Kubota 6100E

Leigh

Jul 18, 2015
Indiana
Hey guys!

I am trying to either fix and keep my 1983 Kubota 6100E 2WD or fix it to sell. To make a long story short, it has a small pinhole in the top of the radiator. That's it, otherwise it runs like a top. With Woods 48 Mower and blade.

Should I fix it with AlumAseal? or JB Weld epoxy? Do those even work on radiators?

What would be a fair asking price with this minor issue, and what would be fair if I fixed it? or added a new radiator? I was asking 2800 hundred.
Could I install a radiator myself? I have done wiring and plumbing around the house, what's involved?

It's in great shape, far superior than most I've seen that were listed for 3400 hundred. Tractor Blue book says around 4800 if it has issues, or minor body flaws.

Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Never use any kind of sealer in these tractors, as you can do permanent damage to the radiator and the motor, there is no water pump so the sealer will just sit and plug everything up.

If you've done plumbing before, why not just solder the hole closed?
That would be a permanent and proper fix for it! ;)
If you can't do it yourself take it to a local radiator shop.

Do you already have it listed on tractorhouse.com?
If that's it, then it's not a bad looking or running tractor, you should be able to get your price for it.
If it's not then look at that one and compare. :)

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"a small pinhole in the top of the radiator" indicates you know exactly where the leak is. You can clean the metal with a fine emery paper, then wipe clean and then use JB weld.

Use the 5 minute weld because it sets up faster. You can take a piece of duct tape to put over the epoxy to keep it from flowing around as it sets up. Don't squish the duct tape down, just form a bubble with it around your epoxy. Shouldn't take more the a pea size amount of epoxy.

Don't put any additive in the cooling system to stop the leak or you may have additional problems.

Leigh

Jul 18, 2015
Indiana
Thanks guys I'll take your advice. Yes it's the E listed on Tractor house. It's a great Tractor just need to fix it.

jay87t

Equipment
B6000
Aug 4, 2013
Niagara Falls
I had a pin hole on the top of mine as well,I just cleaned it very well, and soldered it, solder stuck to it no problem and sealed the hole, use lots of flux.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
What's flux? I don't have a welder that's the thing.
Leigh, you don't need a welder -- in fact, even an acetylene torch would be overkill for your task.

Flux is a material that aids low-temperature welds, such as soldering (which you would be doing); silver-soldering; and brazing. Soldering can be done with propane gas or MAPP gas or acetylene gas (and oxygen), and all the parts you would need (gas; torch; solder; and flux (the flux designed for the solder you choose), plus optionally a lighter though I don't use one, and emery cloth) can be found at your local hardware store or one of the "big box stores". Propane is the most affordable.

To repair your radiator, you should use emery cloth to clean the rad to shiny metal about 1/2" around the hole. The flux might be in paste form, or liquid -- either works, though paste might be more useful for solder tasks in the future. Apply flux to the area, and begin heating until the flux melts (follow the directions on the can), at which point it's almost time to bring the solder in. When the metal is hot enough, touching the solder to the tank (don't direct the flame at the solder, aim it away a bit) will instantly melt a bit of the solder and it will spread out around the spot you touched.

You won't be able to instantly solder it up, so take this approach: heat the repair area, then apply solder, then heat, then solder. Tiny steps, building up a thin film of solder around the hole, then finally bridging the hole. When you are heating, move the solder away from the flame, heat it a little, move the flame away and apply the solder, like a dance, keeping the flame and the solder from meeting.

It may seem very intimidating, but once you've successfully soldered something, it becomes fun and you get like a guy with a new hammer -- looking for something to...

If you want more assurance, do a YouTube search, you can become a master just watching the vids. :D

Hope I've made the process clearer. Please keep us posted on your progress. And you would be advised to heed the rants of TomCat and skeets and a number of other picture junkies: "Without pics, it didn't happen!"

Leigh

Jul 18, 2015
Indiana
Thanks so much guys! I'll certainly try to find the hole and solder it. Can I buy a small blow torch for the job?