Kubota B7100 4x4 pilot bushing help

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You keep saying it's bad, but WHY do you think it's bad, what are the symptoms your getting?

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
What, exactly, are the symptoms you are experiencing? Was the bushing an OEM one sourced from Kubota, or an aftermarket one?

I know (oh boy do I know!) that it can be tricky getting the FWD shaft engaged while inserting the transmission shaft through the clutch at the same time -- they are on an angle to each other -- however, the end of the transmission shaft doesn't make it to the pilot bushing in the crankshaft until well after the driveshaft is engaged. If you used a clutch-centering tool when you bolted the clutch to the flywheel, the clutch itself should guide the shaft into the pilot bushing with no possibility of damage to the bushing.

You did use a centering tool when installing the clutch, right?

BBRE

Equipment
Zen noh zl 1511 fd
Dec 11, 2023
Louisiana
What, exactly, are the symptoms you are experiencing? Was the bushing an OEM one sourced from Kubota, or an aftermarket one?

I know (oh boy do I know!) that it can be tricky getting the FWD shaft engaged while inserting the transmission shaft through the clutch at the same time -- they are on an angle to each other -- however, the end of the transmission shaft doesn't make it to the pilot bushing in the crankshaft until well after the driveshaft is engaged. If you used a clutch-centering tool when you bolted the clutch to the flywheel, the clutch itself should guide the shaft into the pilot bushing with no possibility of damage to the bushing.

You did use a centering tool when installing the clutch, right?
I don’t have one but I will be looking for one now. Thanks

BBRE

Equipment
Zen noh zl 1511 fd
Dec 11, 2023
Louisiana
I don’t have one but I will be looking for one now. Thanks
Unfortunately there are no listings for a b7100 centering tool and I have no idea what the diameter and spline count is for that tractor. Do you have any idea where I can find that information or a part number?.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you could probably use a broom handle or similar for the 'centering tool'.BTDT, 2000, to install clutch in 1st D-14.Lotta hours of use/abuse on that tractor, still great. Since then learned a Chevy tool is the same diameter and teeth.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The sounds your describing are not the pilot bearing but the throw out bearing being bad.
One common mistake is putting the throw out bearing on backwards, yes it can be done on this model.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Unfortunately there are no listings for a b7100 centering tool and I have no idea what the diameter and spline count is for that tractor. Do you have any idea where I can find that information or a part number?.
A properly sized piece of wood dowel can be used for the job.

BBRE

Equipment
Zen noh zl 1511 fd
Dec 11, 2023
Louisiana
The sounds your describing are not the pilot bearing but the throw out bearing being bad.
One common mistake is putting the throw out bearing on backwards, yes it can be done on this model.
It sounds like a throw out bearing but it is not. That was changed also and worked perfectly for about a month the one replaced was not bad either but since I took it off I put on the new one

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It sounds like a throw out bearing but it is not. That was changed also and worked perfectly for about a month the one replaced was not bad either but since I took it off I put on the new one
just because something worked perfectly for a month doesn't mean it failed.
and like I said they have know to be installed backwards and they work for awhile then they fail.

Pilot bushing issues do not make noise on these units.
They can be completely out and you never know it.
I think you need to open it up and see what going on, my guess would be a bearing on the front of the transmission.
But without a video with sound on the issue its all just a wild guess.

BBRE

Equipment
Zen noh zl 1511 fd
Dec 11, 2023
Louisiana
just because something worked perfectly for a month doesn't mean it failed.
and like I said they have know to be installed backwards and they work for awhile then they fail.

Pilot bushing issues do not make noise on these units.
They can be completely out and you never know it.
I think you need to open it up and see what going on, my guess would be a bearing on the front of the transmission.
But without a video with sound on the issue its all just a wild guess.
My question would be why did it work perfectly after being replaced the first time and quietly. I will get a video. May take a while

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My question would be why did it work perfectly after being replaced the first time and quietly. I will get a video. May take a while
I'm not sure what changed, you might find the pilot bushing has failed, but if it has then it's not the bushings fault it's the out put shaft or bearings on that shaft that are causing the failure, or it does have a bent mounting plate.
In the pictures I don't see axle bars, and without those its very very easy to bend the tractor at that plate mount which can cause all the issues your experiencing.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One other common issue is this joint being worn allowing the shaft to wobble and bind.

1702928460858.png

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
As others have implied, you don't have to match the splines, just the ID of the splines and the ID of the pilot. That will hold the clutch disk centered on the crankshaft while you torque down the mounting bolts, after that the springs will keep it in place.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
From my reading of this, NIW is saying that the bushing being worn out could be a "symptom" , not necessarily the actual "problem".

I could envision how replacing the bushing quieted it down, and simply "masked" the actual problem for 30 days or so.

Either way, it appears as if your going to get a second shot at it, so take some good pics and be sure to check the plat at the input shaft.