Kubota building a pole barn (practically by itself!)

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
Here is a short video of how we are planting the 20 foot long 6x6 pressure treated poles in four foot six inch deep holes (with 6 inches of concrete in the bottom for the poles to rest on. This might be considered tractor abuse but I go really slow and it doesn't seem to be that harsh on anything. There is a 3/4 inch rubber mat between the bucket and pole and the straps and chain are rated at over 3000 pounds. I also make sure nobody is around but you could technically install these poles by yourself, which is amazing since they are about 250 pounds.

Video got cut off at the end (memory card full) but there is enough there to show how I am doing it. Once the pole is seated on the concrete footing and near vertical, I brace it with 2x4's and then detach the bucket.

The hardest part was digging the holes. This area has 2 foot boulders and really a auger would not have worked. I used a 12 inch bucket and the hydraulic thumbs (which do get in the way but are useful for pulling the boulders out of the hole).

Mod Edit: The embedded link doesn't work for me:
So here is the direct link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKkgfKdeWb4

Last edited by a moderator:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
wanted to see.....

somehow an error occurred!

that thar is genius......

nice job

Last edited:

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
Yes, I don't know why imbedding it between youtube brackets doesn't work. The raw link seems to work now. Maybe the forum blocks direct imbed of video?

Nevermind, fixed it with wife's help.

Last edited:

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
LIKE! Great idea, and one I will keep in mind.

I needed to pull this 450 pound AC unit down the other day. I got it for free in exchange for some crane work (my day job) and thought it would be just the thing for the shop. BUT, the intake filters (which draws inside air, dirty shop air) clogged way too fast, and I realized what I really needed was a big swamp cooler, filling the shop with a constant supply of cool "new" air. Rather then drive the crane up where I live from where I keep it in town, I eased it off the platform with the U25s, stopping and unhooking it when it was almost teetering, then I climbed up and a light push toppled it off, and it's going to the recycler tomorrow.

Attachments

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
No fair, that takes all the work out of it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That's the same procedure I use to put a 40' ladder on a barn. It's too heavy and awkward for two guys to put up, but a strap around it and a backhoe puts it right in place!

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
That is very cool!
Thanks for posting.
:D