Kubota Electric Tractor Survey

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Recently, I received a survey from Kubota about electric tractors; it said that I received it due to my purchase of a sub-30 HP tractor. I guess Kubota is trying to measure interest in electric compact/sub-compact tractors. Based on the questions, it would seem that Kubota thinks such a tractor will be more expensive than a current diesel model. I am sure my answers conveyed my lack of interest and my preference for diesel power.

What were your reactions?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
Diesel power.

We will need more power plants and a new grid if everything go electric.

Most of the small tractors do get used a lot of hours so they don't cause much pollution.

Reactions: 3 users

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I'm all for diesel, and I hate modern society. But compared to a DPF and regens..........hmmmmmmm.
it might work in a sub 30 h.p. tractor for yard work.

But in 2030 when all the snowflakes are convinced we are all going to be driving electric vehicles, I guess I will have my Kubota diesel generator in the bed of my electric F150 so it has enough battery for me to make the trip to where I work, LOL

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Recently, I received a survey from Kubota about electric tractors; it said that I received it due to my purchase of a sub-30 HP tractor. I guess Kubota is trying to measure interest in electric compact/sub-compact tractors. Based on the questions, it would seem that Kubota thinks such a tractor will be more expensive than a current diesel model. I am sure my answers conveyed my lack of interest and my preference for diesel power.

You are seeing a hint of the future.

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
You are seeing a hint of the future.

Dan
I hope not; of course, I will keep my tractor for decades.

Here is TFL YouTube about towing with the Rivian electric truck. Spoiler, it had to stop for a charge every hundred or so miles going across the country. So for every 2 hrs driving, it probably took an average of 45 minutes plus detour time to recharge.

With a full tank (7 gals.), I can do real work with my LX all day.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm all for diesel, and I hate modern society. But compared to a DPF and regens..........hmmmmmmm.
it might work in a sub 30 h.p. tractor for yard work.
LOL - you know it "might" even work in something a whole lot larger:

Cat R1700 XE

Dan

CM20210611-542e4-da81d.jpg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I hope not; of course, I will keep my tractor for decades.

Here is TFL YouTube about towing with the Rivian electric truck. Spoiler, it had to stop for a charge every hundred or so miles going across the country. So for every 2 hrs driving, it probably took an average of 45 minutes plus detour time to recharge.

With a full tank (7 gals.), I can do real work with my LX all day.
And the Wright Brothers first flight was only 12 seconds long and covered a scant 120 feet.

Dan

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
LOL - you know it "might" even work in something a whole lot larger:

Cat R1700 XE

Dan

View attachment 70932
And the employees will love them because from what I read they need a charge every two hours.....so they will get lots of 20 to 30 minute coffee breaks, LOL
And the battery cost is phenomenal. Plus you need this charger.....or two.

Maybe some day......but even Deere has come out and admitted battery technology is just not there yet.

But it really makes sense in these underground applications where the air quality is not good.

Attachments

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
And the Wright Brothers first flight was only 12 seconds long and covered a scant 120 feet.

Dan
When I say - I hope not, I mean I hope that EVs (and electric tractors) will not be legislated/mandated/subsidized into the mainstream - as is occurring now.

I am all for economically viable progress - not central planning by the government.

Reactions: 8 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
And the employees will love them because from what I read they need a charge every two hours.....so they will get lots of 20 to 30 minute coffee breaks, LOL
And the battery cost is phenomenal. Plus you need this charger.....or two.

Maybe some day......but even Deere has come out and admitted battery technology is just not there yet.

But it really makes sense in these underground applications where the air quality is not good.
"Someday" is coming real fast. GM has already announced their plan to end ALL diesel and gasoline vehicle production by 2035. The other OEMs are following suit.

Go schedule a test drive of a Tesla Model S. It has a highway range of 400 mile, a top speed of 200 MPH and can put 1000HP on the ground at the flip of a switch and launch you from 0 to 60 in 2.0 seconds. Buy it today for the price of a high end Mercedes with less performance. This is reality not fantasy.

Dan

Reactions: 4 users

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
There are ALREADY battery-powered excavators.

From my engineering point-of-view: (simple math can be used to calculate electric-usage by converting diesel fuel usage into KiloWattHours) [1 Horsepower = 746 Watts]
  • The amount of power needed to do this kind of work all day long simply is not available from batteries.
  • The amount of power to RECHARGE in a reasonable time is rarely available. (high amperage 220v)
  • Fast-charging batteries shortens their lifespan.
  • electric-power is not always available where this kind of equipment is used.
  • Electricity has always been one of the most expensive forms of power. (Diesel is one of the least-expensive along with Natural-Gas...both of which are used to GENERATE electricity)
  • Replacing the batteries will be expensive (including the recycling costs which have not been standardized as of yet)

Dont get me wrong. I like my battery-powered push-mower. It lasts about 20 minutes and that is all I need. (I do have to keep the blade RAZOR sharp after every use... lest it does not cut well)

In the end--- we need a breakthrough in battery-technology before EV can be truly mainstream....even then, the COST of electricity will remain higher than any other energy form.

Inherently, any battery which can store MASSIVE amount of power in small space will be dangerously explosive. (battery failure, short circuits...etc) Imagine a tankfull of gasoline releasing all of its power at once!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
"Someday" is coming real fast. GM has already announced their plan to end ALL diesel and gasoline vehicle production by 2035. The other OEMs are following suit.

Go schedule a test drive of a Tesla Model S. It has a highway range of 400 mile, a top speed of 200 MPH and can put 1000HP on the ground at the flip of a switch and launch you from 0 to 60 in 2.0 seconds. Buy it today for the price of a high end Mercedes with less performance. This is reality not fantasy.

Dan
Not me. I'm old school and extremely bullheaded. I will work to afford to buy fuel when it gets even more obscenely priced than it is now because I love the sound and smell of diesel and the sound of gas V8's.
And when they stop selling me fuel, I will be making bio from french fry oil to power my Kubota's, LOL

I have less than zero interest in any of these new alternative powered vehicles. I'm lucky enough that I will hopefully be gone before gas and diesel is.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville

VERY interested. Would suit me fine, as I don't have a need to run a tractor more than 2 to 3 hours at a time. Got solar panels on the tractor garage. Would be A LOT simpler, e.g. no driveshafts. Guess they'd initially need to put PTOs on them but long term each implement would have its own motor. Maybe not.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
What is rarely discussed or printed are the 'numbers' for the cost of the charging stations. For home use, you'll need to update hydro service by 100A. Fine 100 to 200 is a typical upgrade, but... you can't go from 200 to 300, has to be 400. THAT is $$$$$. also ANY upgrade, here in Ontario , triggers a whole house electrical inspection($$$) and pretty suree 99.44% of those inspected WILL require $$$$ upgrades to become 'code compliant'. Best be sitting down when the installer quotes you what arc fault breakers cost !!!! If enough people on the street go EV, the main 3 phase feeds (4800V) will have to be upgraded ALL the way to the substation ($$$) and maybe the transformers there as well($$$$$$$).
Sure EVs sound nice, but look under the 'smoke and mirrors'..it's a HUGE money pit.
BTW cost to replace F150 battery (1 every 6 years) will be about $15,000. Probably more due to salt corrosion effects. There's also GST of 13% on top of the 15K AND 'environmetal disposal fees.

Reactions: 6 users

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
What is rarely discussed or printed are the 'numbers' for the cost of the charging stations. For home use, you'll need to update hydro service by 100A. Fine 100 to 200 is a typical upgrade, but... you can't go from 200 to 300, has to be 400. THAT is $$$$$. also ANY upgrade, here in Ontario , triggers a whole house electrical inspection($$$) and pretty suree 99.44% of those inspected WILL require $$$$ upgrades to become 'code compliant'. Best be sitting down when the installer quotes you what arc fault breakers cost !!!! If enough people on the street go EV, the main 3 phase feeds (4800V) will have to be upgraded ALL the way to the substation ($$$) and maybe the transformers there as well($$$$$$$).
Sure EVs sound nice, but look under the 'smoke and mirrors'..it's a HUGE money pit.
BTW cost to replace F150 battery (1 every 6 years) will be about $15,000. Probably more due to salt corrosion effects. There's also GST of 13% on top of the 15K AND 'environmetal disposal fees.
This is what I was trying to say... many folks do not understand the huge amount of POWER needed to recharge such things. Even home EV chargers are barely trickle-charging using 220v 50A clothes-dryer outlet.

..and electricity is the MOST EXPENSIVE form of energy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Everything the "short sighted" do not think about and realize.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I'm in Northern Ontario and I still remember the summer that we had a complete blackout for 3 days because too many people in Southern Ontario turned their air conditioners on.

So what is going to happen when everyone has their vehicles plugged in too?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
This is what I was trying to say... many folks do not understand the huge amount of POWER needed to recharge such things. Even home EV chargers are barely trickle-charging using 220v 50A clothes-dryer outlet.

..and electricity is the MOST EXPENSIVE form of energy.
Of course it requires power. The data are in. Depending on your location and residential power rate a full 400 mile charge on a model S costs somewhere between $6 and $16 dollars. It can be done overnight using a dryer circuit or a bit faster using a home charger. If you have rooftop solar you can cut that cost by daytime charging.

Dan

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
This has disaster written all over it. We are losing grid capacity due to older plants taken offline, not enough investment in nuclear power, and eventually coal plants outlawed. Nothing planned that can replace it.
Add a huge EV load to the grid and see what happens.
Keep an eye on this issue in California for the next few years if you want to see our future.