1/2 Cup - Brown Sugar
1 Cup - Paprika
1 T - Black Pepper (fresh ground)
1 T - Salt
1 T - Chili Powder
1 T - Garlic Powder
1 T - Onion Powder
1 t - Cayenne (very much optional)

This rub is good and I make it in large batches to keep on hand. Multiply by 4 and it will fit perfectly in a large McCormick spice container. These are the same large clear plastic type that spice is sold in at Costco or Sams Club. Make enough and you can use this rub on just about everything.

Quick refreance to go up times 4:
1/2 cup = 2 cup
1/4 cup = 1 cup
1 T = 1/4 cup
1 t = 1 T

T = Table spoon
t = tea spoon

------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove whole chicken from bag. Cut out the back bone and discard. Seperate the skin from the meat by working your hand between the meat and skin but do not remove the skin!
Clean and rinse chicken under running water.

Butterfly the chicken by placing on flat surface or cookie sheet bottom side down and skin side up. Place the heal of one hand on top of the chicken in the middle, between both breast. Now put your other hand on top of the one touching the chicken and give it the heimlic procedure pressing hard and furm. You will hear and feal a lot of cracking. The chicken will now lay flat and this helps with even cooking and prevents it from curling up.

Place some of the rub in between the skin and meat. Don't put a lot, just a little and spread it around. Now sprinkle some of the rub all over the outside of the chicken.

Set the chicken in the fridge.

You will want the grill HOT! Here is my method. Using charcoal get it going as you normally would. When it is gray and ashed over spread it for the first layer. Now get more fresh charcoal and lay another bed across the first. Welding gloves really help at this point.

The reasons I add the second layer is: Each batch of charcoal will last about one hour and some of that time was already spent just getting it going. It may not last the time it takes to cook a whole chicken, sometimes about an hour. The second is to get that grill nice and HOT!

When the second layer has grayed and ashed over I add some mesquite wood. Although any wood will work as long as you keep this in mind: fruit or nut. If the wood came from a fruit or nut tree you are good to go. I also use cherry and orange wood.

I take a chunk of wood about the size of a fist and rap it in foil with a small opening at the top. Place this at the end of the coals oppostite of the lid vent. The heat will cause the wood to smoke but will not burn as long as it's in the foil. Not using foil and soaking the wood will not prevent it from burning. The water will evaporate quickly and the wood can now flame up.

Get the chicken and place it skin side down directly on the super hot grill and char it for a little bit. 20 seconds or so. If the grill is not super hot, the skin will stick.

Flip the chicken and spend about the same amount of time charring this side. In this picture you can see the light amount of smoke from the mesquite.

Place the chicken on the top rack for indirect cooking and cook to 165 F. When this temp is reached remove and wrap in foil for no less than 5 minutes. During cooking the juice's were being forced out so when you foil it and let it sit the juice's will begin to work there way back to the middle of the meat.

Be careful when cooking and don't leave the area to insure you don't burrn up this tasty bird. If needed prop the lid slightly open.

If you don't have a grill with a top rack but have a more traditional Weber type then set it up for indirect cooking. Keep all the coals on one half for the searing and char in the beginning. Then move the bird to the opposite side of the grill with NO coals under it. The heat will now be indirect comming from the other side.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Looks really good though I wonder if you could cover it with foil and lay it onthe muffler and go cut the field below the barn,,,, might just be long enough,, done mowin and suppers ready,,lol

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Looks really good though I wonder if you could cover it with foil and lay it onthe muffler and go cut the field below the barn,,,, might just be long enough,, done mowin and suppers ready,,lol

skeets you're a quick thinker with that one hand of yours! And it's a damn good idea too, I like it! Just think how hungry you would get mowin down the field smelling that nice chicken cooking right in front of you :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dusty I am NOW a two handed huntin pecker,,lol,, they took the case off,, you have no idea how good it feels to lift a beer with the right hand,, well maybe you do :D That chicken does look really good,, and this just might be the weekend to try it out

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Dusty I am NOW a two handed huntin pecker,,lol,, they took the case off,, you have no idea how good it feels to lift a beer with the right hand,, well maybe you do :D That chicken does look really good,, and this just might be the weekend to try it out

Well, congratulations on having the cast removed! Most of all glad to see you got your retro-convertion back to being a two handed huntin pecker :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya know I was just reading you post about "huntin pecker" and it reminded me a old gal I use to know ,,,she would do that on Friday nights,,:D

Les

Equipment
B7100D, FEL, Box scraper
Dec 2, 2009
Reno NV
Scott, tried your RUB yesterday on pork ribs 6 hrs @ 212 in the smoker
OH Boy the perfecy rub with a little room to customize. I always hated buying ready made stuff and never made one that really hit me till now!!
The chicken is all rubbed down for tonight.
Funny the trails these orange tractors take us down.

Will In Tx

Equipment
L3400 HST/FEL, Box Blade, RTV 900 Camo, ZD323 Zreo Turn Pro Mower + More
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
Tonight I rubbed the chicken down and beef ribs.....
Kubota chicken licken later is the day ...............cann't wait!! :):):):)

Will In Tx

Equipment
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
Tonight I rubbed the chicken down and beef ribs.....
Kubota chicken licken later is the day ...............cann't wait!! :):):):)
Ok, tried the beef ribs......will keep my rub. Sorry!!!! :eek:

Have not tried the chicken, but it is Kubota Orange!!!

Will In Tx

Equipment
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
Just tried it on the Chicken!!!!! Yeah Buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was DAM GREAT :eek:
Two thumbs up - Uncle Willy in Rosharon, Tx.

That rub is way better on chicken;) Love it!

digg71

Equipment
B3200 w/ FEL, Box Scraper, Post Hole Auger, 4' Rotary Cutter, Snowblower
Mar 7, 2010
Western N.Y.
My girlfriend and I tried the Kubota chicken today and it was amazing!. Thanks for the great recipe traildust!. It didn't quit look as good as your chicken in the pics, but it sure was delicious. By the time it was done, both legs fell off...haha

We have some rub leftover for next time too, very good stuff! It took about an hour.

Jim