Kubota b5001 noisy mid section?

RicePaddyFrog

Sep 22, 2019
Krasang, Burriram, Thailand
Hi all,

First let me give thanks to all the post that has helped me getting my tractor up and running.

I am in Thailand. I am not Thai. Got a Japanese B5001 in about 90% condition with a rs900 rotovator. Full checkup and service, and it was a go!

I noticed in 5th and 6th gear when running a bit faster there is a 'whizzing' mechanical noise from the mid section. Not noticeable in 4th gear as the tractor goes too slow. This noise is there with and without 4x4 engaged and with and without pulling a wagon or the rotovator attached.

I am thinking bearing? Clutch? It is not giving any problems right now but I'd like to get it sorted out already.

There is a guy in our village that has a B2000, basically a big brother version of mine. I have asked him and he does not know. His does not do that.

Any comments on this?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hi all,

First let me give thanks to all the post that has helped me getting my tractor up and running.

I am in Thailand. I am not Thai. Got a Japanese B5001 in about 90% condition with a rs900 rotovator. Full checkup and service, and it was a go!

I noticed in 5th and 6th gear when running a bit faster there is a 'whizzing' mechanical noise from the mid section. Not noticeable in 4th gear as the tractor goes too slow. This noise is there with and without 4x4 engaged and with and without pulling a wagon or the rotovator attached.

I am thinking bearing? Clutch? It is not giving any problems right now but I'd like to get it sorted out already.

There is a guy in our village that has a B2000, basically a big brother version of mine. I have asked him and he does not know. His does not do that.

Any comments on this?
The best thing to do for noise related issues, is to upload a video to someplace like youtube, give us a link to see it, and let us hear what your hearing.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My first thought is a throw out bearing not fully released. Maybe the throw out bearing holder hasn't been greased for a long time and needs some help. Doesn't take but one pump about every year!

RicePaddyFrog

Sep 22, 2019
Hi All,

Apologies for the late reply. The rice season is basically over and I can get my little tractor back in the shop to work on it.
In the past 4 Months all she needed was a new Fan-belt. I am highly impressed and proud of this machine.

Ok so, D2Cat, I never knew about the release bearing probably because the guy who wrote the manual also did not know :p:p:p. I did find the port and gave it a pump or two. Clutch is smooth and fine thanks.
The port for those who don't know is on the left hand side of all B series tractors.

Wolfman, I have tried to make a video of the noisy squeal but it does not come out on the video properly.

Hence the squeal is still there when running faster. And I have notice when turning a bit sharply the noise changes as the wheels turn with the 4x4 drive shaft.
I have inspected my trans tunnel also and has found that a seal has popped loose from the 4x4 return drive shaft cover. Managed to clean it up and push it back in.

Now I want to get to the bottom of this problem as I strongly believe that the issue is in the joint case cover. If not, I am starting my troubleshooting in there.

I removed the rubber clamp to have an inspection and found a little gear oil leaking from the cover. Might as well be leaking as I ramped the tractor about 3 bricks up to get my body underneath it. I don't know.
Sorry no pic.
And the shaft where it enters the cover has about 3mm to 5mm movement. I am not happy about that. The seal is leaking and there is probably a rotting bearing or 3 in here.

According to the manual (B5100 series), It looks like I can pull the joint case cover back without disturbing the assembly on the bevel pinion. Yet there is nothing on how the shaft get connected to the pinion. (where the purple question mark is)

Is there more info on this? Anyone did this before? Can I pull the joint cover back over the 4x4 shaft to inspect without splitting the tractor?

Thanx!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It looks like I can pull the joint case cover back without disturbing the assembly on the bevel pinion. Yet there is nothing on how the shaft get connected to the pinion. (where the purple question mark is)

Is there more info on this? Anyone did this before? Can I pull the joint cover back over the 4x4 shaft to inspect without splitting the tractor?

Thanx!
A roll pin on the yoke attaches the yoke to the shaft, the shaft is held in the case with a snap ring. ;)

RicePaddyFrog

Sep 22, 2019
Gidamit, I never closed this tread from my side, apologies.

From the Japanese/French B5100D-B5100E Manual... just beautiful...
Dirt has entered through the oil seal(10) and went between the pipe(1) and the shaft(12) through the bushing(9) making the terrible noise to pile up in the joint casing(3) mixing with the grease.
The pipe is held in place by the oil seal at the transmission end and the pipe bush at the casing clamped together with a rubber(2) at the differential end.

Due to some dents on my pipe and the way the pipe was designed to be held in place, at higher revolutions of the shaft (engaged in AWD or not) my pipe got a slight wobbling ;) and at the bushing the sound of a witch having a laugh could be heard.

b5001allradshaft.jpg

So by removing the casing and pulling it backward toward the transmission end, I was able to push the roll pin out (green arrow) North Idaho Wolfman was talking about and pull the whole casing, pipe, rubbers, bushing and all forward for a cleanup. The grease turned to grinding paste.
20200124_154229.jpg

The oil seal was vitally non existent with most of it grinded away hence there was little clearance between the pipe and the shaft before the transmission pinion and only held together by the casing rubber keeping the pipe and bushing in place.

I replaced the oil seal(10) part 09230-20325 some slight greasing and a hand cut felt gasket.

Unfortunately I could not remove all of the little dents in the wobbly pipe. So from time to time that awful sound come back to haunt me. By simply twisting the pipe an inch or so by hand re-seat the bushing and pipe as it does gets play due to the forward axle oscillation.

Not the best design I'd say but the whole idea is to protect the drive shaft and it is very important on such a low clearance tractor.

Thanks to all(y)