Kubota Diesel Motorcycle

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
When I tried to fit the clutch to the shaft, I didn't notice that the key way in the clutch shaft was not broached to the standard depth. It was about .055" less than standard. I don't want to go any deeper in the stub shaft with the key way because I'm afraid it would crack and lead to failure. So I machined down the key and checked for fit.

That should be the program!

Attachments

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Congrats on a successful and clean result!

For future reference, while a slotter (or shaper) would be easiest for a job like that, you can do it on a lathe. Easiest is to take an old school HSS boring bar, the kind with square holes at 90* on one end and 45* on the other end. Grind the bar similar to boring, but with the cutting edge and clearances rotated for broaching. With the part still in the chuck jaws, you then rack the carriage toward the chuck to make the first cut. Clear the bit using cross, rewind the carriage, in-feed for next depth of cut with cross, rack the carriage down, repeat until desired depth is reached. If you can grind HSS bits, this should be straight forward, though a bit slow and laborious...

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
With the part still in the chuck jaws, you then rack the carriage toward the chuck to make the first cut. Clear the bit using cross, rewind the carriage, in-feed for next depth of cut with cross, rack the carriage down, repeat until desired depth is reached. If you can grind HSS bits, this should be straight forward, though a bit slow and laborious...
Don`t forget step 1 -- lock the spindle in position.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Flying to Dallas to work on the bike some then bringing it back to OH via Uhaul. The load home will include a spare parts bike and a Dieselized KLR that is road ready. Will use it to commute this summer. Approx 55mph cruiser @ 120+mpg

https://youtu.be/HbDcLHvKiU8

Attachments

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeppers I wana see this frankinbike on the road !! Gawd this is like watching Roadkill Garage :D

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Coach,, I know where there is an old Ural I wonder how hard it would be to go with something like that in a hack?

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Coach,, I know where there is an old Ural I wonder how hard it would be to go with something like that in a hack?
There has been numerous Ural Conversions to diesels. Many fit a 3cyl diesel in them real nice. Seen a few where they remove fuel tank and relocate it as a side tank between bike and hack. Friend of mine has done three of them.

I'd suggest a north south engine placement with a short chain and sprocket up to an aux. shaft that runs a CVT First pulley. Belt to the Last pulley being direct drive of U joint for the driveshaft. Reason for the semi-redundant chain and sprockets is so one can tune final ratios more easily.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Check out ... (Kowbota url)

I know Kelly Flynn of SW Motorsports who put the Kawabota together. Interesting project but I think the bike looses all its advantages by becoming way to heavy.... (Kowbota adventure page)...
Well aware of the Kowbota. We have communicated off and on.

Not sure about the KLR.... it is known to be a very heavy Adv. Bike in the first place so it may weigh about the same with diesel??? not sure though maybeee more? Your friend will know this better than I. On that build they they used a D950; the largest and heaviest of the Supermini Kubota engines.

As for my Tiger. though.... am betting it will end up lighter than stock. Tiger is a 3cyl engine already from factory PLUS transmission tagged on the engine. Mine will get the lightest Supermini when looking at it with a weight to power ratio eye (D722); though this mayyy be marginally heavier "engine" than stock .... I'll have about 4/5ths lighter tranny than stock (a CVT setup). So overall pretty sure I'll end up lighter than a stock Tiger. Still with that I might find it is too heavy for me. Im only 150lb soaking wet. Will see.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Of the bikes bought back the KLR diesel is now licensed and my computer to work rig. Might have to fill the tank ..... ahhhh, once a year say around mid-Oct? When I put it away for the winter. :D