Kubota Electric Tractor Survey

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Recently, I received a survey from Kubota about electric tractors; it said that I received it due to my purchase of a sub-30 HP tractor. I guess Kubota is trying to measure interest in electric compact/sub-compact tractors. Based on the questions, it would seem that Kubota thinks such a tractor will be more expensive than a current diesel model. I am sure my answers conveyed my lack of interest and my preference for diesel power.

What were your reactions?
Getting back on topic, I do not want a tractor that must have a very expensive battery replaced in 8-10 years. Nor did this Tesla owner: Tesla owner blows up Model S instead of footing $22,600 repair bill (msn.com)

Reactions: 2 users

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Yup - This issue was mentioned in post #11

• Replacing the batteries will be expensive (including the recycling costs which have not been standardized as of yet)
At this point each automaker has their own proprietary batteries and charging scheme.

We have seen this play-out many times in history.

One of the most notable is IBM who did not think a 'personal computer' would be very popular so they did not make much of it proprietary. They leased an operating system (uSoft DOS) instead of making their own.

It turns out the very reason that the IBM personal computer was a HUGE hit is because it was built from off-the-shelf components/software. This was also their downfall.... Compaq started to build them in a garage for cheep and the rest is history. (IBM ended up selling computer division to Lenovo)

---------------------------------------------
Until there is some standardization within the EV marketplace, battery-replacement nearly guarantees product obsolescence. . At this juncture, everyone is pushing THEIR ideas and products. The winners stand to make HUGE profits.

The automakers have little desire to standardize batteries.... the current EVs GUARANTEE the products will become obsolete. This guarantees future new-car sales.

Hopefully, in the world of heavy equipment (tractors included) standardization of the battery-packs will come more quickly than in the auto world.

D

Deleted member 47704

We have to replace the battery in our electric fork lift, $2500 and on top of the powers that be in Hartford committing us to the most expensive power source (nuke) we are getting a 64% increase in Jan 1.

2500 is cheap compared to the 12,000 for cars. A tractor will be somewhere in between.Electric tractors have their place, its not on the farm or out in the woods.

D

Deleted member 47704

Yup - This issue was mentioned in post #11

At this point each automaker has their own proprietary batteries and charging scheme.

We have seen this play-out many times in history.

One of the most notable is IBM who did not think a 'personal computer' would be very popular so they did not make much of it proprietary. They leased an operating system (uSoft DOS) instead of making their own.

It turns out the very reason that the IBM personal computer was a HUGE hit is because it was built from off-the-shelf components/software. This was also their downfall.... Compaq started to build them in a garage for cheep and the rest is history. (IBM ended up selling computer division to Lenovo)

---------------------------------------------
Until there is some standardization within the EV marketplace, battery-replacement nearly guarantees product obsolescence. . At this juncture, everyone is pushing THEIR ideas and products. The winners stand to make HUGE profits.

The automakers have little desire to standardize batteries.... the current EVs GUARANTEE the products will become obsolete. This guarantees future new-car sales.

Hopefully, in the world of heavy equipment (tractors included) standardization of the battery-packs will come more quickly than in the auto world.

So what you are saying is every manufacturer should use the same design engine.
If they standardize they will be nothing to differentiate one manufacturer from another. Every car will look the same, be the same. No company will have an advantage.
You are talking about communism.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If they standardize they will be nothing to differentiate one manufacturer from another. Every car will look the same, be the same. No company will have an advantage.
You are talking about communism.
Have you looked today's cars and pickups? They already come off of the same design board. The only way to tell them apart is to look at the name plate.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Not exactly.

It would be nice if the BATTERY design was standardized. In this way, instead of waiting for a recharge.... you simply get a battery swap. (not unlike swapping a propane tank for your grill)

However, as an engineer... I am open to ANY suggestions which provides an acceptable resolution to engineering challenges.

In any case, the next several years will be an interesting case-study with EVs. There is sure to be winners and loosers in this brand-new automobile game. Tesla and other 'newcomers' are entering the fray with EXCELLENT engineering and technology. Some of the other automakers are simply "band aiding" stuff together to produce an EV.

If you care to see the inside details of how each automaker is approaching EVs. May I suggest you take the time to review some of "Munro Live" reviews ==> https://www.youtube.com/c/MunroLive

Reactions: 1 user

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Just like gas cars…and most things these days (it seems)…

Designed Obsolescence.