Kubota 2660 Runs Hot

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
My Kubota 2660 runs hot, right at the red line. I was going to flush the radiator, but can't find the drain plug. Nor can I actually get to the radiator because it's encased with the body and frame. I noticed that the battery is setting right in front of the radiator. Does the battery prevent the fan from working properly? It looks as if only about 20% of the radiator actually gets air. It has run hot since I bought it used earlier this summer, but now it is very hot. Thoughts?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 It helps if you include the Whole model # BX2660 when asking questions, I about said your B2660 snow blower doesn't have a radiator! ;)

Have you pulled and cleaned the screen (marked in yellow)?
after you pull the screen, with a garden hose, gently flush out the fins (exterior of the radiator) both front and back, pull panels, grill, battery if you must to get access.
There is a clamp and plug to drain the radiator (marked in blue), is the radiator full of antifreeze, and does it look clean, nice and green, or other colors, yes not rust colored? If it's full and clean don't bother to drain it, a slipping belt, bad water pump or plugged radiator fins (exterior) is more likely your problem.

Most BX's do fine with heat, not a design problem at all.

BX2660 radiator.JPG

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would start with a thurough cleaning of the fins on the radiator. Although antifreeze never freezes it does however loose it's ability to dissipate heat. Unless you're using extended life coolant it needs to be changed every 2 years.

If it were mine I would drain the system and flush it out with clean water then refill with new 50/50 mix. That way you know for sure the coolant is up to par and should function properly.

AshleyBS55

Equipment
L245DT 4WD
Sep 30, 2013
Palestine, WV, US
Thanks for the feedback from both of you. I'll be sure to use the full model number from now on. Yes, I've pulled the screen. I'll clean the fin and if it's still a problem, now that I know where the drain plug is, I'll flush the radiator. I'm sure that will fix it.

Petegoud

Equipment
L3200HST
Oct 8, 2012
Chehalis,WA
I had a similar problem when I bought my L245DT. The previous owner had complained about it for some time to the dealer. Turned out the fix was fairly simple. It turned out that most of the radiator fins were plugged with mud, hay, etc. After I cleaned the fins the overheating problem went away.