Kubota Electric Tractor Survey

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Perhaps I said it poorly... what I intended to suggest is that approximately 30% of the planet gets usable sunlight at any one time. (assuming no clouds). Do not forget that solar panel efficency falls off quickly as the light moves away from 90 degrees of the panels.

Also remember that "energy required" means replacing ALL of our energy-requirements.... not just current electric usage. If we were to include EVERY petroleum user, steel-smelting, ocean-shipping...etc , solar falls short.

This comes around to the original discussion of electric heavy equipment. I do not forsee any replacement for diesel-powered earth-moving equipment.
Agreed.

SDT

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ban coal mining,, and let the bastards freeze inthe dark

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Perhaps I said it poorly... what I intended to suggest is that approximately 30% of the planet gets usable sunlight at any one time. (assuming no clouds). Do not forget that solar panel efficency falls off quickly as the light moves away from 90 degrees of the panels.
. . .
I thought that was true also BruceP but your post got me searching to see exactly what the 'falloff' is when the angle of the sun is something less than 90 degrees to the panel. I found this SITE that is addressing the different tilt angles of panels, from 0 (flat on the roof) to 90 (mounted to a vertical wall). They provide data for 2 locations. Phoenix and Portland. Even 10 or 20 degrees doesn't seem to be a deal killer
1640393962464.png

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
They make ground mount panels whose angle relative to the sun can be adjusted seasonally. Some look kind of like flowers, same principle.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
They make ground mount panels whose angle relative to the sun can be adjusted seasonally. Some look kind of like flowers, same principle.
Even better, some of the early designs included motors and sensors so the panels could rotate on their mount and follow the sun at the most effective angle. I suppose the added complexity and maintenence of moving parts made them less desirable.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Or. . . you can be just a naysayer and be part of the problem. No one is twisting your arm.
To me, making stuff up, like we can power the whole world from a hundred square miles of solar panels in the desert is being part of the problem and not part of the solution.

How about this idea? Make everyone around the world turn off their air conditioners. It will drop the earths temp within a decade. At least this idea will work. Save power by the gigawatt and reduce heat output. - Who's going first?

Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
To me, making stuff up, like we can power the whole world from a hundred square miles of solar panels in the desert is being part of the problem and not part of the solution.

How about this idea? Make everyone around the world turn off their air conditioners. It will drop the earths temp within a decade. At least this idea will work. Save power by the gigawatt and reduce heat output. - Who's going first?
The 100 sq miles comment isn't practical I understand that. However the point being just that much solar on the ground can generate the power needed. The challenge with solar isn't generating when the sun is out...its what to do when it isn't.

I don't have an air conditioner.....so Ill go first. You next.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I thought that was true also BruceP but your post got me searching to see exactly what the 'falloff' is when the angle of the sun is something less than 90 degrees to the panel.
I believe you misinterpreted the table you posted.
I read the table as the panels mounted based on LEVEL (bubble in liquid)... not based on angle to the sun. The table does reveal a 'rolloff' of power generation based on angle to sun.

It is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to have a stationary panel 90 degrees to the sun more than a few minutes a day. There are only a handfull of days a year which a stationary panel can be optimized to the sun.

There is a company here in Vermont (NRG) who design/sell rotators. A set of panels is mounted on a gimbal at the top of a pole. (each pole is ~ 10ft high) Complicated electronics are used to manipulate the panels to be close to 90 degrees to the sun. (There is even a 'safety mode' which detects windspeed and moves the panels to level with the ground which minimizes wind loads)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 47704

I believe you misinterpreted the table you posted.
I read the table as the panels mounted based on LEVEL (bubble in liquid)... not based on angle to the sun. The table does reveal a 'rolloff' of power generation based on angle to sun.

It is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to have a stationary panel 90 degrees to the sun more than a few minutes a day. There are only a handfull of days a year which a stationary panel can be optimized to the sun.

There is a company here in Vermont (NRG) who design/sell rotators. A set of panels is mounted on a gimbal at the top of a pole. (each pole is ~ 10ft high) Complicated electronics are used to manipulate the panels to be close to 90 degrees to the sun. (There is even a 'safety mode' which detects windspeed and moves the panels to level with the ground which minimizes wind loads)
The electronics aren't complicated.My electronics company worked on tracking its fairly basic. The big problem with these systems is keeping it clean.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: How about this idea? Make everyone around the world turn off their air conditioners

Ontario Hydro tried that, well a version, few years back. Free special tstats, that THEY could setback when demand was too high for power. Actually worked well ,too well since demand went down, they jacked up the cost per electron..... Tstat was a std Honeywell unit with a plugin 'daughterboard' for remote setback ability.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Free special tstats, that THEY could setback when demand was too high for power.
Our power company, offers discount if you let them add a remote-control cutout on water-heater. During periods of high demand, they can turn off your hot water heater.

We never noticed any difference with our hot water.... just a lower electric bill.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Our power company, offers discount if you let them add a remote-control cutout on water-heater. During periods of high demand, they can turn off your hot water heater.

We never noticed any difference with our hot water.... just a lower electric bill.
How much lower?

SDT

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
This coming year its getting switched to on demand heater.
Beware: The "on demand" hot water units are kinda maintenance-intensive. The internal fins tend to collect crusty build-up (like a teapot over time). If not 'acid washed' on a regular basis, the efficiency goes to cr@p.

For me, after I did a lot of research, I ended up with a 'normal' hot water heater. The cost over time (initial price, acid-washing,...etc) did not save enough to justify.

I guess in the end, it depends on how much dissolved minerals are in your water supply.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yes, 'tankless' heaters are EXPENSIVE to buy, run, maintain and replace. Most, generally NOT recommended for 'hard' water or well water. Hard water plugs them up, well water is dang COLD compared to city water, costs more to heat. Unless the unit was installed with 'quickconnects', it's real costly to clean them(every 3 years minimum).
Over the past 35 years, I started with electric, rented gas, bought gas, now back to rented gas...$20 a month. Got a new unit,installed for free, last year.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Over the past 35 years, I started with electric, rented gas, bought gas, now back to rented gas...$20 a month. Got a new unit,installed for free, last year.
This is the reason I ended up 'renting' my hot water tank too.... Anytime there is ANY issue with all I have to do is make a phone call.

They show up usually on that same day and install a BRAND NEW tank. They only rent HIGH-END, quality hot water heaters.

Being an engineer, I 'did the math' .... sure I could buy a cheep hot-water heater at Home-Depot, drag it home, lug it into my basement, sweat in new plumbing....etc... then I would have to PAY to get rid of the old tank too.

For me, it is WELL worth the few dollars a month for tank rental which includes, same-day replacement when I have any issues. (My basement has dirt floor so the moisture corrodes the hot-water heater... NOT MY PROBLEM!!)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
We had a timer on our hot water heater, cut the bill by 40 bucks a month. This coming year its getting switched to on demand heater.
Interresting.

My electricity bill runs $70-$90/Mo, winter/summer.

Don't think I would save anywhere near $40/Mo.

SDT

Last edited:

Gb540

Jan 9, 2021
Central US
If I had to choose between an electric and a current emissions diesel, features and cost being otherwise the same, I'd give the electric a close look. Esp. if its a utility machine that doesn't venture far from the buildings.

Franky I don't care if it runs off elections or cetane or dandelions, it needs to be RELIABLE and not bankrupt me in downtime and maintenance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user