyker 120 FEL
Mar 22, 2021
I know this is an old thread, but the fact I found it in a search on this topic means it's not dead. I decided to do a comparison of the Rust Oleum 7784 Charcoal Gray to the Kubota 70000-00210 Dark Gray. The Kubota matches the frame/engine/etc. on my 90's era B2150. The difference in real life is more pronounced than it appears on my computer screen.

Attachments

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Best method by far is to use OEM color with hardner, and sprayed from a real paint spray gun.
Minor touch up...... maybe with a rattle can?

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Took a part of my 3ph to an automotive paint supplier and they mixed up a rattle can for a good match and less than half the cost of the dealer. In the past I have purchased rattle cans from the dealer that were defective from age and low turnover.
I have spray equipment that I use when painting large areas.