Kubota B6000 glow plugs info and upgrade

flangefrog

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Nov 29, 2021
Auckland, New Zealand
These are the original glow plugs from a B6000. They say Y-107-1, 46 and 10.5V on both of them.
20211214_185129_HDR.jpg 20211214_190725.jpg

They measure 971mΩ and 989mΩ which would make for 10.8 or 10.6A current draw respectively at 10.5V.
20211214_213203_HDR.jpg 20211214_213410_HDR.jpg

There are a couple other threads of interest:

On this thread there are a few people saying they had shorter glow plugs than the Y-107-1. I'm not sure which is original but I'm guessing it's Y-107-1 as seems to be more common.

Over here someone tested their glow plugs and found them to be 9.65A at 10.5V which makes them 1088mΩ, not far off mine.

I sometimes had a bit of trouble getting the B6000 to start when it was in use a long time ago. But I never understood back then that these glow plugs require at least 20-30s of preheat time (the sticker had worn off).

There's a bit of useful information on glow plugs at these two links:

I've also attached several of the best resources I could find about glow plugs. They are all well worth a read.

My understanding after reading all of that info is the following:

Glow plug heating time is mostly all about the glow plug and controller, not the engine (although some engines will require less pre or post heating etc). So it seems feasible to upgrade to a better glow plug and controller. The Y-107-1 is the oldest and slowest type of metal sheathed glow plug. There are various types that it could potentially be replaced with. I think anything that works mechanically should be fine if the right controller is used.

The original Y-107-1 glow plugs are hard to find and expensive in New Zealand. They are available if ordering internationally for $35 NZD ea for two or $23 ea for four. I found some cheap and fast glow plugs on clearance at Repco that might work. They are NGK 1229 Y-107R for $16, HKT CP07 for $11 and an unknown one for $4.

The NGK 6625 Y-107V is a Rapid Glow, 6628 Y-017T is Fast Rapid Glow, 1229 Y-107R is QGS (it says AQGS at the link, not sure that's correct though). NGK 5287 CY57 is ceramic self regulating and is included as it's similar to the HKT CP07 glow plug I found.

The Y-107V or Y-107T look like they might be a drop in replacement for the existing glow plugs although you'd still have to be careful not to hold the key on too long or it might burn them up even though they regulate temperature somewhat. The HKT CP07 (which I think is ceramic self regulating) may also be a drop in replacement. It seems a little different mechanically though and not sure if it's supposed to have reduced voltage going through it after it's heated up. As it's ceramic it should be capable of higher temperatures and might be a better choice for afterglow.

I think I'm going to get the Y-107R glow plugs. They should fit well mechanically and provide pretty fast heating. I think these may be single coil, so no inbuilt temperature regulation. I will need to make or buy a controller for it. Repco has the Powertrain Glow Plug Timer 12/24v - DGPT100 for $67 and it looks fairly good. 1-20s preheat and 1-20s afterglow. It doesn't say much about the control scheme apart from afterglow is pulsed. I think i'd prefer to make my own controller so it's more integrated and I know exactly what it's doing.

My plan:
Try a similar setup to that in aqgs.pdf. I'm not sure the Y-107R is supposed to go as low as 6.5 or 5V as it says 10.5V on it. But it may be that the Y-107R is not designed for afterglow so it only has the voltage used for preheat on it.

On turning the switch to ignition, glow plug light will be red and it will preheat for a short time based on coolant temperature. Either at the equivalent of 10.5V with PWM or full battery voltage and using energy/joules instead of time. Glow plug light will then turn green and voltage/duty cycle will lower to maintain temperature for up to 30s. Voltage/current may be modified while engine is cranking. Afterglow will be applied at lower voltage/duty cycle until a certain amount of time is up or coolant reaches 70°C. Glow plug light will turn off when the glow plugs are off.

I won't get around to doing this for some time as the tractor is currently in pieces.

Attachments

Last edited:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Measuring your glow plugs cold can only tell if they're open or shorted. When power is applied the resistance changes radically. Ten amps at 10.5 volts is about the correct value. Check each of your plugs by putting an ammeter in series when it's activated. The resistance when hot may be calculated by dividing the applied voltage by the current flow. You'll get just under one ohm each. I can't tell you which are the appropriate plugs for your tractor but you can drop an email to the nice folks at NGK and they can tell you what's appropriate for your machine.

flangefrog

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Nov 29, 2021
Auckland, New Zealand
These NGK Y-107-1 glow plugs are the old single coil type with no built in temperature regulation. So the resistance doesn't change much depending on heat. I measured one of the glow plugs for at least 30s at around 10.5V and the current/resistance was pretty constant.
20211215_234603_HDR.jpg 20211215_234046_HDR.jpg
NGK-Y-107-1-30s.png

I'm not wanting to just replace the glow plugs with the "correct" type - these both work just fine (although one seems slightly bent) but the glow plug system is outdated so I want to upgrade it to a much faster system.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I recommend sending an email to the folks at NGK. I had an old Mitsubishi tractor used. It came with Y-114 glow plugs as I recall. NGK and a Mitsubishi dealer said it should have Y-110 plugs. Both fit, the Y-110 was just the slower version. I don't know the difference, I just put in the correct plug. I also replaced the glow wire regulator as it had been burning out plugs. I don't know how it worked out over time, I sold the tractor.