Kubota B26 Shutting off randomly while operating

Ylr

Equipment
Kubota B26
Feb 9, 2024
Pennsylvania
Hi Everyone,

my Kubota b26 has been shutting off randomly. It will shut off while digging or just driving around and using the bucket. That being said sometimes it will run for a couple hours without any issues. my property has many slopes. Most of the time the tractor is shutting off while going up or down a slope. It makes me think it’s some sort of tipping sensor maybe? Sometimes once it shuts off it won’t let me start it back up for a few mins, not sure why there is a delay on starting it back up. This makes me think again it’s some sort of safety switch.

a little background when I purchased the tractor the seat sensor was broken from the seat itself just hanging on the side. I looked online and found a way to bypass it. I thought that was the problem but it keeps on happening.

does anyone know if there is an additional sensor on this tractor that kicks on when the tractor gets to a certain slope degree and shuts off to prevent the tractor from tipping over?

I also checked the fuel filter and it seems clean but didn’t replace it yet.

thank you in advance!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
this... It will shut off while digging
I don't know exactly what a B26 is.....but...
seems to say you have a backhoe on it. if so there's usually another 'safety switch' on/near the seat.
see if you can get the WSM for the wiring diagram.
as a switch was busted when bought, could also be a frayed/damaged wire randomly shorting out,so look real good where the seat switches are.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
this... It will shut off while digging
I don't know exactly what a B26 is.....but...
seems to say you have a backhoe on it. if so there's usually another 'safety switch' on/near the seat.
see if you can get the WSM for the wiring diagram.
as a switch was busted when bought, could also be a frayed/damaged wire randomly shorting out,so look real good where the seat switches are.
A B26 IS a dedicated backhoe machine!

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Suspect seat presence switch first. Moving around on slopes could trigger it.

Plastic seat bottoms, age and hillside farm aren’t good for seat switch life on our farm. Neither is needing to stand to see with some FEL operations. They get replaced with weatherproof rubber switch to make an anti-theft feature.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
When this cuts off - does it slowly cut off ? Like sputter or just like someone pulled the off switch?

Jay,

this is the B26:

1709566878948.png

Reactions: 1 user

Ylr

Equipment
Kubota B26
Feb 9, 2024
Pennsylvania
When this cuts off - does it slowly cut off ? Like sputter or just like someone pulled the off switch?

Jay,

this is the B26:

View attachment 123599
when it shuts off, it feels like someone just turned the key to the off position, engine completely stops regardless of what rpm it was on.
I did check the seat presence sensor mentioned on the other reply. The bolts that are holding the sensor down seem to be loose enough to allow a bit of wiggle on the sensor. I tighten them down to see if that’s the problem. That being sometimes even when I get up from the seat it will try to shut off the same way.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I wondered as often you see incomplete model info posted...
and of course Kub Cda parts was 'out of order'....

Garvini

Equipment
Kubota b26 hydraulic thumb pallet forks
Apr 4, 2022
Hingham, Massachusetts
You need to completely bypass the seat switch and see if that solves the problem or not…I had some broken plastic that holds the switch so mine stays bypassed…just make up a short piece of wire with male spade connectors and replace the switch with that

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You need to completely bypass the seat switch and see if that solves the problem or not…I had some broken plastic that holds the switch so mine stays bypassed…just make up a short piece of wire with male spade connectors and replace the switch with that
BINGO!

Garvini

Equipment
Apr 4, 2022
Hingham, Massachusetts
the b26tlb isn’t really a dedicated backhoe, it has a three point hitch setup with a rear PTO but the backhoe is pinned right to the mainframe not to the TPH like other attachments and it has a separate hydraulic pump

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
the b26tlb isn’t really a dedicated backhoe, it has a three point hitch setup with a rear PTO but the backhoe is pinned right to the mainframe not to the TPH like other attachments and it has a separate hydraulic pump
Hate to disagree with you but the B26 is a true TLB (Tractor, Loader, Back Hoe).
As the BH is on a subframe 4 point mount.
But more importantly is that fact that the hydraulic pumps and systems are designed around the Loader and BH being used for extensive length of times without over taxing / over heating the system.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hate to disagree with you but the B26 is a true TLB (Tractor, Loader, Back Hoe).
But more importantly is that fact that the hydraulic pumps and systems are designed around the Loader and BH being used for extensive length of times without over taxing / over heating the system.
YUP!
The B26, the L47, and M62 are the current "dedicated" models.

Garvini

Equipment
Apr 4, 2022
Hingham, Massachusetts

so how does the BH attach on its little sister the b2601…isn’t the BH mounted on the TPH?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
so how does the BH attach on its little sister the b2601…isn’t the BH mounted on the TPH?
It mounts to a subframe too, almost all of the BH's do now.
The TPH mounted ones cause too much damage.

What makes the B26 a TLB and not a tractor with a BH is the hydraulic system and heavier loader.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The BH's between the two are not the same, the TLB uses a much heavier built BH.

Difference is a B26TLB comes with a BH and the three point is optional.

Where the tractor, b2601, the three point is standard and the BH is optional.

Here are the 2:
They technically do not call the mount on a B26 a sub frame, just the frame.
as it's just part of the tractor build.
And FYI they also call it a MAIN FLAME... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You can see a huge difference in the two.

1709602623537.png

B2601 Subframe
1709602393823.png

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here is the page from the WSM that explains what's all involved with the system.

1709603933563.png

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The BH's between the two are not the same, the TLB uses a much heavier built BH.

Difference is a B26TLB comes with a BH and the three point is optional.

Where the tractor, b2601, the three point is standard and the BH is optional.

Here are the 2:
They technically do not call the mount on a B26 a sub frame, just the frame.
as it's just part of the tractor build.
And FYI they also call it a MAIN FLAME... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You can see a huge difference in the two.

View attachment 123640

B2601 Subframe
View attachment 123637
I could likely do just fine with a B26 TLB, but I shall NEVER surrender my VERY low hour L48 TLB.
No anti pollution garbage or potentially troublesome electronic on my l48 either.
(I do realize that the B26 is not required to be Tier IV compliant, but the L47 and M62 TLBs are).

Ylr

Equipment
Kubota B26
Feb 9, 2024
Pennsylvania
Suspect seat presence switch first. Moving around on slopes could trigger it.

Plastic seat bottoms, age and hillside farm aren’t good for seat switch life on our farm. Neither is needing to stand to see with some FEL operations. They get replaced with weatherproof rubber switch to make an anti-theft feature.
The seat presence switch is this correct? (See photo attached) It was loose, I tighten the two bolts holding it in place and the tractor wouldn't start. I remove the sensor and taped the lever in place so it wouldn’t move. I was able to operate the tractor for about 3 hours without any issues shutting off. I’m assuming the sensor is bad so I’ll order a new one and replace it.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The seat presence switch is this correct? (See photo attached) It was loose, I tighten the two bolts holding it in place and the tractor wouldn't start. I remove the sensor and taped the lever in place so it wouldn’t move. I was able to operate the tractor for about 3 hours without any issues shutting off. I’m assuming the sensor is bad so I’ll order a new one and replace it.
Yep that looks like your issue!