B6000 Glow Plug Information

B60004x4

Equipment
FEL, stock tiller, 36" ganon, 60" scaper blade
Nov 9, 2019
Los Angeles
I've seen a few posts on here about glow plug operating current, testing, etc. I decided to run a few tests on a new set of glow plugs so that the information would be available for everyone. I have a B6000, for reference.

During glow-plug warm up, the switch sends the current through the indicator coil first, and then to the glow plugs. The indicator coil is intended to bump the voltage for the glow plugs down to ~10.5V. The reason for this is that the glow plugs will actually see ~10.5V when starting the engine because of the large draw from the starter, even though the switch during starting sends the battery power straight to the glow plugs.

I hooked up brand new glow plugs (NGK Y107-1) to my constant-voltage power source that displays output current. While they were at full temp (red hot), they were consuming 9.65 amps each when powered with 10.5V. So, for those of you trying to size wire for your project, you can assume 10A per plug, or about 100w.

Hope this helps someone...

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Thanks for posting the info.

I've included the following link in the event anyone want to see the GP Specifications. Just remember to select the specs tab after the link is loaded.

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=16113

I was wondering if it is possible to convert the GP circuit on these tractors to to the newer quick glow style. On my Grand L's the GP only stays on for 10 seconds max at the coldest temperatures. This is all that is needed as the GP is red/white hot in about 4 seconds. It seems like the older systems with the glowing element in the dash take considerable time to reach operating temperature. Its likely an equivalent sized GP could be found and a simple circuit with relay could be added to energize the GP's directly without the glowing dash indicator. Perhaps an alternative to consider if the older GP systems is failing. (Just make certain to use the GP with the appropriate voltage)

Notice they refer to this GP differently than the link above (GP used in L4740-3). Need to click on "SPECS" to see what I'm referring to.

Plug Type: Advanced Quick Glow System

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=16088

In the event it helps anyone, here's a list of NGK glow plugs: https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/files/NGK_Glow-Spec.pdf

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Both of the above posts were very helpful.

I would like to add a word of caution for others considering testing their GP's.

Most manufacturers of conventional style glow plugs only want power applied to their GP's when the GP is connected thermally to a significant mass of metal. i.e. screwed into a cylinder head or scrap head. There is significant thermal energy moving from the body of the GP into the cylinder head. This moderates the thermal expansion rate the GP sees. Applying 12 volts directly to a non mounted glow plug may result in the GP tip exploding.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Excellent caution, Dave. I did not know that. I did know NGK specifies voltages other than twelve for most plugs. I also know the purpose of the glowing indicator is to act as a series dropping resistor for voltage applied to the glow plugs. Sometimes when glow plugs stop working it can be due to corrosion on the wires of this resistor which should never be bypassed to restore the function of the glow plugs. Without the dropping resistor they will burn our more quickly.

B60004x4

Equipment
FEL, stock tiller, 36" ganon, 60" scaper blade
Nov 9, 2019
Los Angeles
Both of the above posts were very helpful.

I would like to add a word of caution for others considering testing their GP's.

Most manufacturers of conventional style glow plugs only want power applied to their GP's when the GP is connected thermally to a significant mass of metal. i.e. screwed into a cylinder head or scrap head. There is significant thermal energy moving from the body of the GP into the cylinder head. This moderates the thermal expansion rate the GP sees. Applying 12 volts directly to a non mounted glow plug may result in the GP tip exploding.

Dave
I only ran it long enough for the current to stabilize but, you are right, I wouldn't recommend keeping them lit up for an extended period of time... My guess is that they can take some abuse, considering the service conditions they are exposed to, before swelling up (or worse).

Irish farmer

Equipment
Kubota B6000 4wd
Jun 4, 2023
Ireland
I purchased an old Kubota B6000 4wd about a year ago. It has been running/starting great. I noticed that the glow plug indicator coil is missing, went looking for one and found this thread. Basically looking for advice on weather or not I should fit one, as I've had no issues, as yet, with that side of things.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Yes I would indeed install the glow plug indicator and probably also replace the glow plugs

indicator part number is (in the USA)
Kubota #15231-65950 LAMP