Kubota Cold start Issues due to Water build up...???

kubota4x4

Equipment
B2630
Jan 26, 2021
Canada
Hey Folks
Just bought a 2008 B3030, 500 hours, was well kept in heated garage. Everytime we started it fired right up during purchase. It was minus 13c & i transported it. Upon arrival it just started & died. Added new Diesel about 5 litres & diesel conditioner (riesol) with no results, cranked n cranked, even jumpstart didnt work. I see filter has frozen stuff inside. Question is 1. Would this need a complete fuel system flush. 2. More importantly Would this have affected the fuel injectors ?
Appreciate. Thanks.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
By the looks of those pictures those filters are .... well - BEYOND help!!!

Personally I would drain fuel - take all lines off - replace lines, filters ......

add diesel additive to new fuel - bleed the hell out of it ............ and be glad when it starts.

The filters have done their jobs - stopped all "stuff" getting to the injectors - so if you start over, you should be fine.

I would be looking at another fuel source too - there is a good bit of moisture in there - it somehow got past one filter to the other.

Report back !

Reactions: 3 users

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
Is it water or did the fuel Gel from transporting? It looks a lot like gelled diesel fuel. I would remove the filter and bring it someplace warm and let it thaw. A lot of times once diesel gels, its really hard to "ungel" it in cold temperatures. Fuel treatments work well before it gels, but once it has, they usually don't help much. If it is water, you will be able to see the separation. If its just gelled diesel, it will return to normal once it thaws.

If it is water, you should take all of the advice already given by 85Hokie. You don't want contamination making it to your injectors.

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Looks like you need some additive to unbelievable the fuel like Power Service Diesel 911 Winter Rescue Formula Diesel Fuel
Or you may be able to get it into a heated area and let it warm up,

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hey Folks
Just bought a 2008 B3030, 500 hours, was well kept in heated garage. Everytime we started it fired right up during purchase. It was minus 13c & i transported it. Upon arrival it just started & died. Added new Diesel about 5 litres & diesel conditioner (riesol) with no results, cranked n cranked, even jumpstart didnt work. I see filter has frozen stuff inside. Question is 1. Would this need a complete fuel system flush. 2. More importantly Would this have affected the fuel injectors ?
Appreciate. Thanks.
Yes, the filter needs to be changed.

I would also drain and replace the fuel. Most likely it has summer fuel in the tank. Add fuel treatment to the new fuel.

Be careful when cranking, especially when bleeding. Starter motors are intermittent duty motors not designed to operate for periods exceeding about 15 seconds without a lengthy cool down time. Ignoring such precautions will result in damage to the starter.

SDT

Reactions: 3 users

kubota4x4

Equipment
B2630
Jan 26, 2021
Canada
By the looks of those pictures those filters are .... well - BEYOND help!!!

Personally I would drain fuel - take all lines off - replace lines, filters ......

add diesel additive to new fuel - bleed the hell out of it ............ and be glad when it starts.

The filters have done their jobs - stopped all "stuff" getting to the injectors - so if you start over, you should be fine.

I would be looking at another fuel source too - there is a good bit of moisture in there - it somehow got past one filter to the other.

Report back !
Thank you all for the feedback. It was transported prior to it it ran really well, blew snow for about 10 mins idled for a good 15 min. I guess its gelled diesel, it could a 2 year old diesel. BTW the tank cap was not even shut tight was very easy to open.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Hey Folks
Appreciate. Thanks.
The clear fluid below the red ring in the cup is water or ice, depending on the temperature.
The inline filter that has been added should be removed. The hose with the spiral loom should be on the outlet port of the filter head.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The clear fluid below the red ring in the cup is water or ice, depending on the temperature.
The inline filter that has been added should be removed. The hose with the spiral loom should be on the outlet port of the filter head.
Whitetiger
Good call re the add on filter. Probably tells a lot about the previous owner's fuel quality.

Dave

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Whitetiger
Good call re the add on filter. Probably tells a lot about the previous owner's fuel quality.

Dave
Dave, the added fuel filter may not be because of previous owner's fuel quality, because some folks just overthink everything so two filters has to be better then one.;)

kubota4x4

Equipment
B2630
Jan 26, 2021
Canada
The tractor was looked at by PO mechanic, fuel & filters replaced. Started briefly but died. He said solenoid needs replacement and hence has been ordered. Will update if that resolves the issue.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Due to the fact filters have been changed if it was my tractor or under my care I'd add sufficient amount of anti gel fuel conditioner then bleed air out & attempt to start engine. With the high price of filters I'd save the old filters for use next Summer. With only 500 hrs on this unit I see no need to replace any fuel hoses.

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
Are you sure the fuel system was bled of air properly? it would seem odd to me that a solenoid would be the cause as it ran fine before the fuel issue. Sometimes with all of the lines and everything replaced, it may take a few bleeds to get all of the air out. Even just a filter replacement can cause some air trapped issues.

it’s free and may not be a bad idea, go out and open The air vent on the fuel system and crank the engine over. It if starts, let it run for 30 seconds or so and close the air vent While it’s running This should remove the air in the system. Of course, check the manual for proper bleeding of your tractor, but that is how most that I have seen are done.

also, was your tank full or at least a few gallons of fuel in it? the mass of more fuel in your tank will help push the new fuel through. Most manuals recommend a full tank to help push the fuel through.

Last edited:

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Are you sure the fuel system was bled of air properly? it would seem odd to me that a solenoid would be the cause as it ran fine before the fuel issue. Sometimes with all of the lines and everything replaced, it may take a few bleeds to get all of the air out. Even just a filter replacement can cause some air trapped issues.

it’s free and may not be a bad idea, go out and open The air vent on the fuel system and crank the engine over. It if starts, let it run for 30 seconds or so and close the air vent While it’s running This should remove the air in the system. Of course, check the manual for proper bleeding of your tractor, but that is how most that I have seen are done.

also, was your tank full or at least a few gallons of fuel in it? the mass of more fuel in your tank will help push the new fuel through. Most manuals recommend a full tank to help push the fuel through.

This is exactly why we converted the fuel filter to a Raycor fuel water separator. Got is at West Marine specifically for diesel fuel. The petcock lets me drain the bowl and the water stays below the filter...

Attachments